Noro Virus. Queen Elizabeth. 30th March 2016

slhw

Have just received an email from Cunard to say that there have been an increased number of cases of Noro Virus aboard and additional precautions are in place. Also, not to arrive to embark until 2 hours later than on our e tickets. In our case, this now means 5.30pm. Does anyone already on board have any information. Also, does anyone boarding with us know if the pick ups from the hotels will also be later. Thankyou. Sandie.

Have just received an email from Cunard to say that there have been an increased number of cases of Noro Virus aboard and additional precautions are in place. Also, not to arrive to embark until 2 hours later than on our e tickets. In our case, this now means 5.30pm. Does anyone already on board have any information. Also, does anyone boarding with us know if the pick ups from the hotels will also be later. Thankyou. Sandie.

Yes, I received that message also, but I am booked on QV, whose embarkation date is Tuesday 29 March. The email message has no reference to either the voyage number (V603 in my case) or which ship (QE or QV), which would have helped clarify things. The message mentions an embark date of Wednesday 30 March which is for QE.

Edited by tangoll
Added last sentence.

Hi,

We're QE on 30th so presumably it's meant for us. Mainly, I'm curious about hotel transfer times as don't mind having a little extra time in Hong Kong.

Sandie

Yes, I received that message also, but I am booked on QV, whose embarkation date is Tuesday 29 March. The email message has no reference to either the voyage number (V603 in my case) or which ship (QE or QV), which would have helped clarify things. The message mentions an embark date of Wednesday 30 March which is for QE.
I have reading a blog of a Passenger that is onboard the Q,V & in it he reports a outbreak of a Severe Flu type Virus that hits you twice the 1st lasts for about 5 days & when you think that its over it hits you again for a couple of days, So it appears that they intend to Deep clean the Ship before they let you on. Edited by zider

The following is quoted from Cunard's Facebook page:

"Embarkation for guests joining Queen Elizabeth in Hong Kong on Wednesday March 30 will begin slightly later than scheduled. Please arrive two hours later than the arrival time published on your E-ticket. We thank you for your understanding of this matter and look forward to welcoming you on board."

The following is quoted from Cunard's Facebook page:

"Embarkation for guests joining Queen Elizabeth in Hong Kong on Wednesday March 30 will begin slightly later than scheduled. Please arrive two hours later than the arrival time published on your E-ticket. We thank you for your understanding of this matter and look forward to welcoming you on board."

Thank you Salacia. Your quote confirms that the received message refers to QE and not QV. It's too bad the Cunard message does not specifically refer to either the voyage number or to QE. I guess it's expecting a bit much of a medical director to draft up a message that's unambiguous, or to have it delivered to the proper recipients (of which I am not one.)

Edited by tangoll
Add last line.

for those getting on off in Hong Kong, please be aware that there is construction at the terminal and when I was on QE when we docked there on the 10th March, it took a long time for those getting on and off. If you do not want to wait around I would advise to get there later.

Chez

Thanks everyone. Just got up, off to Heathrow later on. It sounds to me also that they are having a deep clean. Bit poor, to say the least, not specifying which ship. As to arrival time, we're in the hands of the transfer people anyway. Oh well, here we go.........!

Sandie

New are on board at the moment and have been on lockdown 2 days after Yokohama. The captain is making an announcement every day updating people whether there are more outbreaks but it seems fairly stable at the moment. The lido has cling film in front of all food and staff serve you and the same with drinks. You are advised to use your cabin toilet rather than public ones.

There is no alternative lido dining at the moment so the Verandah is always full. Other than those changes, we really haven't noticed too much difference.

We disembark in HK so are expecting to be a little late off, but the late boarding me be to assist them doing a deep clean.

New are on board at the moment and have been on lockdown 2 days after Yokohama. The captain is making an announcement every day updating people whether there are more outbreaks but it seems fairly stable at the moment. The lido has cling film in front of all food and staff serve you and the same with drinks. You are advised to use your cabin toilet rather than public ones.

There is no alternative lido dining at the moment so the Verandah is always full. Other than those changes, we really haven't noticed too much difference.

We disembark in HK so are expecting to be a little late off, but the late boarding me be to assist them doing a deep clean.

I was on QE 10 - 20 March, got off in Yokohama, and a day before Yokohama, I did notice a number of people on board, especially at Lido, with deep, hacking coughs. It's best not to shake hands with other people, and especially true like at the Captain's cocktail parties, or when you first meet your new dining companions in Britannia Restaurant, etc. And at group dance classes, if you practice with a new partner, wash your hands after the lesson.

I have reading a blog of a Passenger that is onboard the Q,V & in it he reports a outbreak of a Severe Flu type Virus that hits you twice the 1st lasts for about 5 days & when you think that its over it hits you again for a couple of days, So it appears that they intend to Deep clean the Ship before they let you on.

I wonder if that is the same blog as I look at now and again?

Certainly different.

I wonder if that is the same blog as I look at now and again?

Certainly different.

Yes it is the same Blog, Considering that its the 1st time that he has done a Blog he is doing well, Its also the 1st time that he has sailed with Cunard & he picked a Complete World Cruise to do it shows that he has Wisdom.

Good luck, hope all is well.

According to The Standard (HK):

"Passengers and crew on the cruise ship Queen Elizabeth that berthed in Hong Kong yesterday morning then left last night were on course for full recoveries after being hit by norovirus.

There were 134 passengers and 16 crew aged 17 to 95 who fell victim to the virus that hit the ship this month, and five remained in the ship's sick bay.

Twenty-seven were being kept in isolation as a precautionary measure.

According to the Department of Health, those affected were stable and did not require hospital care..." copied from http://www.thestandard.com.hk/section-news.php?id=167838

Another interesting report from the same newspaper (partial quote):

"About 17,000 international tourists arrived in Hong Kong yesterday when three cruise ships berthed here on a four- month world voyage.

For the first time, British luxury cruise line Cunard brought together to Hong Kong its fleet of cruise ships Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth which berthed at Kai Tak Cruise Terminal and Ocean Terminal yesterday and today..."

quoted from http://www.thestandard.com.hk/section-news.php?id=167756

I was on QE 10 - 20 March, got off in Yokohama, and a day before Yokohama, I did notice a number of people on board, especially at Lido, with deep, hacking coughs. It's best not to shake hands with other people, and especially true like at the Captain's cocktail parties, or when you first meet your new dining companions in Britannia Restaurant, etc. And at group dance classes, if you practice with a new partner, wash your hands after the lesson.

I was also on the ship we got off in Osaka I could not believe the number of people who were coughing into their hands and then there were the ones you were licking their fingers and then going back and adding more food to their plates after viewing this we did not eat in the Lido, and people wonder how they get sick.

We were on board QE from the 22nd March until the 31st March. We boarded in Osaka, according to the Captains announcement on our 1st day at sea, the virus had been bought on board in Tokyo. The ship was on code red for the whole 8 days that we were on board which did lead to longer waiting times in the Lido. Fortunately we did not contract the virus, I think this was due to very strict hand hygiene on our part. No touching of lift buttons, hand rails, only using cabin bathroom and very careful hand washing and hand sanitisation for the whole trip. Over 1000 passengers got off in Hong Kong, we were told that the ship would be having a deep sanitisation whilst she was in port. Hopefully all ok on board now.

Yes it is the same Blog, Considering that its the 1st time that he has done a Blog he is doing well, Its also the 1st time that he has sailed with Cunard & he picked a Complete World Cruise to do it shows that he has Wisdom.

Well I guess that depends on how one views it. What I would say though is Cunard have obviously been a remarkable influence on the transition in style of the guys writing.

Just a shame that, unlike MaggieMou's blogs, there are no photographs.

We were on board QE from the 22nd March until the 31st March. We boarded in Osaka, according to the Captains announcement on our 1st day at sea, the virus had been bought on board in Tokyo. The ship was on code red for the whole 8 days that we were on board which did lead to longer waiting times in the Lido. Fortunately we did not contract the virus, I think this was due to very strict hand hygiene on our part. No touching of lift buttons, hand rails, only using cabin bathroom and very careful hand washing and hand sanitisation for the whole trip. Over 1000 passengers got off in Hong Kong, we were told that the ship would be having a deep sanitisation whilst she was in port. Hopefully all ok on board now.

"I think this was due to very strict hand hygiene on our part".

Very true and I couldn't agree more. Where there is a will there's a way.

"I think this was due to very strict hand hygiene on our part".

Very true and I couldn't agree more. Where there is a will there's a way.

Hand washing is no doubt an admiral practice embraced by most on a regular basis. However, it should not be construed that hand washing will ensure that we will not succumb to a virus. And it would be terribly wrong to suggest that those who were infected by an intestinal virus (or any virus, for that matter) were infected simply because of a lack of hygiene.

"Where there's a will there's a way"?...well, have all the will you want, and then inhale a virus...

Edited by Salacia

Salacia I was not suggesting this at all, I was merely stating that I believe that this helped. Why do you think the Captain makes announcements to wash your hands for at least 20 seconds in warm water and to use the Hand Gel at every opportunity. Also to only use your stateroom bathroom, no hand shakes and no touching of hand rails, lift buttons etc.

It depends on the virus, I agree if we are talking about the common cold or flu then washing your hands is going to do little to stop the spread of the virus, its airborne when you sneeze or cough.

However, a GI virus is completely different, its spread by being ingested i.e.it can be on contaminated food, contaminated plates or utensils or on your hands and then ingested when you eat food. Cunard put every control measure in place to stop food being contaminated with the virus, gloves for staff, no self service buffet, all utensils only given out by staff and even cling film all around the food stations in the Lido. They then relied on all the passengers and staff to stop the spread of the virus by taking the necessary precautions as detailed in the Captains daily address to the ship.

Noro virus can't be inhaled, It has to be ingested by swallowing, as well of course by hand to mouth. Many public toilets in new builds now have door less access which must help. Possibly the next Cunarder?

David.

Noro virus can't be inhaled, It has to be ingested by swallowing, as well of course by hand to mouth. Many public toilets in new builds now have door less access which must help. Possibly the next Cunarder?

David.

Thank you David. I knew I was on the right track.

Hand washing is no doubt an admiral practice embraced by most on a regular basis. However, it should not be construed that hand washing will ensure that we will not succumb to a virus. And it would be terribly wrong to suggest that those who were infected by an intestinal virus (or any virus, for that matter) were infected simply because of a lack of hygiene.

"Where there's a will there's a way"?...well, have all the will you want, and then inhale a virus...

Fortunately at the level of cruising I do being on the receiving end of someone's vomit as demonstrated in your link is akin to my ticket winning the national lottery this evening.

I'll just continue with the personal hygiene practices that have been my benchmark for the last 50 years and have served me well for in excess of 58 cruises.