flying to manaus brazil

dalliowner

I notice that American Airlines fly to Manaus from Miami but the flight leaves only 90 mins after the BA flight from London. is that to close for comfort ???:)

On the best of days Miami isn't an overly efficient airport. For me that 90 minutes would be cutting it too close.

Miami airport (like many, if not all US airports) stupidly does not have "in transit" - meaning you'll have to fetch your baggage (after waiting), then clear customs (long line), then go through security (longer line)- again.

This makes a 90-minute turnaround just about impossible.

We just arrived in Manaus for embarkation on Quest tomorrow.

We flew Phoenix to Miami and spent the night in an airport hotel. It took around 10 minutes to walk from our gate to the baggage claim and then another 15 minutes waiting for the bags.

If you are arriving international then you need to allow additional time to clear immigration and customs. Miami is a busy international airport and that could be slow. You then need time to recheck bags, check in with American (if not checked all the way through), clear security and get to your departure gate.

In other words, having just 90 minutes is cutting it vey fine in my opinion.

We flew down here with TAM which is an American codeshare. Flight was fine. Nice business class which was full of Seabournites. Manaus airport is not busy and was easy to navigate. I changed $100 cash at the airport rather than risk an ATM. Rate wasn't great but hey-ho .... we are on holiday.

We are staying at the same hotel Seabourn uses - the Ceasar Business Manaus - but have booked it privately (i.e. not the Seabourn package). It is much cheaper that way. Plenty of taxis at the airport and fare was 65 Reales to the hotel although we did tip the driver who was very nice. Taxis are painted black and the drivers wear a green shirt uniform.

Hope this helps.

We just arrived in Manaus for embarkation on Quest tomorrow.

Have a great sailaway. All of us joining for the crossing appreciate you embarking early to ensure she is properly provisioned for the journey.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the Amazon leg... its on my bucket list!

We live in Atlanta, the gates in Miami can be a good jog away without having to clear customs, FYI. We did the Amazon (Manaus-FFL) last year and it was great. If you get a chance, get a boat to take you up the merging of the two rivers, it's a must see. You will cross over it on SB, but it is fun to see in a small boat. The Giant Water Lilies are also nice if you have time. One of the ports has a on river fish market, sorry don't remember which one, they feed the Pink Dolphins, which is fun to see. Not sure if you are headed north or south, but both are fun, safe travels. Cheers.....

Has anybody changed planes in Sao paolo for Manaus ? The flight I am looking at has a 2hr 20 mins transfer time between flights . I would think this was ok but any experience of cc`s would be helpful:)

Has anybody changed planes in Sao paolo for Manaus ? The flight I am looking at has a 2hr 20 mins transfer time between flights . I would think this was ok but any experience of cc`s would be helpful:)

I've changed planes in São Paulo - different itinerary and airline and cleared in under an hour including having to collect and recheck luggage. I'd defer to more recent travelers though as to what norms are like now. If you are on an interline (same itinerary, same alliance) ticket then you'd be able to use the transfer desk (whereas I had to clear customs, check in with a new airline, and check my bags to Curatiba). It's definitely a more than legal connect time though!

Slightly OT:

If flying with TAM out of Sao Paulo do not prebook the emergency exit unless you speak Portugese. TAM is totally rigid regarding this, and I was literally forcibly reallocated to a middle seat in the back of the bus even though I do understand Portugese well and have proficient training in emergency evacuation procedures on various commercial aircrafts including the A320 we were on.

My experience is that the minimum Miami connecting time for your return to the U.S. depends upon the time of the day (some times are busier than others) and whether or not you are connecting to a flight on the same airline (for example, American has a conveyer belt drop off immediately outside its assigned customs area). Under the best of these possible scenarios, I'd allow a minimum of 2-1/2 hours and a minimum of 3 hours under the worst of these possible scenarios. Included in my recommendation is an allowance for your flight to arrive 30 minutes late.