Smart casual attire

MK18_Ohio

Getting ready to pack for our cruise next week on the Silhouette and need confirmation that dress shorts are not allowed in the main dining room and specialty restaurants at night. I know people have opinions of whether this should or should not be allowed, and we are not looking to break any rules. However, my dh will be very frustrated with me if I tell him not to pack nice khaki shorts because they they won't allow him in the main dining room and specialty restaurants if that isn't true...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Nope - no dress shorts allowed.

However - as we live in Florida - I will say to the nay sayers that at least where I live we do have what we could call men's "dress shorts". Think Tommy Bahama - dressy material, starting around $88. on up. Worn to the nicest restaurants and you even see them in church. Just saying. :D

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I agree, I thought dress shorts was an oxymoron :p

Some people need to get out more.....for instance Bermuda Shorts have been "dress shorts" for over 50 years, often worn with a dress shirt, tie and Blazer.....:rolleyes:

Some people need to get out more.....for instance Bermuda Shorts have been "dress shorts" for over 50 years, often worn with a dress shirt, tie and Blazer.....:rolleyes:

That would be fine but most "modern" folk want the shorts but leave the rest of the outfit off. Only in Bermuda do you find executives in such excellent attire.

Getting ready to pack for our cruise next week on the Silhouette and need confirmation that dress shorts are not allowed in the main dining room and specialty restaurants at night. I know people have opinions of whether this should or should not be allowed, and we are not looking to break any rules. However, my dh will be very frustrated with me if I tell him not to pack nice khaki shorts because they they won't allow him in the main dining room and specialty restaurants if that isn't true...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We live in Florida also (snowbirds), I agree that a pair of dressy shorts, nice top and sandals with a bit of bling will get you almost anywhere. However, I follow the rules and do not wear even my "nice" shorts to the dining room.

I was going to say the same thing, those people need a trip to Bermuda.

Back to the question no shorts in any dining rooms in the evening except for buffet.

On our recent Reflection cruise we saw no men in the dining room wearing shorts (we look because my DH would prefer to wear shorts and I have to continually remind him he can't). We did however see some women in shorts but they were almost skirt like and were very 'chic' and worn with high heals and beautiful tops. My husband reminded me that I no longer have legs like that so I shouldn't try that look. ;)

If you could call shorts elegant, these certainly were!