Delta..my gut feeling paid off!

SCHappilyRetired

In Dec I booked our business overseas, as some of you may recall. It was 2 am when this Z fare appeared and I hopped on it. I still needed to book my domestic to get to JFK. I hesitated booking for awhile as the international flight landed at 12:30 pm and my domestic took off at 3:30. Knowing I booked so far in advance I knew flights could change plus my gut told me the planets would not align. So, I decided to stay overnight in NY between flights and have a nice relaxed dinner with son and DIL. Well the planets couldn't be more misaligned! Now the 12:30 arrival is now 4:50pm!! Yep, always listen to your gut feeling!

Good move, SCHappilyretired.

We did the same thing for a land trip this summer and are glad we did. We'd rather get home of course but without the hassle. Every airline makes adjustments but we feel the Delta "love" most often since they are our main carrier.

FYI, we also share initials.

Glad this worked out for you.

Did you stay at a nearby Hotel to JFK? If so, where?

Keith

Hampton Inn. It's one night each way and son lives in Queens. Without seeing him we would have gone to CT where we are originally from to see siblings. Reviews aren't too bad and attached to a Hilton next door. Who knows, we may go into Manhattan so I can get my NYC fix!

Good move, SCHappilyretired.

We did the same thing for a land trip this summer and are glad we did. We'd rather get home of course but without the hassle. Every airline makes adjustments but we feel the Delta "love" most often since they are our main carrier.

FYI, we also share initials.

Yes, my days of running through airports are over! I need as much calm as possible in my life.

Though our children get on our case for allowing so much time at airports (at least two hours for our Washington DC busy hubs!) we prefer the calm approach this allows. It is not a bad thing to be at the airport and at the gate reading a book or people watching (folks running for their flights :rolleyes: ) . Yes we are retired and just don't go as fast but we have also learned that the system just does not need those jolts of adrenaline and stress that cutting it close brings. Missing a flight is only a traffic jam, tight parking situation , or security line away from happening. Even the "hugeness" of the airport is a factor -- takes awhile to get to the last gate -- the only one airports use.

Besides my children so love the feeling of superiority as they tell of their busy lives -- failing to realize that "been there done that" and so glad not to be doing it at this stage of my life.

Though our children get on our case for allowing so much time at airports (at least two hours for our Washington DC busy hubs!) we prefer the calm approach this allows. It is not a bad thing to be at the airport and at the gate reading a book or people watching (folks running for their flights :rolleyes: ) . Yes we are retired and just don't go as fast but we have also learned that the system just does not need those jolts of adrenaline and stress that cutting it close brings. Missing a flight is only a traffic jam, tight parking situation , or security line away from happening. Even the "hugeness" of the airport is a factor -- takes awhile to get to the last gate -- the only one airports use.

Besides my children so love the feeling of superiority as they tell of their busy lives -- failing to realize that "been there done that" and so glad not to be doing it at this stage of my life.

Very, very well said!:D

I also like a significant time cushion between connecting flights as well as arriving at the departure airport with plenty of time to spare.

Very, very well said!:D

I also like a significant time cushion between connecting flights as well as arriving at the departure airport with plenty of time to spare.

More and More I allow one day to get to the starting point (especially Transpacific) say SFO LAX. Sure it is trouble to go to hotel but shower, lay out flat and a good meal is so worth it. Then the long trip (14 hours!) with another hotel and sometimes a day of sightseeing. Avoid night flights as much as possible and really like a day flight to Europe if at all possible (not usually!). 3 of us travel together and a private guide with a car is the only way to go. Yes can do public transportation but by the time I get to the museum or site I came all the way to see -- I'm too tired to enjoy so just deliver me to the door Thank You.

I doubt that I will be around but my grandkids will soon be talking about the slow parents who always go to the airport so early and want long layovers just to make sure they get to the flight -- It's called the circle of life I guess.

This is a spousal debate in our family, not generational. I'm the one who builds extra time at every step... Hubby rolls his eyes but follows. I'd like to try it "his way" soon, just to see what happens....but on a trip from HIS bucket list - not mine!!!