Requesting a specific table in the MDR

My cruise group unexpectedly went from 4 to 3 and the remaining 3 are concerned about seating arrangements in the MDR. We have had some not so great experiences when sitting at a big top with other groups. When talking to carnival, we asked if we could still get an individual table and the customer service representative said that we would need to make a request with the MDR after boarding. Has anyone done this kind of thing before? Do I need to slip someone a $20? :) If so, how does one do that? Smooth is not my middle name. Any advice would be great!

Awesome!! Thank you so much!

I've requested a table for 2 for the last 10+ cruises, emailing the mater'd on the ship a week or so before you cruise. They have only replied back one time, but we have always gotten a table for 2. They are under no obligation to reply but they do try to accommodate you if at all possible. Not every ships mater'd address is, as stated earlier, the first 2 letters. I think there are a few that are different. The full list has been listed on here before, search it. What ship will you be sailing on?? Maybe I can find it in my stuff I gave stashed in my files. Good luck.

My cruise group unexpectedly went from 4 to 3 and the remaining 3 are concerned about seating arrangements in the MDR. We have had some not so great experiences when sitting at a big top with other groups. When talking to carnival, we asked if we could still get an individual table and the customer service representative said that we would need to make a request with the MDR after boarding. Has anyone done this kind of thing before? Do I need to slip someone a $20? :) If so, how does one do that? Smooth is not my middle name. Any advice would be great!

do you have early, late or ATD?

I've requested a table for 2 for the last 10+ cruises, emailing the mater'd on the ship a week or so before you cruise. They have only replied back one time, but we have always gotten a table for 2. They are under no obligation to reply but they do try to accommodate you if at all possible. Not every ships mater'd address is, as stated earlier, the first 2 letters. I think there are a few that are different. The full list has been listed on here before, search it. What ship will you be sailing on?? Maybe I can find it in my stuff I gave stashed in my files. Good luck.

We are sailing on the conquest at the end of April. Any help would be great.

do you have early, late or ATD?

Late.

I would hope a big top wouldn't be awful again but you never know. I would rather try to make change before any thing unpleasant happens.

And the last, it was just a table full of rude and cruel people that treated the wait staff just awful. Makes everyone's life miserable.

Late.

I would hope a big top wouldn't be awful again but you never know. I would rather try to make change before any thing unpleasant happens.

And the last, it was just a table full of rude and cruel people that treated the wait staff just awful. Makes everyone's life miserable.

if you had ATD , you would have no issues whatsoever.

for late, go to the matre'd once you get on and he/she will try to help (no guarantee)

I sent in emails for the last 5 cruises, received a confirmation that the request is being forwarded and than I received a confirmation and table number when it is set up. But than again, it's not Carnival. :D

Oh, if I only had read all the posts on table assignments.

My DW and I are going on our 1st cruise. It was her idea. We are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary during the cruise.

I am a consumer of information. It did not take long to gravitate to this site. I have learned so much from this site. It is a tremendous resource.

Early in my searching, I read about people asking for freebies because they were celebrating something. This seemed weird to me. Seems to me that is why a large percentage go on a cruise. Seems strange to spend thousands of dollars and obsess over a tiny gift. Seems like such an attitude could be a burden on cruise lines given the potential volume of requests. Worse off, I have seem the predictable attitudes of people wanting what someone else got. No good deed goes unpunished and all. Ya', I don't get people.

The whole strange dance got me thinking though. The one thing I would like extra from carnival is privacy at dinner. I know. I have read all the reviews. Even a table for 2 is not "private". However, given that has no monetary value, and given that people were asking for all kinds of valuable stuff, I decided to pursue the possibility.

Here comes the useful stuff (hopefully).

1st I read about requesting via John's Blog (John Heald). Don't do it. He is overwhelmed with such requests. After months of waiting, I got an email back from "the beards", telling me to email to email cclsupport with my request no later than 1 week before cruise. (more on that later).

Later reading suggested that the Maitre'd would have to be contacted directly once on board and that it was 1st come 1st served after those that have cruised so much they have special perks. Other's said your TA could handle it. There were other methods listed, but all boiled down to that person handing it eventually.

While I was waiting, I read a Tweet asking for a freebie. I glommed onto that conversation. I eventually PM'ed and emailed the person. I am on his calendar with no promises.

Meanwhile, the reply came from "the beards". I replied to that email that I was all set. Doing so generated a case number and a robo reply from cclsupport. That prompted me to send a panicked reply to the guy who has me on his calendar. I do not want to generate multiple requests. There is such a think as bugging people.

Now I see this Maitre'd email thing. Contacting that person has been a common thread amongst all paths. Every method has stated that that person would get a request. Had I seen that possibility earlier, I would have cut out the middle man and asked directly.

I do not know if I will have success. I know this much: It is good to read read read read.... and then act.

Edited by MaineBirdBrain

There's 8 of us sailing on the Sunshine. We all had the 6pm dining but wanted to sit at the same table. I happened to call the 800 Carnival # about something else, but asked the rep if I wait to get in the ship to request a table for the 8 of us. She said she'd be more than happy to make that arrangement right now, as it'll be too crowded the 1st nite at dinner. I was really surprised as I had no idea Carnival did that. So you might wanna try calling now. Our sail date is April 8th BTW.

Now I see this Maitre'd email thing. Contacting that person has been a common thread amongst all paths. Every method has stated that that person would get a request. Had I seen that possibility earlier, I would have cut out the middle man and asked directly.

I do not know if I will have success. I know this much: It is good to read read read read.... and then act.

This Maitre'd email thing has been working for us for at least 8 years. A Maitre'D on the Spirit gave us the email and told us how to change it for different ships. We usually request the same table by number (on Spirit class ships - late seating) about 2 weeks before sailing. Sometimes we receive a response, sometimes not, but we always get the table we requested.

We request a booth for 4 by the Maitre'D station and have it to ourselves. Service is always good by the Maitre'D station.

And during late seating, there always seem to be many vacant tables for 2.

The scars from such a roasting will be with you for life.

I think someone posted this week about not getting a requested table and the first response from Heald Nation was something like "You are an ungrateful "female dog"" and that got something like 500 likes and became the top comment in a day.

Many other similar comments followed. About 95% of them pretty rude and nasty.

I guess the lesson is, don't ask JH for anything, stick to asking the maitre D and hope for the best, but again, no guarantees.

There's 8 of us sailing on the Sunshine. We all had the 6pm dining but wanted to sit at the same table. I happened to call the 800 Carnival # about something else, but asked the rep if I wait to get in the ship to request a table for the 8 of us. She said she'd be more than happy to make that arrangement right now, as it'll be too crowded the 1st nite at dinner. I was really surprised as I had no idea Carnival did that. So you might wanna try calling now. Our sail date is April 8th BTW.

I called that number once. A gave up after an hour of holding.

I think someone posted this week about not getting a requested table and the first response from Heald Nation was something like "You are an ungrateful "female dog"" and that got something like 500 likes and became the top comment in a day.

I guess the lesson is, don't ask JH for anything, stick to asking the maitre D and hope for the best, but again, no guarantees.

You will get such responses on every public forum. It soothes the soul to bash others. It elevates feelings of self worth. "I am glad I am not like that sinner...." and all.

The greatest lesson I have learned from blogs is that there is no such thing as a best way. And the 2nd lesson is likened unto the 1st, there are trolls everywhere that feed off stirring things up.

That is why I am anonymous. I seek knowledge, not a bull's-eye. It is easier to ask while avoiding those that "are better" if no one knows who you are. I hate that fact. I would rather not hide. I would rather they bash an alias.

Edited by MaineBirdBrain

You will get such responses on every public forum. It soothes the soul to bash others. It elevates feelings of self worth. "I am glad I am not like that sinner...." and all.

The greatest lesson I have learned from blogs is that there is no such thing as a best way. And the 2nd lesson is likened unto the 1st, there are trolls everywhere that feed off stirring things up.

That is why I am anonymous. I seek knowledge, not a bull's-eye. It is easier to ask while avoiding those that "are better" if no one knows who you are. I hate that fact. I would rather not hide. I would rather they bash an alias.

that is why I don't post my first name, my email address, my cruise history, and no longer participate in roll calls. Intention and translation are two very different things these days. It is nice to know others understand.

Back on topic; one thought for OP; try to email icare@carnival.com with your booking number; that MIGHT help as well.

Ship abbreviations:

Breeze BR

Conquest CQ

Destiny DE

Dream DR

Ecstasy EC

Elation EL

Fantasy FA

Fascination FS

Freedom FD

Glory GL

Imagination IM

Inspiration IS

Legend LE

Liberty LI

Magic MC

Miracle MI

Paradise PA

Pride PR

Sensation SE

Spirit SP

Splendor SL

Sunshine SH

Triumph TI

Valor VA

Victory VI

They also asked for a table for two by the window, and private service so they could get back to watch a basketball game. As if their servers didn't have other tables to work with.

I no longer see carnival from my condo front porch :(

They also asked for a table for two by the window, and private service so they could get back to watch a basketball game. As if their servers didn't have other tables to work with.

I no longer see carnival from my condo front porch :(

What is private service? They asked for speedy service. Which many people do so they can make a show or other reasons. We had a baby with us and knew that time was ticking; we requested a table in the back out of the way so not to disturb others (they granted that) and we let the waiter know we'd like to be out in 60 to 75 minutes, about the limit for our infant in a restaurant. No problem. they handled it great. we were very happy.

What is private service? They asked for speedy service. Which many people do so they can make a show or other reasons. We had a baby with us and knew that time was ticking; we requested a table in the back out of the way so not to disturb others (they granted that) and we let the waiter know we'd like to be out in 60 to 75 minutes, about the limit for our infant in a restaurant. No problem. they handled it great. we were very happy.

Oh my! 60 to 75 minutes is a short time frame. I will go with the flow and learn. Just surprised by this number. It is what it is. I don't require special treatment in that regard. Just shocked.

Oh my! 60 to 75 minutes is a short time frame. I will go with the flow and learn. Just surprised by this number. It is what it is. I don't require special treatment in that regard. Just shocked.

Not really; we just ordered our apps and mains at the same time and let them know it was okay if everything came at once. When we got the mains we ordered desert. 60 to 75 minutes is not really that short. 45 minutes or less is short. They will speed up or slow down service as requested; it's not really special treatment.