Tipping on Princess booked excursions?

Bimmie Girl

Sailing this summer, 8 days land and 7 days sea. Have booked most of our excursions through Princess, now trying to figure out cost of everything. How much do you tip or do you tip on excursions? Doing a fishing trip, beer watch, whale watch etc.. Is tipping expected and if so how much?

Tipping is a personnal metter that each must decide on their own. There is no set standard or amount or time on tipping. Yes many people do tip the excursion operator at the end but how much is rarely made public.

I've got to agree with the others that tipping is a very personal thing. Watching while others left different excursions last year it appeared the majority extended some type of tip to the guides, but have no idea how much. I have also have no idea how my tipping matches up with others, but I believe I tipped, for the two of us, about $30 for the dog sledding and Misty Fjords flight and something less for the Dyea Dave excursion.

I do know the largest tip I gave was to the cabbie in Vancouver that took us from the airport to our Hotel across from the pier. I believe I tipped him $50 because he was so full of knowledge of his town and he enjoyed sharing it . We didn't want to get out of the cab he was so good.

I've tipped anywhere from zero to $100 (to cover DW and I for an awesome private photography adventure in Haines...four hour tour and we were able to extend it to six hours on-the-fly, and caught bears that the other private photo tour didn't get to see, because our guide had the patience to make it happen). Again though, personal preference.

I've got to agree with the others that tipping is a very personal thing. Watching while others left different excursions last year it appeared the majority extended some type of tip to the guides, but have no idea how much. I have also have no idea how my tipping matches up with others, but I believe I tipped, for the two of us, about $30 for the dog sledding and Misty Fjords flight and something less for the Dyea Dave excursion.

I do know the largest tip I gave was to the cabbie in Vancouver that took us from the airport to our Hotel across from the pier. I believe I tipped him $50 because he was so full of knowledge of his town and he enjoyed sharing it . We didn't want to get out of the cab he was so good.

Thanks for the advice! I know it is a personal matter, I just don't want to tip so little it insults them, so appreciate seeing numbers.

Most of the time the tour operator just sticks the money in their pocket until after the travellers are gone. They probably wold not say anyhing even though later they may comment among friends. By commenting to the customer in this day and age they know it would be all over the internet in just a fe hours. With large groups they probably have no idea who tipped what.

Again it is all up to the individual on their tipping procedures.

Your cab driver story made me smile, what a great intro to a great city.

As for tipping on excursions, there have been a couple of excursions that I did not tip because of bad service/bad attitude. Usually though, it is $5 (for a driver) to $20 for a few people sharing a "tip jar".

In advance of the excursion I put a few $5 bills in one pocket, and a couple of $10s in another pocket, so I'm not fumbling around trying to find what I want.

I don't do the really expensive flight seeing, or bear viewing excursions, and usually don't pay more than $99 for any excursion. I generally give $5 tip pp but as others say it is really up to you.

When we did our Holland America cruisetour, HAL gave an estimate of $2 to the driver and $4.50 to the tour director per day. I used that calculation for my excursions too. Now that was almost 10 years ago, so prices may have gone up considerably.

Only once did I not give a tip at all, and that was because the guide kept stating how important tips were to them and pointing out the tip jar. And not just once, but numerous times throughout the tour. That really turned me off, she was more interested in making sure we tipped than in actually giving the tour.

And other posters have stated they give less tip if the owner of the company is the tour guide. I never let that influence me, if I felt a tip was deserved, they got it.

>SNIP<

And other posters have stated they give less tip if the owner of the company is the tour guide. I never let that influence me, if I felt a tip was deserved, they got it.

Good for you! When I owned a small business (not tourism related) any tip that I, as owner, received for services rendered went (in full) to the staff. My thinking on that was that, because I had hard working, reliable staff, I was able to provide the service for which I personally received the tip. So who deserved the tip? :)

Sailing this summer, 8 days land and 7 days sea. Have booked most of our excursions through Princess, now trying to figure out cost of everything. How much do you tip or do you tip on excursions? Doing a fishing trip, beer watch, whale watch etc.. Is tipping expected and if so how much?

I'm guessing you are doing the Connoisseur Tour? All tips are included on the land portion EXCEPT the tour guide. It is suggested $5 to $7 per day.

Your cab driver story made me smile, what a great intro to a great city.

As for tipping on excursions, there have been a couple of excursions that I did not tip because of bad service/bad attitude. Usually though, it is $5 (for a driver) to $20 for a few people sharing a "tip jar".

In advance of the excursion I put a few $5 bills in one pocket, and a couple of $10s in another pocket, so I'm not fumbling around trying to find what I want.

that is a great idea. thanks

I'm guessing you are doing the Connoisseur Tour? All tips are included on the land portion EXCEPT the tour guide. It is suggested $5 to $7 per day.

Yes the Connoisseur Tour for the land portion and yes we knew about the Cruise Director. We are fishing all day in Kenai through Princess tour so not sure if we should tip the fish guide that day?

There are some great ideas here, so will take cash where ever we go and follow what others are doing. thanks you all!!

I was recently thinking about this....we have a number of private shore excursions booked and a few of them are booked with the OWNER of the company. Meaning he/she will pick us up in their van/boat and spend their time taking us around. I am thinking that I won't tip them because they already set their prices to include everything, in my mind. Make sense? Don't see that we would give them MORE than what they originally asked for and also since they are not paying anyone else. Do you guys agree??? We do pay about $5-$10pp for other types of excursions and hoped? the bus "talker" split with the driver but maybe not?? It is a hard call to make :confused: