Canceling a cruise

Jean1946

If you have a travel agent call the travel agent as they will have to handle all. If you booked direct with HAL call the reservation department and explain that you must cancel. After the cancellation is complete if you are after final payment and you have cancellation insurance submit a claim to the insurance company. If it is before final payment is due your deposit will be credited back to the credit card you used for booking.

If you have HAL insurance. You can cancel and get 80% of the fare back or as credit for a future cruise.

If private , you'll have to talk to them and find out what documentation you'll need . If you don't have "Cancel for Any Reason " , you'll probably need documentation from your doctor or family death/illness.

If you have HAL's cancel for any reason insurance, the refund will appear on your credit card usually within a week (my experience). If you have pre booked shore excursions, restaurants, flowers, etc. these will also be refunded to your credit card.

If you have HAL's cancel for any reason insurance, the refund will appear on your credit card usually within a week (my experience). If you have pre-booked shore excursions, restaurants, flowers, etc. these will also be refunded to your credit card.

I cancelled my Alaska June 2016 Cruise back in December 2015! No problem on the cruise portion Refund!

I am still waiting for a Refund for restaurants for several nights in the Pinnacle Grille June 19 to July 2, 2016! Reservations for the Restaurants said they even sent the paperwork twice to my CC Bank and they say they never sent the REFUND twice to my CC Bank. I am now in the process of sending copies of my Credit Card Statements requested by HAL Accounting Dept for December, and January to prove to Accounting that i did NOT receive a REFUND!

Go Figure?

:confused:

I cancelled my Alaska June 2016 Cruise back in December 2015! No problem on the cruise portion Refund!

I am still waiting for a Refund for restaurants for several nights in the Pinnacle Grille June 19 to July 2, 2016! Reservations for the Restaurants said they even sent the paperwork twice to my CC Bank and they say they never sent the REFUND twice to my CC Bank. I am now in the process of sending copies of my Credit Card Statements requested by HAL Accounting Dept for December, and January to prove to Accounting that i did NOT receive a REFUND!

Go Figure?

You cancelled well before final payment, so why should there have been any money issues at all? And why prepay restaurants?

Restaurant charges are incurred when the reservation is made.

I have never prepaid a restaurant and also have never had a problem getting a reservation. Choices. But more than six months in advance, IMO, is overkill.

I have never prepaid a restaurant and also have never had a problem getting a reservation. Choices. But more than six months in advance, IMO, is overkill.

Then you've never booked a specialty restaurant on HAL. Payment is made at the time of reservation (unlike, say, Princess).

Then you've never booked a specialty restaurant on HAL. Payment is made at the time of reservation (unlike, say, Princess).

Exactly. That's why I do my reservations when I'm on a ship. Princess doesn't take reservations prior to embarkation.

DH and I enjoyed a meal at the Canaletto on our last cruise. We tried again, and again to get another nights reservations, and we were consistently told they were booked. We gave them our info in case there was a cancellation and we were never able to get another dinner in Canaletto. I'm glad it's always worked out for you, but in our case with Canaletto our "choice" not to pre-book was no help at all LOL So in our experience, yes, the restaurants can get booked to the point where they won't make another reservation or take you as a walk in. What is overkill to you is business as usual for other pax and the cruise lines. Some people like the convenience of pre-paying for things, and we fall into that category.

Edited by galensgrl
typo

DH and I enjoyed a meal at the Canaletto on our last cruise. We tried again, and again to get another nights reservations, and we were consistently told they were booked. We gave them our info in case there was a cancellation and we were never able to get another dinner in Canaletto. I'm glad it's always worked out for you, but in our case with Canaletto our "choice" not to pre-book was no help at all LOL So in our experience, yes, the restaurants can get booked to the point where they won't make another reservation or take you as a walk in. What is overkill to you is business as usual for other pax and the cruise lines. Some people like the convenience of pre-paying for things, and we fall into that category.

I think the bottom line for me is the fact that I'm not really into food. So if I don't get a reservation it's never a big deal. However, if I were traveling with friends, and if important to them, I would definitely go along with it.

PIA: When I made my cruise reservation for a cruise for FOUR PAX, Specialty Restaurants REQUIRED a "Paid In Full" for all 4 PAX! I wasn't alseep at the wheel on this reservation. I only did what was being requested, and that's after 27 cruises!

You might be one of the "SPECIAL PEOPLE"! Let's compare Oranges to Oranges!:confused:

PIA: When I made my cruise reservation for a cruise for FOUR PAX, Specialty Restaurants REQUIRED a "Paid In Full" for all 4 PAX! I wasn't alseep at the wheel on this reservation. I only did what was being requested, and that's after 27 cruises!

You might be one of the "SPECIAL PEOPLE"! Let's compare Oranges to Oranges!:confused:

What? I don't see that poster saying you CAN'T or shouldn't make reservations, she just doesn't care to. I make some online reservations but not all. No matter if you do or don't is it a reason to get so upset :confused:?

What? I don't see that poster saying you CAN'T or shouldn't make reservations, she just doesn't care to. I make some online reservations but not all. No matter if you do or don't is it a reason to get so upset :confused:?

Sure I'm upset! I've been waiting for over 4 months for $388 DOLLARS! Lot's of things I can do with that money! HAL asking for copies of my Credit Card Statements?

I'm not looking to start a mud-slinging contest on Cruise Critic over the operation of a Department!

Reservations said they sent the Cancellation to the Bank of America's Department aka Alaska Airline. Reservations sent it twice, but it never makes it to B of A! Why?

Enough is enough! All I wanted Cruise Critic Members to know was that people make mistakes! FIX it someone at B of A or HAL!:mad:

Sure I'm upset! I've been waiting for over 4 months for $388 DOLLARS! Lot's of things I can do with that money! HAL asking for copies of my Credit Card Statements?

I'm not looking to start a mud-slinging contest on Cruise Critic over the operation of a Department!

Reservations said they sent the Cancellation to the Bank of America's Department aka Alaska Airline. Reservations sent it twice, but it never makes it to B of A! Why?

Enough is enough! All I wanted Cruise Critic Members to know was that people make mistakes! FIX it someone at B of A or HAL!:mad:

I don't blame you for being mad. I'd be livid. What I don't understand is criticizing another poster for not pre booking. That seemed to be what your post was about. Don't know if you have Facebook but you may want to make a comment on there about your issue. Hal seems much more inclined to clean up their mistakes when it's public.

I think the bottom line for me is the fact that I'm not really into food. So if I don't get a reservation it's never a big deal. However, if I were traveling with friends, and if important to them, I would definitely go along with it.

Yeah, DH likes paying in advance so there won't be as big of an onboard charges bill at the end. He's the #1 budget planner of the two of us. Personally I figure we'll be paying for it one way or another (before/after), so no big deal. The Canaletto thing was weird because as much as we like it the reviews are mixed, we were perplexed that we couldn't get in again all week. Yet other pax we talked to were having no problem walking into the Pinnacle Grill and getting a table. :confused: But we always book a few dinners ahead, and then wing it for several nights just to mix it up. But hearing how hard it can be to get a timely refund if a pax cancels is kind of disturbing. It's funny how businesses charge us for things and it's on the statement pretty quickly, but many businesses seem to drag their feet getting the money back to us when there is a refund.

Edited by galensgrl

That is exactly why we never pay for anything early that we do not have to....unless of course there is a financial incentive to do so. Less hastle in the long run.

I agree. I often have up to 5 or 6 dinners at the tamarind. I usually book 2 ahead. I never have a problem booking more once on board no matter what time I book it at and how many people I end up going with.

In the past it has been fairly easy to get into the specialty dining venues on HAL ships. However, recently HAL has been running promotions that offer free dinners in these places, thus they are filling up quickly.

So, for now I would book ahead of time if you really want a specific date/time.

Go Figure?

Contact you Credit Card holder and dispute the charges..works wonders.

Well yes, I am a special person, but not when it's about eating. Or making reservations. That being said, I note that you have very little posting experience on CC. You don't win friends with insults.

MY, My PIA! There was NO intent to be rude to Passengers! Would you wait 4 months to be paid a Refund?

I just got a phone call from HAL Accounting and they found the $388 dollars in less than 24 hours,:p and will credit my CC in 3 to 5 Business Days!

Amazing how someone said "If I go public with this issue, it will be resolved very quickly"! Yes it was resolved!

I was TOLD by Guest Specialty Restaurant Reservations that I had to pre-pay for the reservations or take my chances I could get Reservations after we boarded the Zaandam!

"This was a 14 day Alaska trip of a lifetime for my son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter"!

Enough said, "NO insult to anyone as a Member on Cruise Critic for 12 years"!

Robertmnch

MY, My PIA! There was NO intent to be rude to Passengers! Would you wait 4 months to be paid a Refund?

I just got a phone call from HAL Accounting and they found the $388 dollars in less than 24 hours,:p and will credit my CC in 3 to 5 Business Days!

Amazing how someone said "If I go public with this issue, it will be resolved very quickly"! Yes it was resolved!

I was TOLD by Guest Specialty Restaurant Reservations that I had to pre-pay for the reservations or take my chances I could get Reservations after we boarded the Zaandam!

"This was a 14 day Alaska trip of a lifetime for my son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter"!

Enough said, "NO insult to anyone as a Member on Cruise Critic for 12 years"!

Robertmnch

Works every time :D. Glad to hear the money will be refunded.