To Buy or Not Buy a Drink Package?

Trying to decide if it’s cheaper to purchase a wine or beverage package on your cruise than to pay for individual drinks? Our experience on a Holland America cruise in February 2015 was that it was worth buying the wine package but not the beverage package. If you like a glass or two of wine at lunch or dinner and perhaps another glass outside of meals, it is worth paying for the Navigator’s Choice package (3-bottle, 5-bottle, or 7-bottle) which offers a selection of 7 white wines and 8 reds. Whatever portion of the bottle that you do not finish at a meal can be stored for your next meal at any restaurant, or taken back to your room. The two of us bought the 7-bottle package for our 7-day cruise, and we each brought onboard the 1 bottle of wine allowed for consumption in our room.

We’re glad we didn’t buy the Beverage package, and we heard from others that it was not worth the $45 U.S. + 15% service charge per person per day. The package limits you to glasses of wine under $7, for example, which amounts to a choice of 2 or 3 whites or reds. Most people we talked to said they wouldn’t drink enough of the allowed beverages to get their money’s worth, especially considering the time spent off ship. We calculated that we each paid $26 U.S. per day for all our drinks (wine package at meals, wine in lounges, cocktails, cappuccino, etc. including the service charge). The beverage package would have cost us each twice that ($51.75 U.S. per day) with fewer wines to choose from.

To help you decide whether the beverage package is worth it for you, here are some of the prices charged in the Holland America bars and lounges. Wine by the glass starts at $5.50 then range from $7.25-$11. Domestic beer is $4.75-$5.25, imported $5.25-$6.95. A bucket of 5 cans of beer is $20-$22. Cocktails (mojitos, margaritas, etc.) are $6.95 ($1 less as cocktail of the day or cheaper yet during happy hour at two of the lounges), most vodkas are $5.95-$6.95, rum $5.95-$6.25, tequila $5.95-$13.95, most Canadian & Irish whiskey $5.95, scotch $5.95-$6.95 and up. Most specialty coffees (Irish, Spanish, etc.) are $6.25, soft drinks are $1.95, juices $2.75. A large bottle of water is $3.25. (Note that staff will fill your reusable water bottle at the Lido bar.) (All prices U.S. and add 15% service charge to each.)

If it were only my consumption to be considered, the SBP would be worth considering. With my wife added in the mix since we both have to buy it, not so much. She drinks wine by the glass that usually exceeds the $8 limit. We also have the use of the Neptune Lounge so coffee and water are available. The NL also has an honor bar late afternoon- early evening that's not covered by the package, but does have top shelf liquor. If your brand isn't there, they'll try to accommodate, but I don't think they'll scare you up a bottle of Louis XIII or the like.

Edited by blizzardboy

We have purchased the Signature Beverage Package on 3 cruises. For us it worked out well. DH is not a wine drinker, he prefers mixed drinks. I like mixed drinks and wine with dinner. The wines offered with the beverage package are adequate for me. We may spring for a nice bottle of wine when dining in the Pinnacle Grill, then DH will have some wine. If you are primarily a wine drinker, then one of the wine packages may suit you better. We also enjoy the specialty coffees, soft drinks and bottled water. We usually get a large bottle of water from one of the bars to take ashore. It doesn't take long to meet and exceed the daily cost of the package.

Edited by Cruiz'nBaers

Our experience matches that of the OP. We did much better with a wine package than a drinks package, especially now that we get a Mariner discount on the wine packages.

We've had the drinks card as part of a promo and got very little value from it. Wine with dinner is our main alcohol consumption on a cruise. We didn't like the wines by the glass that the card allowed, and the card won't let you "trade" any number of drinks for a bottle of wine. I think the biggest use we made of the drinks card was bottles of water to take ashore. Not worth $50 per day for us.

We had the package as part of an Explore4 booking on Volendam.

We certainly made use of the package, and I don't doubt that we exceeded $45 on most days (given that there were at least two glasses of wine each in the dining room, and at least 3 or 4 drinks during the day).

That being said, we drank considerably more that we would have because the drinks were already paid for. I'm while I can certainly see getting value for money in the package now that I've had it, I'm not at all certain that it's value for money that I particularly need or want.

I'll use it when it comes with the fare, but I'm not sure that I'll ever buy it, otherwise.

The NL also has an honor bar late afternoon- early evening that's not covered by the package, but does have top shelf liquor. If your brand isn't there, they'll try to accommodate, but I don't think they'll scare you up a bottle of Louis XIII or the like.

:confused::confused: Since when has the Neptune Lounge had an Honor Bar:confused::confused: I know I have not cruised HAL nearly as frequently as I use to and the last two times I was not in a Neptune Suite.

Our experience matches that of the OP. We did much better with a wine package than a drinks package, especially now that we get a Mariner discount on the wine packages.

We've had the drinks card as part of a promo and got very little value from it. Wine with dinner is our main alcohol consumption on a cruise. We didn't like the wines by the glass that the card allowed, and the card won't let you "trade" any number of drinks for a bottle of wine. I think the biggest use we made of the drinks card was bottles of water to take ashore. Not worth $50 per day for us.

That's a good point. We got the Explore4 on our last cruise and also for our upcoming cruise. DH enjoys mixed drinks, but I am usually more of a wine drinker. In general mixed drinks are okay, but I do enjoy a nice glass or two of wine with my dinner and I found that lacking with the SBP. We are not cheap but to have the SBP as a perk and to still buy wine above and beyond that seems like a bit much for me personally. Like others I wish HAL would offer more of a variety of wines by the glass with the SBP. Other than a limited offering of wine, we like the SBP and enjoy the soft drinks, coffees and cocktails. If we didn't get the SBP as a perk, I think we would buy the beverage cards that allow more choices of wine. SBP or beverage card, either way it saves us from having to hold onto all those slips of paper to tally up each day or at the end of the cruise. We do appreciate that convenience.

We had the package as part of an Explore4 booking on Volendam.

We certainly made use of the package, and I don't doubt that we exceeded $45 on most days (given that there were at least two glasses of wine each in the dining room, and at least 3 or 4 drinks during the day).

That being said, we drank considerably more that we would have because the drinks were already paid for. I'm while I can certainly see getting value for money in the package now that I've had it, I'm not at all certain that it's value for money that I particularly need or want.

I'll use it when it comes with the fare, but I'm not sure that I'll ever buy it, otherwise.

If the drink package comes with the fare of the cruise you significantly over payed on the cruise fare. This is perfectly fine, but just be aware.

I think there are a few factors in deciding whether or not to purchase the drink package. How much do you intend to drink on vacation? Do you like the mental freedom of not thinking about buying beverages on your vacation?

If the drink package comes with the fare of the cruise you significantly over payed on the cruise fare. This is perfectly fine, but just be aware.

Without knowing the fares offered with and without the promotion, there's no way you can say that with any certainty. While it's true that there's no such thing as a free lunch (or a free kitten), promotional offerings are often amortized over multiple passengers on multiple cruises.

Without knowing the fares offered with and without the promotion, there's no way you can say that with any certainty. While it's true that there's no such thing as a free lunch (or a free kitten), promotional offerings are often amortized over multiple passengers on multiple cruises.

It's just my opinion, I have no statistical data. I have watched these promotions and prices for years and years and they always are significantly more than a cruise price without them included.

It's just my opinion, I have no statistical data. I have watched these promotions and prices for years and years and they always are significantly more than a cruise price without them included.

Then your experience is remarkably different from many who post regularly to these boards. Not saying you are wrong in your observation, just that empirical data suggests your sweeping statement is not warranted.

Not always.

I have often heard that the price of the cruise goes down after the promotion ends, but I haven't seen it on my cruises. Maybe it's because we book balconies or higher grades, and the bargains are better at the OV/inside grades? We've had the Explore 4 twice and not seen an increase in price after it ended.

That said, not having the Ex4 did save us money on our recent cruise. Our TA offered us a great price if we were willing to do without the Ex4. The difference in price was definitely worth it, so we booked the "low price, no perks" option. If I'd booked online directly with HAL I wouldn't have had this option.

I have also read here that during an Ex4 promotion it was possible to call HAL and book without the promotion and get a better price. And I've read that some people tried this and didn't get a better price.

So, as with so many things with HAL these days, not always.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

The number one thing to remember it is still Business 101. With Supply and Demand being what pushes prices to rise and drop as well as anything a company is giving you, you are paying for it one way or another ;)

I have gone through about 20 different sailings for 2016 and found most to have gone up with the new promotion but about 20% did stay about the same as they were and added the promotion.

In my up coming October Westerdam cruise the price went up $200.00 per person which was the same price I paid for the Explore4 that had the extra ship board credit for Suites and the CLIA promo of extra SBC so this current offer is not nearly as good as I had for Explore4.

HAL is still offering their Advantage Fares, you do not have to purchase with the Anniversary Sale. Over all I think it is cheaper just to purchase the drinks rather than a drink package especially for those that are 4 star or higher.

I think there are a few factors in deciding whether or not to purchase the drink package. How much do you intend to drink on vacation? Do you like the mental freedom of not thinking about buying beverages on your vacation?

If I overpaid, why is my cruise now considerably more expensive $1000pp and I got the package which is no longer offered?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I've read posts that vary greatly regarding promotions and price drops. Some people say they saved greatly by rebooking but they lose the E4, others say the price never dropped, or went up. In truth we are relative newbies, with our upcoming cruise being #6, the second with HAL. I am not familiar with booking, then watching prices to cancel and rebook, etc. We just try to make sure we are happy paying for what we want, and that has worked for us so far lol Our current cruise is a little different considering it encompasses three separate legs of one long trip, we've booked the 9 night middle part, and since there's a cruise that runs an extra week after us, the prices never dropped for our portion, probably because they are still selling two other longer cruises (1st and 3rd) at the same time.

I will answer your last question regarding not worrying about buying drinks being a type of mental freedom - yes, that is a large part of enjoying the SBP included in the promo. The $300 onboard credit is really nice too.

I pleased to say that my December and July cruises both have explore 4. It was added in both cases after I had already booked my cruise. I was not charged more but got it because the promotion came out after I booked and the staterooms were roughly the same price with it. I didn't use the card for much alcohol except at dinner. I liked the freedom of the variety (cocktail, glass of wine, shot of brandy in my coffee). The rest of the time I used it for lattes, water, and the occasional beverage between meals. If you only drink wine, juice,coffee and tea, I would not purchase this card.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by chefestelle

If I overpaid, why is my cruise now considerably more expensive $1000pp and I got the package which is no longer offered?

The demand for a particular cruise will always determine the pricing trends. If you booked a popular cruise, the price went up as usual.

So I "significantly" overpaid at the time I booked?

I would think so, yes. If price point isn't a concern for you, it's no problem. We sail all types of cabins. It's a rare happening that you got a good deal with explore 4 promo, but believe what you want it's your money.

I would think so, yes. If price point isn't a concern for you, it's no problem. We sail all types of cabins. It's a rare happening that you got a good deal with explore 4 promo, but believe what you want it's your money.

Strange I paid the same price as was quoted to me before the explore 4 package was introduced, actually that is not fair it did go up about half the value of the explore 4 and then my TA negotiated it back down.

The cost of the sailing has never come down since the offering was removed.

Doesn't matter too much to me as I would have purchased the sbp anyway and the pg dinner and spent the obc.

When we sailed in January we booked a Neptune and asked for the price if the Explore 4 promo was removed. We saved $1000/pp. we are sailing in May with the Explore 4 promo and when the veranda promo came out we called to see if we could get that as we booked two partially obstructed cabins. The price increased without the Explore 4 so we left it the way it is. I think we will enjoy trying after dinner drinks along with specialty coffees just this once!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Strange I paid the same price as was quoted to me before the explore 4 package was introduced, actually that is not fair it did go up about half the value of the explore 4 and then my TA negotiated it back down.

The cost of the sailing has never come down since the offering was removed.

Doesn't matter too much to me as I would have purchased the sbp anyway and the pg dinner and spent the obc.

That's great you got the deal you wanted.