Voice/Data Plan for Caribbean

Hi, maybe a little off topic, but still related to RCC. I'm a Canadian going on my first RCC cruise. In case Americans didn't know, our Canadian domestic rates are generally higher than what the American providers charge. What that also means in that travel packages are also higher (in general).

For Canadians (or Americans), what do you normally do when traveling to the Caribbeans (other than using Wifi at ports)? Is it normally worth purchasing pre-paid SIM cards? I found that the costs are high for international SIM card companies. Can someone walk into a US carrier store, hand some money, and get a SIM card with a pre-paid balance?

I can't say I've ever seen anyone post they use prepaid sims. I can't speak for all US carriers but ATT's prepaid does not support international roaming so a prepaid sim would only work in ports where ATT provides service, which is only a few of the Caribbean stops.

I think most American cruisers, like myself, just use their normal carrier.

Hi, maybe a little off topic, but still related to RCC. I'm a Canadian going on my first RCC cruise. In case Americans didn't know, our Canadian domestic rates are generally higher than what the American providers charge. What that also means in that travel packages are also higher (in general).

For Canadians (or Americans), what do you normally do when traveling to the Caribbeans (other than using Wifi at ports)? Is it normally worth purchasing pre-paid SIM cards? I found that the costs are high for international SIM card companies. Can someone walk into a US carrier store, hand some money, and get a SIM card with a pre-paid balance?

I've seen people use prepaid SIMS in Europe, but not the Caribbean. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you would need an unlocked phone to use another carrier's SIM.

Bob is correct, an unlocked phone is absolutely required to use another carrier's SIM card.

OP, who is your carrier in Canada? I believe the "big three" all have a $50 fee to unlock your phone, which isn't terrible (some fine print applies but if you've had the phone for a while and are generally paid up, it shouldn't be an issue).

I have an employer-issued phone with Rogers, so it's on a corporate plan. That means not being able to take advantage of "roam like home". I'll typically request a "travel pack" for the USA but they're very expensive for other regions such as the Caribbean. I don't use voice or SMS, just data, so I'm just careful with my data usage ($9.99/10 MB), and it ends up being cheaper than the least expensive travel pack.

What's your itinerary? Puerto Rico and St. Thomas USVI may be treated the same as roaming in the mainland USA (as in the case with Rogers, not sure about the others), so look into that with your carrier and keep that in mind.

I am with Koodo (a child company of Telus). They only charge $35 to unlock. I do have access to a GSM phone that is already unlocked, so that is not an issue. My itinerary is Haiti, Jamaica and Mexico. The main issue with taking a travel plan with Koodo is that they split the US and International plans. So you have to buy 2 plans if you want US coverage, as well as Caribbean.

Bob is correct, an unlocked phone is absolutely required to use another carrier's SIM card.

OP, who is your carrier in Canada? I believe the "big three" all have a $50 fee to unlock your phone, which isn't terrible (some fine print applies but if you've had the phone for a while and are generally paid up, it shouldn't be an issue).

I have an employer-issued phone with Rogers, so it's on a corporate plan. That means not being able to take advantage of "roam like home". I'll typically request a "travel pack" for the USA but they're very expensive for other regions such as the Caribbean. I don't use voice or SMS, just data, so I'm just careful with my data usage ($9.99/10 MB), and it ends up being cheaper than the least expensive travel pack.

What's your itinerary? Puerto Rico and St. Thomas USVI may be treated the same as roaming in the mainland USA (as in the case with Rogers, not sure about the others), so look into that with your carrier and keep that in mind.