Underwater Cameras

ambelk

Duh! Combining red and blue becomes Magenta! :cool:

No, the rock remains blue. What happens to the rock is that it gets wet. :D

It sinks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not if you throw it in very shallow water. The rock just gets wet. It is not a trick question. :D

Edited by Cuizer2

There are a ton of reviews of underwater cameras of all types on the WEB. Have you done a WEB search on "underwater camera reviews"? CC is wonderful for cruise related discussions. Useful but not as good for camera information in my opinion.

DON

Adding my backing to the Fuji (without checking, think mine is xp70) I picked one up quite cheaply through an ebay reseller last year. It took a bit of adjustment, as I mostly use a DSLR, but wanted something I could take kayaking with me & not have to worry about it getting bumped around. Image quality is pretty good across the board, and has a few different settings to play with.

There are a ton of reviews of underwater cameras of all types on the WEB. Have you done a WEB search on "underwater camera reviews"? CC is wonderful for cruise related discussions. Useful but not as good for camera information in my opinion.

DON

I'm finding the responses very helpful :)

I just purchased (after MUCH research) this Fujifilm xp80. I paid 169. It got excellent review for a camera in its price range.... Here are the spec:

16.4 megapixel 1/2.3” CMOS sensor

5x optical zoom

Maximum aperture f3.9-f4.9

Maximum shutter speed 1/2000

ISO 100-6400

Sensor shift image stabilization

Macro focusing to 3.5 inches (9 cm)

Continuous shooting up to 10 fps (maximum 10 frames)

Waterproof to 50 ft (15m)

Shockprrof to 5.8 ft (1.75m)

Freezeproof to 14 degrees (-10 C)

Sealed agains dust and sand damage

2.7” LCD

It is due to arrive tomorrow.... I wont have a true review until after our cruise in June....

Which cameras are the best for using underwater? My family and I are going on a southern Caribbean cruise in July. We are doing a couple of snorkeling excursions. We will also be using it for regular photo opportunities. I am not looking to break the bank but thought I would check here for suggestions. We have never been on a cruise and we can't wait!

I have spent a whole £25/$40? on an underwater camera purely for our Eastern Caribbean cruise. I didn't want to buy a GoPro, it'll be a 5 minute wonder but hopefully it'll do the job for a bit of underwater filming plus a bit of Universal rides. I haven't actually tested it underwater, I'm just trusting to luck.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Although I had a supposedly waterproof camera I decided not to risk it, and used some Fujifilm underwater film cameras. This turned out to be a bad idea.

I brought them from home but the disposable underwater film cameras are widely available at ports. They seem to be the same price, US$20, everywhere in the Caribbean. To this 'deal' add the hassle of finding a place that will process 35 mm film nowadays, the $10+ it will cost to get your 27 pictures, and the 1-2 week wait to get your photos back from the lab.

All told I think I have one or two decent pictures out of two cameras. Most of the pictures are blurry, underexposed or overexposed.

So, by all means invest in a modern underwater camera. And don't forget to take lots of pictures with yourself and your traveling group. They are by far the most interesting after the trip.