Problem with RCCL Jewelry Stores

In October 2015, I went on a Mediterranean cruise on the Royal Caribbean ship "Allure of the Seas" and purchased a Tag Heuer wristwatch from Regalia Fine Jeweler. We were required to pay a VAT tax of $491.40. Regalia Jewelers assured us that we would receive a partial refund of the Vat tax amounting to $368.21 by submitting our receipt to US Customs at the airport in Detroit, MI.

While going thru US Customs in Detroit, MI we presented the receipt and all the required paperwork to get our refund. The Customs officials told us that they don’t give refunds of the VAT tax from foreign countries. The officer placed the US Customs stamp on the receipt and told us to submit it to the Global Refund officials in Madrid Spain.

Regalia Jewelers had also provided the forms and the Madrid address to submit our refund request by mail if we chose to do so. We sent all the required documentation to the address in Madrid Spain by registered mail on Oct. 22, 2015.

In Jan 2016 we still hadn’t received our VAT refund so I contacted Royal Caribbean to see if they could help us get the refund. They told me that Regalia Fine Jewelers is an independent jewelry company and that Royal Caribbean has no control over their sales or taxation process and that they would not help us.

The point of my writing this review is to alert future cruisers on Royal Caribbean ships that this cruise line takes no responsibility for purchases made from the shipboard stores and you would probably be better off to make your purchases on land in the ports you are visiting. The stores at the ports that we have frequented have been reputable companies that stand behind their products.

NEVER, EVER rely on the cruise line to "recommend" a jeweler...they are all in "cahoots"....no bargains....no guarantees.....it's a huge scam.

Buy your expensive jewelry at home. Much better for all concerned.

Sorry you had a problem! Buy jewelry from duty free ports with reputable shops, not just the shops recommended by the cruise lines. If they recommend, they are paid a commission! Many shops are independents and have done business with cruisers with

great customer service, especially in the Caribbean! You need to know a little about jewelry or name brands, ie watches, ect!

Has been given here. NEVER BUY a high priced item abroad unless it is a deal to die for.

Having said that my story. We were in Zermont Switzerland and had some time to burn, we went into a tour guides recommended store. I could have updated my wife's Rolex for a price that was OUTSTANDING, it was so low that any tax US or VAT would not have mattered. I still kick my self and my wife will never let me forget LOL my decision not to buy it. YES before some one says are you sure it was a true ROLEX, YES IT WAS, we know ROLEX watches.

NEVER, EVER rely on the cruise line to "recommend" a jeweler...they are all in "cahoots"....no bargains....no guarantees.....it's a huge scam.

Buy your expensive jewelry at home. Much better for all concerned.

Totally agree!!! Absolutely one of the worst decisions anyone could make is buying from a cruise line 'Recommended' jeweler. Shop at a local trusted jeweler.

Edited by JKrise

Have you contacted the refund company? I think when I was in Europe it was called Global Blue. I didn't receive my refund for months. I emailed them and needed to call. Apparently the VAT office at the airport didn't fill my paperwork in properly. I had to send them a copy of my passport. I eventually got my refund but I think in total it took about 6 months.

While not a tax refund story, My wife bought a white coach watch on Serenade O.S. After about 6 months the white coating started to flake off in one area. She took it in to a coach store with her receipt and they replaced it with no questions.

Getting a refund can take time. We submitted out paperwork for Norwegian shopping on the Brilliance, while docked in Geirenger.

That was early August. I mailed the tax forms for Iceland upon our arrival at home. That was mid August.

All of the refunds were credited to our charge cards in November.

That said, I have found great values for watches and jewelry on RC ships.

But, it does pay to find a good jeweler that isn't kicking back to the cruise line. My wife did some heavy duty shopping in St. Martin, finding items that were substantially cheaper than than family-owned or chain jewelers in and around our home.