Anything Less Than $20 a day plan for internet?

My friend and I will be sailing next week and we would like to communicate with our families back home once a day. We will call on our cell phone in port in San Juan and St Thomas as it is not long distance. We would like to send an email on the other days. Can you no longer pay for internet usage by the minute? All I see are unlimited internet packages for the whole trip. That's way more than we need and I'm afraid if I bought the package I'd stay on the computer the whole cruise!

My friend and I will be sailing next week and we would like to communicate with our families back home once a day. We will call on our cell phone in port in San Juan and St Thomas as it is not long distance. We would like to send an email on the other days. Can you no longer pay for internet usage by the minute? All I see are unlimited internet packages for the whole trip. That's way more than we need and I'm afraid if I bought the package I'd stay on the computer the whole cruise!

The only plan I see now that is less than a 24 hour period is a 30-minute period at the end of the cruise for doing airline check-in.

If you wait long enough, the price does go down. We were able to get four days in exchange for our Diamond Plus internet benefit. But I think it's still something like $20 per day. In the beginning, it's $40 for a single day.

Still, I'm not going to pay cash for internet that is slower than dial up. I don't understand why they can't improve the internet when they're adding all those extra rooms.

On our last cruise, nearly every port had Wifi. So, before buying anything, I'd suggest waiting until your first port. In fact, one of the tour buses had WiFi. Family should understand the high cost of communication. I used to leave our ship number w/ the Mother-in-Law with the stipulation it would cost $10 per minute. She understood and didn't expect us to call.

If you get an international cell phone like Mobal. It will only charge you for calls. International calls are usually a $1 to $6 per minute. A lot better than ship rates.

Edited by knittinggirl

If you wait long enough, the price does go down. We were able to get four days in exchange for our Diamond Plus internet benefit. But I think it's still something like $20 per day. In the beginning, it's $40 for a single day.

Still, I'm not going to pay cash for internet that is slower than dial up. I don't understand why they can't improve the internet when they're adding all those extra rooms.

On our last cruise, nearly every port had Wifi. So, before buying anything, I'd suggest waiting until your first port. In fact, one of the tour buses had WiFi. Family should understand the high cost of communication. I used to leave our ship number w/ the Mother-in-Law with the stipulation it would cost $10 per minute. She understood and didn't expect us to call.

If you get an international cell phone like Mobal. It will only charge you for calls. International calls are usually a $1 to $3 per minute. A lot better than ship rates.

I'm not sure what ship charges these rates, but on Oasis, they charged $30 for a stand alone 24hrs/day and $15 per day for the package. If you have any C&A tiers , the comp associated with the tier, package price is further reduced.