Newbie review of Silver Wind cruise

TGBoss

We did our first sailing with Silversea this past October-November aboard the Wind from Athens to Rome for 2 weeks. We had previously cruised on Windstar and Paul Gauguin.

We had a delightful time - even enjoying dressing up far more than I thought we would. Service was wonderful - I was amazed our butler quickly figured out where each of us typically sat for breakfast and arranged the setting to adjust for that by the second day. I only had to mention I enjoyed rosé, to find a bottle in the fridge the next day.

I'm into wines, and found what they served perfectly acceptable and they were quick to provide a different varietal if I preferred that paired with what I was having as opposed to the wines of the night. I also thought the higher end wines on their list - for which you are charged - priced at more of a "retail" level that what is typically on a restaurant menu. It was also nice to have a wine educator on board.

Food was very good and we visited La Terraza with each menu change.

The boat was in fairly good shape; I noticed some worn carpet on the steps, but overall no issues.

I liked the free wifi - the total time for the cruise was credited to our account so we never ran into an issue where we felt we were running out of time. And I found it much faster than any other ship I've been on. Midway thru the cruise we lost access in our room; the router on our section of the ship had gone out and with no replacement, little they could do.

Looking back, I think what we most enjoyed was the variety of people on the ship from around the world. What a well travelled set of people to spend 2 weeks!

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the planning stages of a late spring 2017 Med cruise for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Needless to say I hope for a memorable experience and have narrowed it down to The Wind Rome - Venice 9 day vs the Regent Explorerer Venice-Rome 7 day. We are experienced cruisers and have enjoyed our voyages on Seabourn very much but could not find itineraries that worked for this timeframe so we are broadening our horizons!

Anyway, in my research I first checked the review section of CC and was shocked by continuously BAD reviews for The Wind. The condition of the ship, the service and most importantly to me, the food reviews were horrible. Since I am leaning towards Silversea this was disconcerting to say the least. I assume by this thread and others here on the forum things are not as bleak as the seem?

Can anyone explain the discrepancy other than"opinions differ"? Honestly, if you look at the member's review section you will see that I am not exaggerating. The sheer number of bad "recent" reviews is not pretty.

I am in the planning stages of a late spring 2017 Med cruise for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Needless to say I hope for a memorable experience and have narrowed it down to The Wind Rome - Venice 9 day vs the Regent Explorerer Venice-Rome 7 day. We are experienced cruisers and have enjoyed our voyages on Seabourn very much but could not find itineraries that worked for this timeframe so we are broadening our horizons!

Anyway, in my research I first checked the review section of CC and was shocked by continuously BAD reviews for The Wind. The condition of the ship, the service and most importantly to me, the food reviews were horrible. Since I am leaning towards Silversea this was disconcerting to say the least. I assume by this thread and others here on the forum things are not as bleak as the seem?

Can anyone explain the discrepancy other than"opinions differ"? Honestly, if you look at the member's review section you will see that I am not exaggerating. The sheer number of bad "recent" reviews is not pretty.

I honestly have stopped reading them.

Hm. Expectations differ? Frames of reference differ? Nostalgia for the good old days? Recall bias? While there are some objective data that can be compared, many parts of reviews are subjective and subject to all of these biases, and many more.

Example - our first cruise was in 1992 on SS Norway (NCL) and at the time, we loved it, thought the food was great, etc. After a few more mass market cruises we were no longer so impressed and actually gave up cruising altogether for a few years. Then we moved to Oceania and Silversea and were impressed yet again by the "step up" from what we had experienced in the past. So of course, our reviews will be overall positive.

We don't expect to have my socks knocked off by every meal on every cruise, nor do we expect to love every complimentary wine that is poured. But, we enjoy trying new things and if every dish isn't a smashing success then that doesn't bother me.

If on the other hand you're used to cruising on your own private yacht with a Michelin-starred chef stopping in each port for freshly-harvested high-end ingredients, buying $100 bottles of wine, and cooking customized luxurious meals for just the two of you, no cruise line can compete with that. So that person might go on SS and be appalled by the low quality of the food and wine.

Yes, this is a bit of hyperbole but in reality, I think that it's difficult for a ship's kitchen to provide the same level of culinary excellence that a top land-based restaurant provides. So I don't expect that, and I'm not disappointed, but others may be. It's personal, subjective, and that is probably unavoidable. Honesty, I'm not as "wowed" by SS' food now, as we were in our first few cruises, but I don't see that as a negative. Most things, myself included, have not become better with age! :p

There have been some interesting discussions on other threads with specifics regarding the decline in food quality on SS and other lines over the years. I think this reflects the reality that there is pressure on the overall price point for cruises, which pinches the food budget and (probably all) cruise lines are trying to make do with smaller budgets. How much of this is reality, I certainly don't know.

I just realized that your screen name is chef chick...if you're a professional chef, you probably know way more about this than I do, so sorry...didn't mean to sound patronizing. And you will probably judge the onboard food much differently than I do. What cruises have you taken, and what did you think of the food?

We have always found the service to be excellent, and we think the Wind and Cloud are charming though it is true that in some areas they are showing their age.

Just returned from Uniworld after a week on the Danube, and my dietary intake is about to take a major turn for the worse. Time for some plebian slop for lunch...zero-star dining today, and dinner won't be any better!

I honestly have stopped reading them.

Hm. Expectations differ? Frames of reference differ? Nostalgia for the good old days? Recall bias? While there are some objective data that can be compared, many parts of reviews are subjective and subject to all of these biases, and many more.

Example - our first cruise was in 1992 on SS Norway (NCL) and at the time, we loved it, thought the food was great, etc. After a few more mass market cruises we were no longer so impressed and actually gave up cruising altogether for a few years. Then we moved to Oceania and Silversea and were impressed yet again by the "step up" from what we had experienced in the past. So of course, our reviews will be overall positive.

We don't expect to have my socks knocked off by every meal on every cruise, nor do we expect to love every complimentary wine that is poured. But, we enjoy trying new things and if every dish isn't a smashing success then that doesn't bother me.

If on the other hand you're used to cruising on your own private yacht with a Michelin-starred chef stopping in each port for freshly-harvested high-end ingredients, buying $100 bottles of wine, and cooking customized luxurious meals for just the two of you, no cruise line can compete with that. So that person might go on SS and be appalled by the low quality of the food and wine.

Yes, this is a bit of hyperbole but in reality, I think that it's difficult for a ship's kitchen to provide the same level of culinary excellence that a top land-based restaurant provides. So I don't expect that, and I'm not disappointed, but others may be. It's personal, subjective, and that is probably unavoidable. Honesty, I'm not as "wowed" by SS' food now, as we were in our first few cruises, but I don't see that as a negative. Most things, myself included, have not become better with age! :p

There have been some interesting discussions on other threads with specifics regarding the decline in food quality on SS and other lines over the years. I think this reflects the reality that there is pressure on the overall price point for cruises, which pinches the food budget and (probably all) cruise lines are trying to make do with smaller budgets. How much of this is reality, I certainly don't know.

I just realized that your screen name is chef chick...if you're a professional chef, you probably know way more about this than I do, so sorry...didn't mean to sound patronizing. And you will probably judge the onboard food much differently than I do. What cruises have you taken, and what did you think of the food?

We have always found the service to be excellent, and we think the Wind and Cloud are charming though it is true that in some areas they are showing their age.

Just returned from Uniworld after a week on the Danube, and my dietary intake is about to take a major turn for the worse. Time for some plebian slop for lunch...zero-star dining today, and dinner won't be any better!

I do agree that reviews, in general, are subjective and if it was just one or two negative reviews I wouldn't have even noticed...it was just the sheer number that concerns me. Yes, food is important to me and as a professional I know not to expect the kind of quality I would find in a land based kitchen, but comparing apples to apples (pardon the pun) I have had good to excellent meals onboard the Seabourn triplets and thought that the Silver Wind would have comparable reviews because of it's comparable size. To be fair, if you check the Seabourn board lately you will see that long time cheerleaders pine for "the good old days" there as well.

As I continue with my research, I am finding that there is more "similarities" with the luxury lines than there are differences. In the end, it's itinerary and value that drive my loyalty and with such a port intensive cruise the ship becomes secondary. As long as I can get a decent meal, a well made cocktail and a soft place to lay my head at night, I'm a happy girl...I guess my trepidation comes from the importance of the event. My husband is one of kind and celebrating 25 years together, in the end, is all that matters.

I appreciate your thoughts.

From my experience on SS (extensive), the food depends on the Chef. They all have the same ingredients, the same recipes, the same presentation books and no 2 are alike, as you know. My recent experiences have been better with the food. There really was recent time when it was difficult. We will be on the Wind shortly, not having been there in a long time. Will post what I think about the food. Always remember it is about likes, dislikes and preferences IMHO.

Obviously not the average, or even current SS cruiser profile, although one or two of the World Cruisers might beg to disagree.

Agree with Wes, nice perspective.

We are just leaving Agostoli on our way to Itea and Coririth on Silver Wind before docking in just over 24 in Piraeus.

I was on the cloud last June and would have to agree that some corners seemed to have been cut. I don't want to be critical.... We've had a great time and on some things SS have gone over the top to assist. It's not gone unnoticed.

Would I book again? Yes, but with an open mind at alternatives. The prices have noticeably increased and that will not impress anyone that takes notice by checking. I guess most SS customers don't do that.

Edited by les37b

Grrr. Just sorting a bracelet for my wife in the boutique. Told 2 nights ago it was $69. Just went to buy and was told it was $95. That then got corrected when challenged to $83 inc VAT ( in the EU you have to show the full price including tax), so a bit miffed at that. Especially as you at their mercy as nothing seems to be priced. I know maximisation of profits is the name of the game, but I have to say that's dishonest.

Does that mean trips that have been booked will have 21% added now also?

From my experience on SS (extensive), the food depends on the Chef. They all have the same ingredients, the same recipes, the same presentation books and no 2 are alike, as you know. My recent experiences have been better with the food. There really was recent time when it was difficult. We will be on the Wind shortly, not having been there in a long time. Will post what I think about the food. Always remember it is about likes, dislikes and preferences IMHO.

Does the food change based on the itinerary?

Duct Tape is perfectly correct.

Any cruise on SS food wise depends on the Executive Chef. It is not itinerary dependent, merely on the Executive Chefs' work schedule, like any chef, each of them have their own speciality dish. There are cruises when both the breads and pastries are not good, on others they are sublime. So as Duct Tape says all ingredients are identical, the menu is one of 19 but each Executive Chef interprets them differently. Which is the best Executive Chef - Now that would be telling!

As a final comment, in common I think with most SS cruisers, we choose our cruise based totally on the itinerary.

BTW in reply to Les 37b, I suggest he buys the lucky lady either a bracelet from a local port's jewellery shop, or somewhere in his local city. The "boutiques" onboard SS are super pricy, certainly not "profit free"' are the quietest location on most cruises, and hopefully SS will reinstate the status quo once this current "arrangement" has ended.

Kindest regards to all

Master Echo

BTW in reply to Les 37b, I suggest he buys the lucky lady either a bracelet from a local port's jewellery shop, or somewhere in his local city. The "boutiques" onboard SS are super pricy, certainly not "profit free"' are the quietest location on most cruises, and hopefully SS will reinstate the status quo once this current "arrangement" has ended.

We had onboard credit we needed to spend. Agree some of the stuff they sell is ridiculously expensive. I looked at a polo shirt and quickly put it down when I saw the price tag of $299 (plus of course not forgetting to add the 21% tax to the bill!)