Behind the Scenes tours?

kingsgirl

Yes they do. It's called the Ship's Ultimate Tour. It isn't advertised. As soon as you get on-board go right to the pursers desk and get on the list. There are a limited number of people allowed. It cost (in August 2014) about $150 each and lasted about 2 or so hours.

You go from the very bottom of the ship (engine room) to the top (where the captain is). You must be able to walk stairs as that is mostly how you get around. At the end they feed you some nice snacks and drinks. Later that day you will get some gifts delivered to your cabin. We got 3 copies of group pictures (8 X 10) that had been taken by the ship's photographer, a nice wooden frame to put it in, a Princess apron and a Princess bathrobe. The gifts are per person so my husband and I each got the gifts.

I have seen others say they got different gifts. Must be according to the ship you are on.

Thanks so much! Did you receive gifts afterwards as well?

A really nice robe, a picture frame and six pictures from some of the locations on the tour, a Princess chef's apron and a personalized stationary pad. I may have missed something, but, if not, still a lot of cool stuff.

Edit: As everyone has said, make a beeline to the passenger service desk and sign up as soon as you get on board the ship. We had a full house on our tour.

Edited by ar1950

There is also usually a free galley tour after the cooking show, and sometimes a free backstage tour. Those are nice if you don't want to spend 3 whole hours, or the $150. We did the ultimate tour on the Caribbean Princess and loved it. Be sure to leave room in your luggage for the gifts though.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, no one has been allowed to visit the "actual" engine room since way before 911 .. However, you do get to see the engine control room, which actually operates the ship.

Thank you very much for the clarification. I would of been upset thinking I was going to see the engine room. It still sounds like a good tour.

Thank you very much for the clarification. I would of been upset thinking I was going to see the engine room. It still sounds like a good tour.

There is a closed circuit TV system with cameras in the engine room. They show lots of live pictures of the engine room as well as computer graphics showing what is happening in the actual engine room and with the engines. Also, (which I doubt that most people know) there is way more stuff that the control room monitors all around the ship than you might expect. Totally a good tour.

Do you sign up for the other tours the same way?

Galley tour is usually done after the cooking demo (usually on the last sea day, watch for it in the Patter) and no need to sigh up. Just show up to the Princess theater at the time it is scheduled. I have never seen the back stage tour as a separate tour. It was, however, part of the Ultimate Ship Tour (the one you need to sign up for ASAP when you board). Others may have better info about that.

Edited by ar1950

Do you sign up for the other tours the same way?

If you do the ultimate I believe it includes the things on the others.

The Galley was in the patter and free, haven't done it in a few cruises, but last time I dd you just rocked up.

And am yet to get around to the stage tour so not sure.

We did the stage tour on the island in April 2015. You attend whenever it is listed in the patter. It starts with an introduction to cast members followed Q&A then by a tour back stage into their dressing rooms.