2 bottles of wine to drink in cabin before dinner

ottmar

We leave on the Ruby on Thursday for Hawaii and my wife wants to take 2 bottles of wine, one for each of us, to have a glass before we head out to supper. Will they charge us for corking fee at check in, if not, can we decide to take one to dinner and pay the corking fee then?

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

> before we head out to supper

As stated in their policy: "which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.". So, if you consume the wine in your stateroom before supper, there will be no corkage fee on the first 2 bottles of wine (one per adult) brought on-board.

If you bring the bottle to the table, there will be a corkage fee.

That said, we have brought a glass of wine to the table, and were not charged a corkage fee. They have no way of telling if you bought the glass from the bar (comedy show right before dinner), or not.

Note: If you bring on more than 2 bottles, and are charged a corkage fee upon embarkation, I have no idea how to tell your waiter so that they don't charge you another corkage fee if you bring the bottle to the table.

Edited by richmke

We leave on the Ruby on Thursday for Hawaii and my wife wants to take 2 bottles of wine, one for each of us, to have a glass before we head out to supper. Will they charge us for corking fee at check in, if not, can we decide to take one to dinner and pay the corking fee then?

On Princess, you can take on as many bottles of wine or champagne as you wish. At security, they will direct you over to a table to check in your wine. Your first two bottles, if you would like to consume them in your state room will incur no corkage fee. Any bottle after that will be stamped to take throughout the ship, including the main dining room. These bottles will charged the $15 corkage regardless of where you consume them. If you wish to take one of your unstamped bottles to the dining room, yes, you can do so and they will charge the corkage there.

No corkage on two bottles consumed in Cabin. Or poured in Cabin and carried to dining room. Corkage charged if you take a bottle to dining room.

This cruise has four sea days out and four more back - unless you just sip, two bottles will not go far :)

Think about taking more bottles with you and paying corkage - even if only consumed in cabin. You can get plenty of reasonable wines under $10 adding $15 corkage would still beat Princess prices and probably a better wine.

No corkage fee for those two 750ml bottles & you can take them to dinner & pay the $15/bottle corkage fee. If you do not finish the bottle of wine they will store it to have it on another night.

The Princess policy is to consume your fee free bottles of wine in your cabin only however as you can read not everyone follows the policy. I haven't heard of it being enforced when taking a glass of wine from your cabin to dinner or elsewhere on the ship.

"As a reminder, adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom".

Edited by Astro Flyer

The wine is for my wife, I am a beer drinker, but thanks all for the info.

If your schedule allows, head to the happy hours at 3:00 ( on most ships). They offer two for one. DH would get a couple beer and leave one unopened until later in the refrigerator. (There were others that would get 4 beers at a time. )

At security, they will direct you over to a table to check in your wine.

Every other cruise line, we've just put them in our checked luggage and it was fine. On our recent Princess cruise, we got a naughty letter in our very delayed suitcase with the bottles of wine in it :)

So make sure and head to the check in table!

As others have said, carrying a glass of wine into the dining room (what we did many nights) will not incur a corkage fee.

Enjoy!

Note: If you bring on more than 2 bottles, and are charged a corkage fee upon embarkation, I have no idea how to tell your waiter so that they don't charge you another corkage fee if you bring the bottle to the table.

If you are charged a corkage fee upon embarkation,

1) A corkage stamp (paper, similar to a vintage postage stamp) is applied to the bottles you paid for, OR

2) You will receive a receipt stating the number of bottles/corkage fees paid.

From what I can tell, the majority of the time it is the corkage stamp. On our recent CB cruise, we were given a receipt instead of the stamps.

I am just now seeing the 750 ML size for the wine. I had no idea this rule existed. On our last two cruises we've brought the larger sized bottles and no one said a word. Just thought I'd share that.

The 750 ml limit is on the boarding pass & luggage tags for passengers to be aware of the limit. However based on your experiences Princess still lacks standardization on how their policies are applied.

Every other cruise line, we've just put them in our checked luggage and it was fine. On our recent Princess cruise, we got a naughty letter in our very delayed suitcase with the bottles of wine in it :)

So make sure and head to the check in table!

As others have said, carrying a glass of wine into the dining room (what we did many nights) will not incur a corkage fee.

Enjoy!

One time, we only had two bottles (we only take more when sailing out of SF) and were sent to the wine table. The guy there really inspected the bottles very closely. I think maybe he thought we tried to sneak hard liquor into a wine bottle. You should have seen him with his little magnifying glass looking for any break in the seal. I can assure you, it really was wine.

And yes, always pack your wine into your carry on to avoid breakage with all your clothing or a trip to the naughty room to claim your luggage.

We've carried a glass of wine into the dining room but it was from a bottle on which we've paid corkage so not cheating Princess. Even if not from a bottle on which the corkage had been paid, we've consumed wine out on our balcony from bottles which the corkage was paid ... so it all works out in the long run.

Just be sure to bring it with your carry on. There have been cases where wine in luggage has been confiscated and not returned.

As others have stated, one bottle per person is allowed, and if you plan on consuming in your cabin, you are fine.

Enjoy!