HAL vs NCL

Suze10860

I posted this on the NCL board too....

Here's an interesting situation. I think that a couple we are friends with is going to wait until the very last minute, and then book on our April 3 Breakaway cruise (at a really nice price.) They have only cruised once before, and not only was it on HAL, but they didn't pay for themselves! Her parents did. (Sweet, right?)

So I'm really hoping they come with us, but my only concern is what their expectations might be having only sailed once before on a line that is (I think) very different than NCL. They also sailed out of Florida, so the itinerary was definitely a little more exciting than the Breakaway out of NY itinerary. We don't really cruise so much for the ports. It's more about getting away and relaxing for us.

They are in their mid-40's and lots of fun. They like to stay active and I'm sure they'd want to take advantage of excursions at each port. (This is unlike my husband and I who enjoy nothing more than chilling on our balcony as often as possible.) I think our plan is more to be independent during the days, then get together to take advantage of our UBP's and have fun each night.

Anyone who has sailed both lines - thoughts on any information I might share with them so they're not caught too off guard by the differences, both good and bad?

Thanks!

I think the best starting point is to ask them what their expectations are and take it from there. With only one cruise, they may not have strong notions of what a cruise should be. Plus, her parents probably chose the line since they were paying, so it may have been her parents' idea of a good cruise, not hers. Don't assume they'll want everything to be as it was on HAL.

You're right, NCL and HAL are different. HAL is very quiet and for the most part rolls up the sidewalks early at night. No silly (IMO) pool games. No amusement park on the top deck, either. (That's what it looks like to me--I guess it's a water slide?)

Also make it clear what your expectations are. We cruised many times with another couple. Mostly we took the same tours, but if we had different preferences, each of us did as we pleased--and then we had something to share when we met up at dinner. Nobody was ever offended if preferences differed. If you think your friends WILL be offended if you don't take the tours they want, it's something you need to clarify up front.

I have sailed five times on HAL and 12 times on NCL with a bunch more cruises booked. I think your friends will have an awesome time on Breakaway. Breakaway is so big that you can create your own experience and ignore the vast portions of the ship that do not apply to you.

Spice H2O, the adults-only beach club at the back of the ship is likely your best poolside option. There's also an area called VIBE, which is an additional fee sun deck that you may want to consider. Typically there are only 85 passes sold for the week.

Focus on dining, and bars, and shows and Breakaway will feel every bit as elegant as a HAL ship. Good luck on your cruise.

I have cruised 7 times on NCL (but not on a mega-ship) and once on HA (with another next fall). Here is my opinions:

Non-suite rooms: Pretty much a toss-up. Seem about same size to me. HA has bathtubs in most balcony rooms. HA does not have coffeemakers (boo).

Suite rooms: More variety of rooms and better perks on NCL.

Non-specialty Dining: I thought HA slightly better, wife thought NCL slightly better. NCL has a service charge for room service. HA more formal, but apparently has been relaxed. Fixed dining avaialbe on HA, not on NCL.

Specialty Dining: Pinnacle Grill excellent on HA, but NCL has a wider variety of choices, also good to excellent.

Nightlife: HA more dead at night, but like the piano bar. Do not usually go to production shows.

Itineraries: HA has a wider variety, including more long cruises up to around the world.

Smoking: HA allows balcony smoking, NCL does not. NCL has a cigar room in the interior bar area.

Service: Good on both, NCL crew has seemed friendlier and more accomodating (did not like our cabin stewards on HAL, but this is a single case.)

When one is on a cruise, it can't be "bad" . My DW and I sailed once on the Gem with another couple, our neighbors. We are middle aged and beyond. My wife and I enjoyed it more than our neighbors. And they picked the cruise! We prefer HAL, much for the same reasons you do. To me, NCL seemed more like a party ship and HAL feels more refined, mature and relaxing.

We have had good cruises on both.

They are definitely different.

They do have, IMHO, one thing in common. You need to be careful when selecting a ship since there is a wide variety of ships in each fleet. They both have ships that we would sail on, and older ones that we would avoid.