insurance

ccc321

This July will be my first cruise with ncl on the breakaway. Final payment is due in a few weeks and I was planning on adding the ins. Do most people buy their ins. through ncl or privately. I am wondering which is the better option.

This July will be my first cruise with ncl on the breakaway. Final payment is due in a few weeks and I was planning on adding the ins. Do most people buy their ins. through ncl or privately. I am wondering which is the better option.

Don't buy through NCL (or any cruise line). It is not that good. Try insure my trip dot com. You will get various quotes and can pick the policy best for you.

Edited by Sissaaaaaa

We purchase our insurance through insuremytrip dot com. I have not even looked at NCL's insurance but I know Carnival's insurance isn't no where as near as good as what I can find on insuremytrip. Also, can find it a lot cheaper there. They have several companies to compare and choose from.

Many experienced cruisers will purchase insurance from third party insurance companies directly.

Now, keep in mind that in most cases that to cover pre-existing conditions that most companies require that you purchase the insurance within two weeks of making your initial deposit.

We also use insuremytrip.com to find other companies.

Keith

I recently bought insurance through NCL only because of the pre-existing clause. I was going to purchase through insure my trip.com but my MIL has been sick on and off again with liver failure and in and out of the hospital. Even though she is not traveling with us on our cruise, the people with insure my trip would consider her illness as a pre-existing condition and this would not allow us to recoup money if we had to cancel due to her being sick again. I even called 2 x and spoke with 2 different agents about this clause and both agreed.

When I called NCL's insurance company they said she is not considered as pre-existing for our purpose's because she is not traveling with us. So while the NCL insurance was more expensive, we decided to go with their insurance vs insure my trip in case we would have to cancel for my MIL's health.

Many experienced cruisers will purchase insurance from third party insurance companies directly.

Now, keep in mind that in most cases that to cover pre-existing conditions that most companies require that you purchase the insurance within two weeks of making your initial deposit.

We also use insuremytrip.com to find other companies.

Keith

To OP (and Keith1010 :)), contact Steve and his colleagues at

TripInsuranceStore.com

CALL. If you want to read the policy summaries online, that's great, but the real value with their services is they'll help you purchase exactly what works for your particular situation, and they don't try to upsell. (The opposite - they've explained a few times why we could use a less expensive coverage, given the circumstances.)

And there is at least one insurer they use that DOES allow the waiver of pre-existing condition exclusion, if purchased immediately at final payment.

(The "problem" with this policy is slightly lower max coverage, and mostly IF one wants to add Cancel For Any Reason [CFAR], it's very expensive at this point.)

And there are also companies that have the coverage if one starts the insurance within 21 days, not just 14.

So there are several good choices usually available.

Is American Ex travel insurance worth looking into. Has anyone used it?

I have used it a few times, but never had to make a claim. I made a claim once with Travel Guard, and it was very easy. I had to make a claim once with MH Ross and it was like pulling teeth to get them to pay.

CSA was a bit of a pain to deal with also, but we eventually got fully reimbursed. They are also one of the few that will cover missed/delayed flights for just about any reason. I always buy through insure my trip, but I find it helpful to call them first and tell them exactly what I need. They are good about suggesting plans that will work best for us.

~Joanne

I would recommend you do NOT purchase insurance through the cruise line. I use InsureMyTrip.com.

I recently bought insurance through NCL only because of the pre-existing clause. I was going to purchase through insure my trip.com but my MIL has been sick on and off again with liver failure and in and out of the hospital. Even though she is not traveling with us on our cruise, the people with insure my trip would consider her illness as a pre-existing condition and this would not allow us to recoup money if we had to cancel due to her being sick again. I even called 2 x and spoke with 2 different agents about this clause and both agreed.

When I called NCL's insurance company they said she is not considered as pre-existing for our purpose's because she is not traveling with us. So while the NCL insurance was more expensive, we decided to go with their insurance vs insure my trip in case we would have to cancel for my MIL's health.

We used Travel Insured for our Pearl cruise last December - we did have to cancel due to my brother-in-law's condition getting worse, and he was traveling on the cruise with us. His condition was definitely pre-existng and they fully reimbursed us.

Note we did purchase the policy at the same time we booked the cruise. By the way I posted a summary of the claim process on the Insurance board if anyone wants to see how that worked.

Edited by alexspepa

We used Travel Insured for our Pearl cruise last December - we did have to cancel due to my brother-in-law's condition getting worse, and he was traveling on the cruise with us. His condition was definitely pre-existng and they fully reimbursed us.

Note we did purchase the policy at the same time we booked the cruise. By the way I posted a summary of the claim process on the Insurance board if anyone wants to see how that worked.

We've had claims with them also, and it was very simple.

They are our choice now, unless we miss that 21 day window from first deposit. Only happened once, with a reservation we didn't think we'd really use....

We made sure we had the waiver of pre-existing condition exclusion.

For one of the claims (the big one!), there *might* have been a question about whether it was related to a prior condition, but with that type of coverage, there wasn't any concern, and they didn't even request any old medical history info.

We absolutely won't get any other type of coverage, at this age... too much medical "stuff" in our backgrounds by now.

After all, there's no point in travel insurance if the claim is going to be "iffy"!

I am sorry I mis-typed- I need to point out my BIL was NOT traveling with us on the cruise, and in fact was never booked to travel. We were still reimbursed fully.

Wrong....insure my trip is not an insurance company so they have no say in what is covered.....they just represent policies for sale from insurance companies in a one stop online shopping mall Ncl gave you correct info btw

Insuremytrip could not possibly have given you a pat answer to your query for if they had they would need to read the policies for hundreds if not thousands of companies they represent

You would have been better off simply asking for the definition of "pre existing" which btw is detailed on every single policy. Some policies may vary but bottom line...they are insuring you...the traveler....not your non traveling relatives

Also for the vast majority of policies pre existing only pertains to the travelers!!!

Example....your mil keeps her illness from you so you don't worry and you book a trip. It's her illness not yours and she is not your traveling party. You buy insurance. She dies. You file a claim. It will be approved because she is an immediate relative even though she has had this pre existing disease for sometime wether you knew about it or not

Example....your mil is ill and may not make it...ok she has the illness but is not traveling with you...the illness covers you...do you have a pre existing illness? That's all that matters but will cover you if you cancel due to her death or imminent death if certified by a doctor that her end is near

I dont understand the idea that pre existing pertains to all your non traveling family members!!!

It only pertains to the traveler and their pre existing illnesses!!!

Better check with all your first cousins before you book your next cruise to see how they are feeling.

Btw that Ncl insurance only covered your cruise cost....not airfare....hotels....etc unless you specifically asked Ncl to add those costs to the policy in which case Ncl would be thrilled to do that for you as they make a huge profit on their policies.

Edited by luvtheships

Also to the op.....you say..."if she were to be sick again". There is a big difference between near death and being sick again

If you are worried about her and want to cancel that's one thing and you may or may not be covered. but regardless of how long your mil has been sick....if she dies or is very near death.....and you cancel you are covered under....the death or near death of immediate family member clause.....nothing to do with pre existing clause

Heck you are covered if your basement floods before your cruise....if it's happened before then I guess that's pre existing too....but you are covered nonetheless

I am sorry I mis-typed- I need to point out my BIL was NOT traveling with us on the cruise, and in fact was never booked to travel. We were still reimbursed fully.

Exactly. Your Bil is immediate relative and was seriously ill....and I'm sure the insurance company asked for a doctors note too

Point is....your non traveling Bil had a pre existing illness that took a turn for the worse ....so you were covered under "family illness". Not pre existing

The same scenario should apply to the op