Cutbacks and Steward barging in unannounced!

Just to note, pretty sure those "square ceramic things" are bread plates. To be honest, we enjoyed those as well seeing which plate showed what. We had the American Table with no tablecloths on our last cruise and I actually preferred it. I did not see a problem with condensation as the stemmed glasses helped that. The tables were nice and I didn't feel that we were downgraded without tablecloths. I actually felt the table was cleaner without the tablecloths.

Yes the square things are the bread plates. I felt they did their job properly.

Reading some of these posts reminds me of something I read here on Cruise Critic entitled "Carnival Conquest, Doublewide of the Seas" in which they refer the the ship as the "Carnival Conquest by Palm Harbor Homes" LOL ! I guess there are times when you go to Wal Mart, times when you go to Nordstroms, and times when you go to JC Penny's. The rule of supply and demand will depend a company's success and the demographics of its patrons.. Such is life !

Let me set something straight. I am far from a Carnival cheerleader. I call them out without hesitation when there's something I don't like or agree with. Same goes for people. I don't have a tolerance for drama and I speak my mind. Sometimes it gets me in trouble, but quite frankly I don't care. Anything that I say on here I would say directly to anyone face to face. That's just the way I am. So here goes.

You can control things to a certain extent in life should you choose to do so. I am sorry that your cruise wasn't perfect and that you had some disappointments. You can't go back and change what happened. Hopefully you learned some things. Such as locking the deadbolt and putting out the Snoozin sign when you don't want to be disturbed. Could it be considered overkill? To some but not me. By doing so you would have made your cruise much better and then you would't have had that stress and inconvenience. I am not dismissing that there could have been an issue with your room steward as there very well could have been. However, by being proactive and not allowing that to happen again, it would have been over and done the first time. I like immediate results and this would have solved the problem.

Tablecloths, no tablecloths it doesn't matter to me. You are entitled to your opinion and there are people that feel strongly on both sides. Nothing you can do to change what Carnival does in that department and you did nothing wrong by voicing your opinion. Not everyone has to agree.

The lines at GS can be extremely long and I wish you had known about the dedicated line for Diamonds/Platinums/FTTF. That would have made that part of your cruise better. Nothing you can do about it now, but now you know for next time. It's always a good idea to do some research on perks, etc as you don't want to miss out on what you have waited so long for. You earned them so make sure to take full advantage of your new status!

I don't mean to come off as mean or uncaring. I just wanted to let you know that if things aren't going your way, then stop and think about what you can do at that very moment to make it better or put an end to what is making you stress out. Oftentimes it's something very simple that gets overlooked.

I hope your next cruise is better and that this doesn't deter you from posting and sharing your experiences.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Would not be right if we did not have a Walmart reference

I love when people use my favorite CC buzzwords when people don't agree with them. That and cheerleader. :)

I also love when people don't want to address issues where/when they can be corrected. Instead, they come back here after the cruise and write a long post, and write about their issues that could have been fixed had they just done it while on-board. :confused::confused::confused:

Reading some of these posts reminds me of something I read here on Cruise Critic entitled "Carnival Conquest, Doublewide of the Seas" in which they refer the the ship as the "Carnival Conquest by Palm Harbor Homes" LOL ! I guess there are times when you go to Wal Mart, times when you go to Nordstroms, and times when you go to JC Penny's. The rule of supply and demand will depend a company's success and the demographics of its patrons.. Such is life !

As a Platinum guest, what demographic does that put you in?

At home, we have a tablecloth on both the Kitchen and Dining Room tables. It's a personal and maybe generational thing.

I think it is generational. I have place mats at all times and when its a family gathering a tablecloth. Just how I was brought up. I haven't experienced the no tablecloths on Carnival yet but I am sure it will feel less "special"

Edited by boopsahoy

Let me set something straight. I am far from a Carnival cheerleader. I call them out without hesitation when there's something I don't like or agree with. Same goes for people. I don't have a tolerance for drama and I speak my mind. Sometimes it gets me in trouble, but quite frankly I don't care. Anything that I say on here I would say directly to anyone face to face. That's just the way I am. So here goes.

You can control things to a certain extent in life should you choose to do so. I am sorry that your cruise wasn't perfect and that you had some disappointments. You can't go back and change what happened. Hopefully you learned some things. Such as locking the deadbolt and putting out the Snoozin sign when you don't want to be disturbed. Could it be considered overkill? To some but not me. By doing so you would have made your cruise much better and then you would't have had that stress and inconvenience. I am not dismissing that there could have been an issue with your room steward as there very well could have been. However, by being proactive and not allowing that to happen again, it would have been over and done the first time. I like immediate results and this would have solved the problem.

Tablecloths, no tablecloths it doesn't matter to me. You are entitled to your opinion and there are people that feel strongly on both sides. Nothing you can do to change what Carnival does in that department and you did nothing wrong by voicing your opinion. Not everyone has to agree.

The lines at GS can be extremely long and I wish you had known about the dedicated line for Diamonds/Platinums/FTTF. That would have made that part of your cruise better. Nothing you can do about it now, but now you know for next time. It's always a good idea to do some research on perks, etc as you don't want to miss out on what you have waited so long for. You earned them so make sure to take full advantage of your new status!

I don't mean to come off as mean or uncaring. I just wanted to let you know that if things aren't going your way, then stop and think about what you can do at that very moment to make it better or put an end to what is making you stress out. Oftentimes it's something very simple that gets overlooked.

I hope your next cruise is better and that this doesn't deter you from posting and sharing your experiences.

Excellent post. Way to many people are so judgmental of others.

As a Platinum guest, what demographic does that put you in?
appears you are being somewhat combative with your remark when I was not personally directing my comments at you or any other individual.. I have not been rude to you and have no idea what you are going thru in your life but I certainly wish you the best. Now to answer your question (which I'm sure was rhetorical in nature) sadly, Carnival may not be my preferred cruise line any more. I say sadly because I did just reach platinum; now that I have earned perks, Carnival suddenly decides to implement cut backs making the cruise "experience" not quite what it used to be. Shame, what with all the cut backs, but agreed it is a "good value." As everyone says, there is definitely a market for "good value" but for me personally, my choice, cheap is not always the best. No offense intended, but this is why I said people frequent different stores based on their needs at that particular time. I juat booked a cruise on Royal Carribbean, to try out a different option. I am not cancelling my Carnival cruises that I already have booked. Just trying something different. Maybe if Carnival implements a new or interesting itinerary, I will book or just for a quick cheap get a way for a family thing, or to go with a group using Carnival, but with all these cut backs I have decided to search beyond the Carnival horizon. No offense intended, just my personal choice where to spend my money that I earn, that's all..

appears you are being somewhat combative with your remark when I was not personally directing my comments at you or any other individual.. I have not been rude to you and have no idea what you are going thru in your life but I certainly wish you the best. Now to answer your question (which I'm sure was rhetorical in nature) sadly, Carnival may not be my preferred cruise line any more. I say sadly because I did just reach platinum; now that I have earned perks, Carnival suddenly decides to implement cut backs making the cruise "experience" not quite what it used to be. Shame, what with all the cut backs, but agreed it is a "good value." As everyone says, there is definitely a market for "good value" but for me personally, my choice, cheap is not always the best. No offense intended, but this is why I said people frequent different stores based on their needs at that particular time. I juat booked a cruise on Royal Carribbean, to try out a different option. I am not cancelling my Carnival cruises that I already have booked. Just trying something different. Maybe if Carnival implements a new or interesting itinerary, I will book or just for a quick cheap get a way for a family thing, or to go with a group using Carnival, but with all these cut backs I have decided to search beyond the Carnival horizon. No offense intended, just my personal choice where to spend my money that I earn, that's all..

Well put..and living in a small place I shop everywhere....bought mom the perfect pink boweled Sunbeam mixer at Wallmart..... memory of her old silver 2 bowl mixer that died from 70's ....the first year I moved back to Montana 2007 and built our last cookie baking memories together. Also enjoyed the best stores here together which was Coldwater Creek at the time...and am keeping a Nordstom gift card from way back..still trying to loose enough lbs for that spend. I had more fun at Wallmart and K Mart with mom for little things..parties..gifts...some clothes..but with one's vacation...if it stops meeting enough "special" for us..we move on and just recategorize a line for our personal preferences..as we do stores. LOL..you are great..thanks for share...

I have a friend on some gourmet thing in France..the images of the chefs and fancy restaurants, wine bistros, food, wine..WOW...They range from table cloth to none..the real key is minimalist decor...more modern like the Breeze...there still are a few restaurants with the old fancy things..often mixed with modern candle piece and some kind of mat or cloth...interesting.

Edited by sjn911

Hello kitty: I can't agree more with you. I have cut back on my carnival cruises since 2012 when I became platinum. I have since cruised several times on Royal princess and NCL and all are surpassing ccl in my opinion. The changes carnival has made in my opinion are making them a cheap cruise line rather than the fun ships. I still sail on carnival but using them less frequently. In fact only once since December 2012 with 1 booked next month but i have cruised 5 times on other lines since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello kitty: I can't agree more with you. I have cut back on my carnival cruises since 2012 when I became platinum. I have since cruised several times on Royal princess and NCL and all are surpassing ccl in my opinion. The changes carnival has made in my opinion are making them a cheap cruise line rather than the fun ships. I still sail on carnival but using them less frequently. In fact only once since December 2012 with 1 booked next month but i have cruised 5 times on other lines since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's how I will be, as well. I Have been exclusive to Carnival and still like lots of things, especially their tribute to our military, but I think its time to branch out and try new things !

We all have choices. I've tried them all now I'm back to Carnival

We've sailed mostly Princess lately but we've been on all the Princess ships here on the west coast. We haven't been on the Legend and we'll be on her in May for Alaska. We're excited about experiencing a new ship for us. We're looking at the Coral Princess Panama Canal re-position cruise in April, the Coral will be a new ship for us. We don't care about the table cloths as we don't really eat in the MDR that often. I feel since we spent the money and are now platinum and elite, I hate to start over as the perks are nice. Each to his own.

Edited by elliair

Princess has tablecloths in the dining rooms. Princess has more Norovirus outbreaks than Carnival. Some other cruise line, too. I'm good with no tablecloths.

Maybe you should read before spouting off. That virus needs to be washed in bleached based products. Maybe a tablecloth may help ? No. Ok. Thanks.

appears you are being somewhat combative with your remark when I was not personally directing my comments at you or any other individual.. I have not been rude to you and have no idea what you are going thru in your life but I certainly wish you the best...

My comment was not meant to be combative but curious how you, being Platinum, ascribe a "Wal-Mart" connotation to the Carnival client when in fact you are one yourself.

I get it. You're not happy with the direction Carnival is taking its product. But to paint those who do still enjoy the experience with the brush of a juvenile remark is quite enlightening.

I hope you find the cruiseline that can provide you with the amenity and attention you feel you deserve.

My comment was not meant to be combative but curious how you, being Platinum, ascribe a "Wal-Mart" connotation to the Carnival client when in fact you are one yourself.

I get it. You're not happy with the direction Carnival is taking its product. But to paint those who do still enjoy the experience with the brush of a juvenile remark is quite enlightening.

I hope you find the cruiseline that can provide you with the amenity and attention you feel you deserve.

What is your deal ? This is getting old but just so you don't try and rewrite history by misquoting me, I included myself in the group of patrons. I myself go to wal mart, when it suits my needs, when did I ever say I didn't ? I also go other places. Why do you have such a problem with that ? Do you celebrate all your families special occasions at McDonalds ? You sure are over reacting because of my personal opinion about Carnival, get a life !

Agree! Agree! Agree! I have never noticed one way or the other! Such a petty thing that people seem to let actually "ruin" their vacation.:)

I do not think many on this thread have said it ruins heir vacation at all....in fact more the opposite. Most have simply said a preference and noted it as a "downsizing" move..or noted it made no difference and enjoyed looking at it as a perhaps a generational thing...:).