Current Deal - Cruise Later #3

GMRPHRN

I am looking at booking a cruise in May 2017 on the Carnival Legend. They have 3 deals going on right now on the website. The #3 says it includes a free room location upgrade.

Is that supposed to be immediate or later. Because it gives me the same room choice when I choose any of the deals.

Also, this cruise is some 14 months away, are all those forward and aft rooms really sold out or does Carnival just release some of the rooms for the sale and then later open up more rooms? (This is not the blogger cruise)

If you are thinking that it's an upgrade where they will bump you from an inside to a balcony, that's not what they mean. As KoalaWala pointed out, it simply means that you can book better locations (higher floors, etc) for free, up to two categories higher. In other words, "category" in this case doesn't mean inside, oceanview, balcony, etc. It's means category (i.e. location) within those categories.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

So now my take on the differences between the free category upgrades is that they pretty much bank on the idea that you will not compare one offering from another. I too have looked at offerings that were either that one or past offerings and most if not all of the time it turns out to be the exact same room for all options. So that is why I would generally look at all options then choose the cheapest offer.

If are only being offered "one" cabin as a choice ... then you are using the "new" search engine Carnival has. There should be a button to click (I've read about here) for you to "see more options" -- Even with the "old" search engine, you could only see 10 free cabins at a time, even tho there may have been many more available. Only way to know for sure is to call as the phone agents have access to EVERY avail cabin.

As for the specials, it depends what type of cabin and what location you want ... Ever notice when you are picking your location, Mid ship vs Aft, for example, and your deck (Deck 3 vs deck 7) sometimes deck 7 might be "extra $3.40pp"?? ...whereas deck 3 will say "included in price" ... This is because that deck or location that costs extra is an UPGRADE. So this is what carnival means in their promotions when they say "2 category upgrade"

So you just have to do a mock booking with each option to see which one is actually cheaper.

I have 4 cruises booked right now (Yes, I'm a cruiseaholic, lol) and I just ended up converting 3 out of the 4 to this Wheel of Fortune promo. Two of them it was cheaper for option #2 and one it was cheaper to use option #3 and the forth cruise this promotion was MORE expensive, even taking into account the OBC so that one stayed the same.

Hope this helps, OP!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

I did a mock booking for #2 and #3 and the price ended up being the same once I picked the deck I wanted. I'm thinking I may not get any more price drops this go round.

I didn't bother with choice #1 b/c it had no obc, so it wasn't as good a deal for the deck I wanted.

I did a mock booking for #2 and #3 and the price ended up being the same once I picked the deck I wanted. I'm thinking I may not get any more price drops this go round.

I didn't bother with choice #1 b/c it had no obc, so it wasn't as good a deal for the deck I wanted.

If the price is the same, you can price match to the rate code for deal # or #3 so you can pick up the obc. That's what I did.

For me cruise deal #1 was $40 cheaper, but no OBC. Cruise deal #2 was $20 cheaper with $50 OBC, and cruise deal #3 was the same price with the OBC. Considering that I will lose the OBC if the price drops at all, I chose cruise deal 1 with no OBC. The $10 net OBC isn't worth it for me, especially because I know the price will drop more than another $10, so people will jump for the price adjustment, not realizing that they will lose the OBC.

I am looking at booking a cruise in May 2017 on the Carnival Legend. They have 3 deals going on right now on the website. The #3 says it includes a free room location upgrade.

Is that supposed to be immediate or later. Because it gives me the same room choice when I choose any of the deals.

Also, this cruise is some 14 months away, are all those forward and aft rooms really sold out or does Carnival just release some of the rooms for the sale and then later open up more rooms? (This is not the blogger cruise)

The prices zoomed up with this non sale.

I think that is understood. But how can she/he choose their cabin number? I was wondering that myself

Yea, I wasn't sure, because the upgrade is always immediate. It wouldn't be good to wait later and run the risk of them not having rooms in that category.

If you are online and select 4A with that upgrade, the system will only show you 4C rooms and nothing else. This can be tricky when some people what a specific room number. An example, if someone wanted a 4B to be next to their friends. The may not want to utilize that full '2 cat upgrade' In a case like this, it's best to call guest services.

For me cruise deal #1 was $40 cheaper, but no OBC. Cruise deal #2 was $20 cheaper with $50 OBC, and cruise deal #3 was the same price with the OBC. Considering that I will lose the OBC if the price drops at all, I chose cruise deal 1 with no OBC. The $10 net OBC isn't worth it for me, especially because I know the price will drop more than another $10, so people will jump for the price adjustment, not realizing that they will lose the OBC.

I had $50 OBC with my original booking. I now have $70 OBC due to a small price drop. If you price match with #2 or #3, you won't lose your OBC. If you price match to #1, you will lose the original $50 OBC. At lease that's been my understanding, so I only will go with #1 if the total comes out more than $70 cheaper.