Should we stop for wine from FLL to port?

waterbugohio

OK, we were one affected by the Empress canc.

We are now flying in the morning of the Navigator cruise instead.

The last of us to the airport is about 10:45.

Should we try to have a taxi stop for us for wine and some soda and water??

How long with this take and what can I expect for a taxi fare with the added stop??

Or is there any way to do this with Uber???

Our other options is to pack wine in our checked bags, but have to watch the weight of the suitcase!!!

Suggestions???

Edited by waterbugohio

If you pack wine in your checked bags you also have to hope that it doesn't break.

Be sure that you know what the rules are of the cruise line in terms of whether or not you can bring wine and other items even soda on board.

The cost of a taxi from the airport to port everglades is around $15.00.

For just wine I love Total Wine and that is just outside the port.

If you want soda and water you might need to stop at something like a CVS where you could get wine too.

You could have the taxi take you and just move quickly as they would be charging you more.

Keith

Or know that the Publix next to Total Wine carries wine, albeit not the selection as the HUGE Wine store.

If this is a Sunday no wine can be sold before noon. I believe Total Wine opens at noon on Sundays. Publix earlier, but not for liquor etc.

Or know that the Publix next to Total Wine carries wine, albeit not the selection as the HUGE Wine store.

If this is a Sunday no wine can be sold before noon. I believe Total Wine opens at noon on Sundays. Publix earlier, but not for liquor etc.

Good point about Sunday hours.

Thank you all so very much.

That is why I love these boards. Completely forgot about the no wine before noon on sunday.

So I guess that pretty well answers my question. We will ave to pack our wine. Will just have to wrap it really good and put in the checked bags. I do have hard side luggage, so that is a little more reassuring.

Will still probably run in somewhere for soda and water.

That is why I love these boards. Completely forgot about the no wine before noon on sunday.

So I guess that pretty well answers my question. We will ave to pack our wine. Will just have to wrap it really good and put in the checked bags. I do have hard side luggage, so that is a little more reassuring.

Boy, I sure wouldn't do that. I like to keep the weight down. Your choice. Use bubble wrap and double zip locks if you don't have quality rum runners.

Another option is once checked in, grab a quick cab to the store and back.

You WILL see cruisers actually walking to and from their ships if on a ship close to Eisenhower. (17th St.) There's stores less than a mile from that entrance and some shop after checking in. Not sure where you will be berthed.

Boy, I sure wouldn't do that. I like to keep the weight down. Your choice. Use bubble wrap and double zip locks if you don't have quality rum runners.

Another option is once checked in, grab a quick cab to the store and back.

You WILL see cruisers actually walking to and from their ships if on a ship close to Eisenhower. (17th St.) There's stores less than a mile from that entrance and some shop after checking in. Not sure where you will be berthed.

FLying southwest, so that is a big advantage.

How do we find out which terminal??? Sailing Navigator on April 10

Depending on the rules of your cruiseline and the ports you are stopping at, you maybe able to grab some soda and water at your first port. We did this on a 6 day cruise that was in Key West the first day and it worked out great (on Carnival).

FLying southwest, so that is a big advantage.

How do we find out which terminal??? Sailing Navigator on April 10

The Navigator will be at one of the mid 20's terminals at the end of Eller Dr, very close to the airport. Not sure if making the extra cab ride distance would be worthwhile or not. Total Wine and the other stores on 17th St are pretty out of the way from the short run from the airport to that part of the port.

We have brought wine in our suitcase. I don't like to do it, but I've never had a problem.

What we have done is wrapped the bottle in a couple of my husband's gym t-shirts for cushioning, and then packed the whole thing in a 2 gallon ziplock bag, then packed that with clothes all around it. Heaven forbid the bottle breaks or leaks, but if it does, it would be absorbed by the shirts and contained by the bag.

When we arrive at the destination airport, we pull out the bag and put it into our carry-on for transport onto the ship (for lines that require the wine be carried on and not inside checked luggage.)

Good luck

Maddle

PS - it's much easier to buy the wine in the embarkation port.

Edited by Maddle

We have brought wine in our suitcase. I don't like to do it, but I've never had a problem.

What we have done is wrapped the bottle in a couple of my husband's gym t-shirts for cushioning, and then packed the whole thing in a 2 gallon ziplock bag, then packed that with clothes all around it. Heaven forbid the bottle breaks or leaks, but if it does, it would be absorbed by the shirts and contained by the bag.

When we arrive at the destination airport, we pull out the bag and put it into our carry-on for transport onto the ship (for lines that require the wine be carried on and not inside checked luggage.)

Good luck

Maddle

PS - it's much easier to buy the wine in the embarkation port.

We've used these before:

http://www.amazon.com/Wine-Skin-WineSkin-Bag-8-Pack/dp/B00GIX531O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8

I bubbled wrapped, and then wrapped in newspaper, and then double baggied 3 bottles of Curacao from Curacao and flew home with them, on Southwest (FROM FLL to BWI)

Be advised that, if you do a good enough job wrapping your booze, TSA will VERY likely open and inspect your checked bag as I suppose the blobs were not easily identifiable on the xray...

One agent did a decent job repackaging, the other did not even really try. They made it home in 1 piece, thankfully, but expect to find a note from them when you open your checked bags in FLL....

Edited by megr1125