Watch store (Citizen) onboard Zuiderdam?

Laurino

I'm wondering if the watch store onboard Zuiderdam (and generally) are operated by HAL or a contractor?

I'd like to get in contact with the store and check if they carry a specific watch model, the Citizen Satellite Wave F900 model #CC9015-71E or #CC9015-54E (even though I realize stocks can't be guaranteed). Is there an e-mail adress or phone # for the shop, HAL or contractor?

Or maybe someone on the boards have seen that watch on a recent cruise on Zuiderdam or another Vista or Signature ship? They should have similar stores.

I'll be sailing Zuiderdam in July. I'm interested in purchasing onboard, since it's tax and duty-free and you get Mariner days.

Edited by Laurino

I believe they are contractor operated. That said, from what I've seen the merchandise inventory carried on the ships seem to differ from one to another and may actually be HAL supplied.

You might try calling Holland America Ships Services and asking for contact information for the "Signature Shops Manager" for Zuiderdam and then asking whomever that is if they carry your specific item. I bought at watch on board Ryndam and received a authenticity and warranty card that was stamped with "Holland America RYNDAM Signature Shops Manager".

Hope this gets you started on your quest. :)

Edited by 0bnxshs

I'm wondering if the watch store onboard Zuiderdam (and generally) are operated by HAL or a contractor?

I'd like to get in contact with the store and check if they carry a specific watch model, the Citizen Satellite Wave F900 model #CC9015-71E or #CC9015-54E (even though I realize stocks can't be guaranteed). Is there an e-mail adress or phone # for the shop, HAL or contractor?

Or maybe someone on the boards have seen that watch on a recent cruise on Zuiderdam or another Vista or Signature ship? They should have similar stores.

I'll be sailing Zuiderdam in July. I'm interested in purchasing onboard, since it's tax and duty-free and you get Mariner days.

Most if not all services on ALL cruise lines are run by contractors. This includes stores, Medical, Spa, Shore Excursions and many specialty restaurants!

That said, from what we have seen and compared, I would bet that you cannot find "a deal" on Citizen watches on ANY ship, regardless of how much percentage off on the "SALE" the price tag says. Personal research and comparison with my wife's Citizen watch purchased at Costco.

After the sale when you are home Returns/Refunds for defective merchandise are not handled by HAL and the cruiseline is of no help if you have a problem. Any warranty is with a third party, not HAL. I don't know how much you are saving by buying on the ship, but buying local at home is a much safer choice if something goes wrong, IMHO. I speak from experience. :eek:

... I'd like to get ... a specific watch model, the Citizen Satellite Wave F900 model #CC9015-71E or #CC9015-54E ... I'm interested in purchasing onboard, since it's tax and duty-free and you get Mariner days.

If I were going to spend around $1,500 US on a watch (or really anything that I hope to use for any length of time), I certainly would not look to purchase it from an itinerant seller because of the warranty/service issues mentioned above. The possible tax/duties savings will not resolve those issues should they arise after your cruise.

Please note that the OP is from Sweden, and whatever the price, it might be a considerable saving for him. that said, I googled for that watch, and the closest I could find on any site was the CC9010-74A. EM

If I were going to spend around $1,500 US on a watch (or really anything that I hope to use for any length of time), I certainly would not look to purchase it from an itinerant seller because of the warranty/service issues mentioned above. The possible tax/duties savings will not resolve those issues should they arise after your cruise.

I had absolutely no problem having an issue resolved by the manufacturer of a watch I purchased on board that I saved several hundred dollars on even after paying the duty on it. The key is to be knowledgeable about what you are buying. The manufacturer's warranty is world-wide and any well known "brand" will honor their warranty. The seller of such a watch, unless you buy from a guy on a corner with watches hanging from the inside of an overcoat, really has little to do with the manufacturer honoring a warranty. I doubt that HAL or any other main stream cruise line knowingly deals with those who sell "knock-off" or "counterfeited" merchandise.

Edited by 0bnxshs

That said, from what we have seen and compared, I would bet that you cannot find "a deal" on Citizen watches on ANY ship, regardless of how much percentage off on the "SALE" the price tag says. Personal research and comparison with my wife's Citizen watch purchased at Costco.

Actually I already have two Citizen watches that I've purchased on previous HAL cruises. From what I've seen, the signature shops advertised 35% sale compared to msrp/list prices on land have been correct. Also prices in Europe and Sweden are higher than in the US (and Asia), which additionally increases the savings. Most stores on land sell with list prices, unless the model has been out a couple of years then they might discount, but it won't be 35%.

I had absolutely no problem having an issue resolved by the manufacturer of a watch I purchased on board that I saved several hundred dollars on even after paying the duty on it. The key is to be knowledgeable about what you are buying. The manufacturer's warranty is world-wide and any well known "brand" will honor their warranty. The seller of such a watch, unless you buy from a guy on a corner with watches hanging from the inside of an overcoat, really has little to do with the manufacturer honoring a warranty. I doubt that HAL or any other main stream cruise line knowingly deals with those who sell "knock-off" or "counterfeited" merchandise.

I agree, you do get a World-wide warranty and I don't think there will be any problems. But I haven't had any problems yet with my previous two Citizen watch purchases onboard, so I wouldn't know for certain what would happen. Btw I can't see the difference in buying onboard or buying in a land store for example in the US? I would be going home in either situation and couldn't visit the vendor anymore.

Thanks for the many replies!

Edited by Laurino

These watches were available on the Nieuw Amsterdam when we were on from Jan 24th to Feb 7th, 2016.

I suspect they will be available on the Zuiderdam as well.

These watches were available on the Nieuw Amsterdam when we were on from Jan 24th to Feb 7th, 2016.

I suspect they will be available on the Zuiderdam as well.

Thank you, that sounds promising! Do you know for sure it was that model? I don't think (I was looking for another model at that time) they had it on Eurodam in December.

I should've shown a picture from the start, it looks like this:

Skaumlrmavbild%202016-03-26%20kl.%2020.18.40_zpsmy0fwqt0.png

Edited by Laurino

That could be the one. I remember remarking that it would cost about $1200 after the discount. That was before I found out the MSRP was around $2200.

It's unfortunate that a couple of years ago they changed the discount from 40% to 35%. Deals aren't as good as they used to be.

That could be the one. I remember remarking that it would cost about $1200 after the discount. That was before I found out the MSRP was around $2200.

It's unfortunate that a couple of years ago they changed the discount from 40% to 35%. Deals aren't as good as they used to be.

Ok great, thank you. That msrp seems about right, compared to what I've seen online. I've also tried e-mailing HAL, will see what happens.

With non-refundable OBC, anything's a deal. ;)

My DH has purchased two Citizen Eco-Drive watches on ships and has been very satisfied.

Just doing a follow-up. I e-mailed HAL through their website. I was very impressed by the handling and reply of my question. The e-mail was directed to shipboard services who forwarded it to the shop's assistant manager trainee. Apparently (from the e-mail signature) the shops are run by a company called "Starboard Cruise Services". However they didn't have the model I was interested in, they only had the stainless steel satellite model #CC3005 -85E (which I saw onboard Eurodam in December) not the titanium models. The manager also offered to check with the main office if they could get the correct model, which was impressing, but I declined since I'm checking with other shops as well and it felt a bit too much.

So overall very impressing customer service by HAL. Slightly disappointing they didn't have the model in regular stock, but not surprising since I haven't seen it onboard previously and maybe it's more difficult to sell since it's much more expensive than the usual quartz/Citizen line up. And now we know who runs the shops onboard.

Just doing a follow-up. I e-mailed HAL through their website. I was very impressed by the handling and reply of my question. The e-mail was directed to shipboard services who forwarded it to the shop's assistant manager trainee. Apparently (from the e-mail signature) the shops are run by a company called "Starboard Cruise Services". However they didn't have the model I was interested in, they only had the stainless steel satellite model #CC3005 -85E (which I saw onboard Eurodam in December) not the titanium models. The manager also offered to check with the main office if they could get the correct model, which was impressing, but I declined since I'm checking with other shops as well and it felt a bit too much.

So overall very impressing customer service by HAL. Slightly disappointing they didn't have the model in regular stock, but not surprising since I haven't seen it onboard previously and maybe it's more difficult to sell since it's much more expensive than the usual quartz/Citizen line up. And now we know who runs the shops onboard.

Thanks, Laurino, for the follow-up. I am pleasantly, though slightly, surprised your inquiry received the attention it did. :)

Edited by 0bnxshs