Unwanted Change To A New Cabin

KSWind

I was just informed by MSC, by way of new boarding tickets and luggage tags, that I was moved from cabin 15030 to cabin 16024 on our Preziosa sailing next month. I know they can move you around but this one hurts. I was looking forward to having a square YC1 again. I'll give them a call later, raise some heck ,and see what they say.:mad:

I called the office in Munich (I think) and had a short and fruitless conversation with a young lady there. She said there was nothing she could do and that the changes come from the office in Italy. I'm not a yeller and she doesn't get paid enough to listen to me ranting so I let it go. For now.

I will express my thoughts while on board and on the post cruise survey and any other opportunity I get. Having been in the YC before I know I will get the Captain's ear at a meet and greet. I know he is not involved in this but when the lackeys who follow him around on these social gatherings overhear what I say I may get a reaction of some sort.

Having sailed only a few times with MSC I can't really say I am a regular but it looks like becoming a regular will not happen. I say this in regard to the loyalty program changes and the price hikes for children, etc.. I believe they are looking for new customers but I think it is a mistake for them to forget those that were there before.

UPDATE: I sent an Email and a form letter from the Web Site contact page to express my concerns. I did it in English as I cannot articulate myself with enough detail for this situation in German. We'll see what comes of this...

I called the office in Munich (I think) and had a short and fruitless conversation with a young lady there. She said there was nothing she could do and that the changes come from the office in Italy. I'm not a yeller and she doesn't get paid enough to listen to me ranting so I let it go. For now.

I will express my thoughts while on board and on the post cruise survey and any other opportunity I get. Having been in the YC before I know I will get the Captain's ear at a meet and greet. I know he is not involved in this but when the lackeys who follow him around on these social gatherings overhear what I say I may get a reaction of some sort.

Having sailed only a few times with MSC I can't really say I am a regular but it looks like becoming a regular will not happen. I say this in regard to the loyalty program changes and the price hikes for children, etc.. I believe they are looking for new customers but I think it is a mistake for them to forget those that were there before.

UPDATE: I sent an Email and a form letter from the Web Site contact page to express my concerns. I did it in English as I cannot articulate myself with enough detail for this situation in German. We'll see what comes of this...

Call again, see what the next person says.

I was just informed by MSC, by way of new boarding tickets and luggage tags, that I was moved from cabin 15030 to cabin 16024 on our Preziosa sailing next month. I know they can move you around but this one hurts. I was looking forward to having a square YC1 again. I'll give them a call later, raise some heck ,and see what they say.:mad:

Anytime you are booked in one of the square cabins, you stand the chance of getting bumped if a family of 4 or handicapped needs the extra space. We have been fortunate to snag one during the last 2 weeks before sailing when they released them. Good luck with corporate.

Anytime you are booked in one of the square cabins, you stand the chance of getting bumped if a family of 4 or handicapped needs the extra space. We have been fortunate to snag one during the last 2 weeks before sailing when they released them. Good luck with corporate.

But the original cabin is only for 3, and the cabin they are moved to is for 4...EM

Are there just 2 of you?

I've always been told if you are just 2 and book the larger square cabins there is a good possibility you would get bumped for a 3+ or handicapped booking. I don't like to get my hopes up so I just get the regular balcony in the YC. Anything in YC is alright with me.

I would say a handicapped or physically challenged person has booked and they need that cabin, hey your in YC it could be worse [emoji53].

Raise some heck? Really? [emoji849]

Anthony & Jenny, Melbourne Australia

Cruised MSC YC 7th June 2015, Mediterranean.

Booked MSC Meraviglia in YC 19/6/17

If anyone is interested below is the reply I got from my Email inquiry. I wrote back asking for an explanation again.

Dear Mr. "Raisin' Heck",

thank you very much for your message.

We are sorry to hear about your annoyance regarding the cabin number change. At the same time we would like to ask for your kind understanding that cabin numbers may be changed by the headquarter of the cruise company due to organizational reasons. This possibility of the cabin number change is also stated in the general terms and conditions. Such changes are being made by a department of the headquarter in Italy and we have no in-depth insight regarding the reasons of the changes in single cases. Out intention is to provide the best possible service to our guests, but changes like these cannot be avoided entirely, especially when the company has reserved a right for such a change in the general terms and conditions.

We still hope that you and your family will enjoy the cruise in spite of this inconvenience and we are looking forward to welcoming you on board soon.

With best regards,

Branko Zindovic

MSC Kreuzfahrten

Back Office Representative

If anyone is interested below is the reply I got from my Email inquiry. I wrote back asking for an explanation again.

Dear Mr. "Raisin' Heck",

We are sorry to hear about your annoyance regarding the cabin number change. At the same time we would like to ask for your kind understanding that cabin numbers may be changed by the headquarter of the cruise company due to organizational reasons. This possibility of the cabin number change is also stated in the general terms and conditions. Such changes are being made by a department of the headquarter in Italy and we have no in-depth insight regarding the reasons of the changes in single cases. Out intention is to provide the best possible service to our guests, but changes like these cannot be avoided entirely, especially when the company has reserved a right for such a change in the general terms and conditions.

We still hope that you and your family will enjoy the cruise in spite of this inconvenience and we are looking forward to welcoming you on board soon.

With best regards,

Branko Zindovic

MSC Kreuzfahrten

You received exactly the kind of response I would have expected you to receive. I doubt that MSC is going to give you the reason that you were moved.

Was all set for this cruise with an aft. Yesterday, I was given the reduced sale price of 25% off, no discussion of cabin change. Today I get the confirmation that I now have a port side B2 instead of the aft, both sleep 2. I called immediately and of course, our personal cruise consultant Never answers his phone. In a panic, I reached someone else because today is the last day we can cancel and we were going to do just that. The other very efficient cruise consultant answered her phone, and gave us back our original cabin immediately. Talk about putting out a big fire! Immediate confirmation was sent too. :D:

Edited by Fighterone

I also got bumped from a B1 nice corner jutting-out cabin (so, no cabin beside us) on Orchestra Deck 9, to a B3 Deck 12 cabin exactly across from the elevators and under the loud swimming pool.

I called three times and begged for our old cabin back. The rep lady was nice and even cc'd me on the request she emailed to her boss to change our cabin, to no avail. I even hinted at a medical condition that could be exasperated by noise. No luck. We're stuck with the crummy "upgrade". I don't get the complication of upgrading whoever got our cabin! We booked 8 months back and should have first pick!

Dear Mr. "Raisin' Heck",

With best regards,

Branko Zindovic

MSC Kreuzfahrten

They just don't care! So sorry to hear that they won't accommodate you. I am now deathly worried that they will change our cabin again! Seems like they are quite poorly organized since they had no reason to change ours as it was still available when I called to complain. :eek:

I also got bumped from a B1 nice corner jutting-out cabin (so, no cabin beside us) on Orchestra Deck 9, to a B3 Deck 12 cabin exactly across from the elevators and under the loud swimming pool.

I called three times and begged for our old cabin back. The rep lady was nice and even cc'd me on the request she emailed to her boss to change our cabin, to no avail. I even hinted at a medical condition that could be exasperated by noise. No luck. We're stuck with the crummy "upgrade". I don't get the complication of upgrading whoever got our cabin! We booked 8 months back and should have first pick!

Shame on them! You are leaving in 20 days so I guess there is not much chance of you getting a different stateroom. Keep us posted. I promise that if they do this to us, I will cancel! We have a nice aft right now, a C1 with an extended 96 square feet balcony. I am scared that they will switch us again.

I am curious what percentage of passengers are bumped to different rooms, and out of them, what percentage of people get crummy "upgrades". I suspect the richer passengers reject bad rooms and insist on better rooms. However instead of MSC upgrading us to the rejected cabins, why don't they upgrade people who book the inside cabins at the cheapest rates? Let THEM have the noisy cabins in undesirable locations!

I also wonder what percentage of passengers get unexpected cabins when they check in to the cruise. Has that happened to any of you?

I am curious what percentage of passengers are bumped to different rooms, and out of them, what percentage of people get crummy "upgrades". I suspect the richer passengers reject bad rooms and insist on better rooms. However instead of MSC upgrading us to the rejected cabins, why don't they upgrade people who book the inside cabins at the cheapest rates? Let THEM have the noisy cabins in undesirable locations!

I also wonder what percentage of passengers get unexpected cabins when they check in to the cruise. Has that happened to any of you?

I would think that if your richer you don't pick a room that could be upgraded - you pick the room you want with no deal.

I've only traveled in the YC on MSC so I'm not sure if they do what other cruise lines do where you pay for a room but the deal is that you could get an upgrade if available but you are at least guaranteed your initial catagory.

I really don't understand how they could move your room if you chose it without excepting the upgrade deal. The only other time I know they will change your room is if you choose the larger one in the YC and your only 2 but a party of 3+ needs a room you take the chance of getting a different YC cabin.

When you book make sure MSC make a note on the booking that you are not interested in an upgrade there is more chance you will be left alone, if you book via an agent make sure they get it done for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get the answer to my original question within seconds of asking at the YC concierge desk last week. Essentially I was bumped because they gave my original cabin to another family MSC decided to upgrade to a YC cabin (without the amenities). They do this when the YC is not fully booked and want to see if they can entice these folks to go YC in the future. They did it to us in April of 2014 and it worked. We were upgraded on our second cruise with MSC and have booked YC ever since. I can't imagine why the office in Munich didn't know of this practice or, if they knew of it, offer it as a possible explanation.

Anyway...last week's cruise was fantastic and we had a very good time. Service was the best yet.

I was able to get the answer to my original question within seconds of asking at the YC concierge desk last week. Essentially I was bumped because they gave my original cabin to another family MSC decided to upgrade to a YC cabin (without the amenities). They do this when the YC is not fully booked and want to see if they can entice these folks to go YC in the future. They did it to us in April of 2014 and it worked. We were upgraded on our second cruise with MSC and have booked YC ever since. I can't imagine why the office in Munich didn't know of this practice or, if they knew of it, offer it as a possible explanation.

Anyway...last week's cruise was fantastic and we had a very good time. Service was the best yet.

When you said that you were upgraded to YC without the amenities, what does this mean? No drinks included, mini bar or access to YC lounge, pool? Just curious.

When you said that you were upgraded to YC without the amenities, what does this mean? No drinks included, mini bar or access to YC lounge, pool? Just curious.

No drinks and no free mini bar. If I remember right everything else was included. Luckily I had the drinks package already.

No drinks and no free mini bar. If I remember right everything else was included. Luckily I had the drinks package already.

How do they know? When I'm in the YC they have NEVER asked for my card for drinks. I carry my card to get into my room or if I go out of the YC. If your in the area how would they know you were upgraded and your drinks are not included?

1. I always demand no updates on my booking

2. I never book handicap cabin

Yes, happen to my friends on Princess . All family got different cabins . They only discover it on embarkation :rolleyes: