Visa for India

Bowie MeMe

Does Oceania order visas for India in your name or must you get the visa on your own? If you have obtained a visa for India since 2014, could you please tell me how you obtained the visa and the cost. Thanks. Going Singapore to Abu Dhabi in April 2017 on Insignia.

Getting Visas for India is a nightmare even from a fellow Commonwealth Country like Australia . Like a standard passport photo is not accepted, no the Indians require a specific rectangular size . And questions you won t believe, they are absolutely obsessed with anyone who might have been to or associated in anyway with Pakistan .

Make sure you follow their instructions to the letter of the law otherwise they just return everything !!!! without explanation .

Remember it was the British who invented "red tape" but it took our Indian friends to perfect it !!!!!

Why Australians and Canadians need Visas for India at all is not logical, as fellow Commonwealth countries .

Edited by kuldalai

Yes, a little complicated, but not that bad to get one here in Toronto, Canada.

We had free visa service as a perk from Oceania (not usual) so we used their designated agency - it had an office here in Toronto.

We needed to fill in documents online, print them and send them with our photos and passports to the visa agency. I chose to hand-deliver since I wanted to ensure it was right.

The only wrinkle is that my DH and I both had to initial each page of the document check list. Silly, but required.

It seems that in the US, the proper agent is listed here:

https://www.indianembassy.org/pages.php?id=18

India outsources its visa services.

CKGS is the only authorized Service Provider for the Embassy of India and its Consulates across the USA for for Visa,

At any rate, the only other piece of important info you need is the name of the port agent in your first Indian port of call. Oceania provided us with that information. The port agent acted like the "invitee".

There could be some other wrinkles.

If you are arriving by ship, you can't use eVisas. They are only good at some Indian airports. On our last cruise quite a few people got caught by that.

And if you have a business type visa for India already, you may have trouble too.

And last, you need to send your passport and visa application to the Indian visa authorities in your own country. Someone I know had a problem with that.

It was quite quick and all went smoothly once submitted.

Edited by Tansy Mews

Ironically, the Indian government has privatized its visa service - quite a reversal from US companies using call centers in Delhi.

The US company (based in Chicago & DC) is a nightmare. Paperwork is lost, the process is slow and its impossible to get a human being to respond by phone, email or regular postal service. After doing everything described on the online form and submitting the requisite paperwork and money order, after weeks of no response, we went unannounced to the DC location and sat for several hours. When we did see an agent there, we learned nothing was amiss with our filing but they were "backed up." Our visit helped spur the process along and our visas were issued by the Indian Embassy.

But this was far from a professional and pleasant process. I would not do this again with India. Other countries offer online E-visas which are easy and efficient. That said, I do understand India is under great threat and has legitimate security concerns, esp with Westerns that aided and abetted the Pakistani terrorists that attacked Mumbai and killed hundreds several years ago. The private service does not issue the visa. The service reviews the paperwork and then forwards it to the Indian Embassy for issuance.

I suggest you consider using a private firm specializing in obtaining visas. Search CC for suggestions in the ports of call forum. Yes, you pay much more for the service. But doing so will provide peace of mind and far less aggravation than dealing directly with India's inept & unresponsive "official" visa company.

We had a visa service for India as a perk from Oceania. It is the same in Canada as the US - India uses an agency, but we didn't deal with them directly. We used the company that Oceania had organized our freebie with and they were very good.

http://cibtvisas.com/india-visa

India does have eVisas but only accepted at some Indian airports. There were people who got caught by this and couldn't visit India. (Not sure how it all played out, but you don't want to do this!)

Good luck.

I would guess that I will need to do this paperwork etc. AFTER we get back July 20 from a HAL cruise from Rotterdam to Boston. I will definitely use a visa company it looks like. Paperwork definitely not accepted from in-person approach either the visa company or the embassy. Can you see the visa application anywhere? I read that they ask too many questions about a retiree's income and banking -- One in our group is going to NOT like that a bit. Oh well onward. Any more help would be very much appreciated.

Any names of USA visa companies that have played nice for the India visa I would appreciate the names.

My suggestion would be to purchase the Visa through O. It is not much more expensive than using another Visa service. We did this in November for our cruise next week (whoopy).

Posted this on our roll call (for USA Citizens) --- we purchased the Visa from O and it took 3 weeks. Allow plenty of time. There are no longer any issues with applying too early. The Visa is valid on date issued for 10 years and multiple entry

http://cibtvisas.com/tourkits?bookmark=1&login=oceania

In any case it is not a simple process - you will be applying to the consulate according to your residence state.

1) Original passport with two clean visa pages

2) Copy of your passport picture page

4) One photo (we sent two)

5) Copy of your drivers license indicating your address

6) Complete visa application on line. Hint save the data after each page and note down the temporary ID (site will crash it did twice with me). Make sure your address on the application is same as your drivers license.

Also jot down the application number US.... as you will need this if you wish to reprint it or find the status.

7) Print out Visa application and sign in two places

8) Complete/sign the Additional Data sheet in your Kit (pay attention to the CIBT instructions)

9) Complete/sign the C&K disclaimer

10) Complete the order form. Include your booking number in the reference.

Re #5 -- I'm curious. What about people who don't have drivers' licenses? Many New Yorkers don't. And older people who have given up driving, likewise.

I know it's possible (at least in NY) to get a non-driver's license but I would object to having to get one if that was the only way I could comply with the requirements. (For the record, *I* have a driver's license. But I know many here do not.)

Mura

Mura, I don't have a driver's licence either, but I do have a government issued card with my address. That's what I would have used if it was required. (Don't remember.)

I did need a piece of info from Oceania - the name of the port agent for Mumbai. That was my "local reference" for the visa application form.

BTW, CIBT visa services did allow me to hand deliver the documents to their office. That may vary by location, of course. I was glad I did, because we each needed to initial the pages with the list of attachments. Seemed silly, but part of the dance!

Frances

I was just curious because neither of us has been very interested in travel to India (and the warnings about visa difficulties don't lead us to change our minds these days) ... we'd love to see Taj Mahal but probably that won't happen given our travel interests these days!

Thanks for your input.

It does sound to me like with all the difficulties it might be worth going through Oceania to get the visa ... usually we don't want to pay the extra fee, but in this case it could well be worth it!

Mura

Funny, I'm reading this while in my hotel room in Delhi. Flying home in a few hours...

I got my visa, good for 10 years, through a company in or around DC...CVS I think it was called. The visa cost about $160 but I've since heard that Cox and Kings charges much less. I filled my application out on line then printed and mailed it, and got it back about a month later.

Re #5 -- I'm curious. What about people who don't have drivers' licenses? Many New Yorkers don't. And older people who have given up driving, likewise.

I know it's possible (at least in NY) to get a non-driver's license but I would object to having to get one if that was the only way I could comply with the requirements. (For the record, *I* have a driver's license. But I know many here do not.)

Mura

Mura -- just to explain #5 -- it is a proof of residency which can be met by drivers license, copy of a utility bill or a copy of your lease if you rent. Just prove to the consulate that you live in their territory.

I was just curious because neither of us has been very interested in travel to India (and the warnings about visa difficulties don't lead us to change our minds these days) ... we'd love to see Taj Mahal but probably that won't happen given our travel interests these days!

Thanks for your input.

It does sound to me like with all the difficulties it might be worth going through Oceania to get the visa ... usually we don't want to pay the extra fee, but in this case it could well be worth it!

Mura

We wanted to see the Taj Mahal also but I don't think it will happen. The first paragraph of Frommer's guide to India (on-line) talks about Delhi Belly and the Mr Walter almost got sick reading the words:rolleyes: Meanwhile heat in the high 90's with humidity with lots of walking and steps mean MeMe is going to be a MeMess. Not easy to get to -- first to interior of India from ship and then to temples is 3hours by bus or car then start walking. Unfortunately

Angor Wat is the same thing as are some other places would love to go but think a bit too much at 70 with my health and body parts.

Wish I could have the money and time I have now with the strong body I had then! I would see lots of things extra.