How early to book flight from Houston Hobby?

MaiTaiMary

We will be cruising in/out of Galveston. Do you think a 12:30p flight is safe to book? I know it's a ways from the terminal to the airport. Last year we had a 1:20p flight and got there HOURS early. Did we just luck out or what? The 12:30p flight is a LOT less expensive than the later flight. Also, with our three kids this time, I really don't want to have to sit around the airport for hours.

what do you think?

Thanks. :)

We will be cruising in/out of Galveston. Do you think a 12:30p flight is safe to book? I know it's a ways from the terminal to the airport. Last year we had a 1:20p flight and got there HOURS early. Did we just luck out or what? The 12:30p flight is a LOT less expensive than the later flight. Also, with our three kids this time, I really don't want to have to sit around the airport for hours.

what do you think?

I don't know how you are getting to the airport, but it sure looks OK to me. We have only sailed 3 times from Galveston, others may have more experience or better comments.

what do you think?

Carnival recommends 1:30 PM as the earliest recommended flight time for Hobby. If your transfer is faster and you do self assist, you may be able to get there before that, but also consider you may be pushing your luck if you run into any type of delays, such as traffic tie-ups or the ship arriving late due to fog which is common in Galveston.

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-transfers/galveston.aspx

Private transfers and self-assist.

It will be on a Sunday morning, so unless there is an accident, I wouldn't think there would be much traffic.

So, dumb question, but I haven't done much flying lately...

if we miss the 12:30p flight, will they let us on the 1:00p flight? (assuming there is room, of course) Do we have to pay the additional fee or book an entirely new flight?

We are flying Southwest and there are a number of options.

12:30p

1:05p

2:00p

4:00p

Like I said, on our last cruise, we were there super early. It was before way 10:00a and our flight didn't leave until 1:30p. So not only do we not want to sit around the airport for hours, but the 12:30p flight will save us over $300.

Of course we can consider every possible "what if" we can, but I'm just trying to look at this logically and what is most likely to happen.

Edited by MaiTaiMary

Take a look at the link below regarding what happens if you miss a flight. While Southwest MAY put you on the next available flight (whenever that might be--especially for a family traveling together) at no additional charge, they are within their rights to charge you the difference between what you paid and the current ticket price of the new flight. (And if you are going to miss your flight, you MUST call SW to inform them of that at least 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time.)

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/05/missing-a-flight/

Now having provided you with this info, on my last cruise out of Galveston, we were in the car and all the way home to my brother's house near Katy by 10:30 am. I think you could get to Hobby on a Sunday morning for a 12:30 pm flight unless you were really unlucky with fog (delaying your arrival in Galveston) or unusually bad traffic for a Sunday.

Edited by GradUT

Southwest has the most generous rebooking policy for missed flights! Most other airlines would say that if you miss the flight because you are late getting to the airport that you'd have to pay for new tickets at the walk up price.

Southwest will let you use the money you've paid count towards buying new tickets if the price is different. Then you just pay the difference.

The catch is that you MUST inform them that you'll miss the flight BEFORE it takes off! IF you see you'll be late then call southwest or go on your phone to cancel and rebook the flight for a later one. Don't just show up at the airport late without having told them in some way that you won't be on your flight.

Remember that the next flight may be full and you may have to wait a while to get your whole family on another one.

It will be on a Sunday morning, so unless there is an accident, I wouldn't think there would be much traffic.

if we miss the 12:30p flight, will they let us on the 1:00p flight? (assuming there is room, of course) Do we have to pay the additional fee or book an entirely new flight?

Like I said, on our last cruise, we were there super early. It was before way 10:00a and our flight didn't leave until 1:30p. So not only do we not want to sit around the airport for hours, but the 12:30p flight will save us over $300.

Of course we can consider every possible "what if" we can, but I'm just trying to look at this logically and what is most likely to happen.

I think u will be fine. We did private transfers and self assist and got in a minor accident and got there before 11.

Flight Guidelines

Boarding Time: 12:30pm-3:00pm / Ship Departure: 4:00pm

•Latest arrival flight into IAH before embarkation: 1:00pm

•Earliest return flight out of IAH after debarkation: 1:30pm

•Latest arrival flight into HOU before embarkation: 1:30pm

•Earliest return flight out of HOU after debarkation: 1:30pm

Should't be an issue. Typically it is February into early April.

Keith

I've sailed out of Galveston twice, this past October and November, and had fog issues delaying the ship on both sailings.

While it may be typical for the months you cite, heavy fog can and does develop in other months as well.

I had early afternoon flights both times, and if I would have booked earlier in the day, would have missed my plane.

Edited by evandbob

Should't be an issue. Typically it is February into early April.

Keith

I cruised last November out of Galveston. The cruise before mine was late returning to port due to fog which caused delayed embarkation for my cruise. Officials at Galveston are very quick to close the port for fog, much more so than any other port I've cruised out of. After I finally got on the ship mid afternoon, it was still so foggy I could hardly see the ship docked right behind the one I was on.

Unlike most other airlines, Southwest does not charge a change fee; however, you have to upgrade to Anytime or Business class fares to take a later flight, and there must be seats available. You will have to pay the difference in fare. Be sure to notify Southwest at least 10 minutes before your flight departure time or you forfeit the money you originally paid for your tickets.

Most flights these days fly at capacity. It is pretty rare to find empty seats unless you have a very early morning flight. Planes are much fuller these days than they used to be because airlines have cut capacity.

Edited by winddawn

The Houston/Galveston area is the 4th largest metropolitan area in the US. There is barely any public transportation. If it is raining or there is construction on I-45 traffic can be a night mare getting on or off the island. We picked up my sister in December on an extremely rainy Sunday morning. Our usual one our drive to Galveston took 2 1/2. We finally got to the port at 10:30 and then had to go find somewhere to park in town because debarkation was delayed because of three things...1. customs inspection of all crew 2. a medical emergency 3. three male guests getting arrested for drugs as the ship docked. She didn't leave the ship until almost 1 pm.

If it is a nice day and you do end up getting off the ship fairly early, but have a late afternoon flight, why not go to NASA or Kemah boardwalk. Both are down in the area of Hobby airport.