If we have to cruise round-trip from Seattle . . .

lmintzer

OP, I have not looked at all of the ships' itineraries that have been suggested. If this helps, I have cruised Hubbard Glacier twice and Glacier Bay once. Unlike most posters on CC, who have a strong preference for Glacier Bay, I think Hubbard Glacier is equally - though differently - magnificent. Perhaps that thought will make more of the options appealing to you. Best wishes whatever you decide.

Vicki

Thanks, Vicki. I appreciate your opinion, and that is good to know. Feels like there is more a chace of "going right" than "going wrong" with this trip. Lots of variations on a theme (which is beautiful Alaska). I am getting myself all worried when really I will probably be happy with whatever we choose.

Celebrity has adjacent balcony cabins that can be made into one cabin. The Solstice has a door that closes and the inner doors open to make one large cabin wire two balconies and two bar rooms.

Thanks. I just think that probably booking two cabins for the 3 of us will prove to be too expensive as much as I would would love for the boys to have their own space and just have an adjoining room--that would be ideal.

This trip report from a 2014 HAL cruise includes info on the room set up for a family of 4. No photos. Unfortunately they ran into rough seas in/out of Seattle but you might enjoy the rest of their report since the kids were 14 and 16.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2060765&page=2

The trip reports are a great resource....some include photos of the cabins, public areas, even the meals, plus info on activities, excursions, etc

OP, I have not looked at all of the ships' itineraries that have been suggested. If this helps, I have cruised Hubbard Glacier twice and Glacier Bay once. Unlike most posters on CC, who have a strong preference for Glacier Bay, I think Hubbard Glacier is equally - though differently - magnificent. Perhaps that thought will make more of the options appealing to you. Best wishes whatever you decide.

Vicki

The problem with Hubbard glacier is that many people haven't gotten very close in the past few years. We missed it entirely (9 miles away) and others have posted only getting 6-8 miles from it.

Glacier Bay is a sure thing. Hubbard Glacier is great if you do get close.

The problem with Hubbard glacier is that many people haven't gotten very close in the past few years. We missed it entirely (9 miles away) and others have posted only getting 6-8 miles from it.

Glacier Bay is a sure thing. Hubbard Glacier is great if you do get close.

We have done three stops at Hubbard Glacier in the last 6 years . We only made it within 2 miles only once out of the three times.

With the current climate cycle , a lot of snow falls at the source causing more snowfall. As a result the face melts faster due to higher lower levels causing more ice around the face.

Well, of course you want the best! LOL. Looking at those times, I would actually choose NCL, but ONLY because the time in Ketchikan is longer and that's where I go salmon fishing. :D If it weren't for that, I would choose Princess for the extra time in Juneau. I'm sure you'll enjoy which ever you choose!

________

So, update: talked to my travel agent who is encouraging Celebrity. But she didn't really think that much of my desire to see Glacier Bay--she just was focused on the food being better and what she thinks is a better kids/teen program (my 12 and 15-year-olds would be able to go together, which might be beneficial). Frankly, I don't know how much my boys are going to want to attend these programs. My older son would love the rock wall and anything active (soccer, basketball, etc.) on the Norwegian Pearl and my younger son would get a kick out of the rock climbing and the bowling (which I know costs extra). Also, Celebrity does not have a mini-suite option. The two adjoining balcony cabins are just too expensive for us (as much as I would prefer a separate room for them). So I think I am taking that off the list.

It's back to Norwegian Pearl vs Crown Princess. I think Norwegian has the slight edge in fun, on-board activities that the kids would like (maybe?). Norwegian seems fun, casual (a benefit for us--I am already an overpacker without needing dressy clothes). Princess may have the edge on food (unless you pay for the more upscale on Norwegian?). Princess has more time in Juneau (a few more hours) which could be a big deal, right? If we wanted to do some kind of an excursion to a glacier by helicopter and then something after?

Help--not sure what to do. Maybe we can't really go wrong? Is there somewhere where I can read up on what "freestyle dining" really means? It sounds like we have to make all the reservations on the first day for the various restaurants as opposed to being seated in the same dining room on Princess each night? I am not clear on which dining concept will be easier. If anyone can comment specifically on the pros and cons for these two ships and their concepts, that would be great!

________

So, update: talked to my travel agent who is encouraging Celebrity. But she didn't really think that much of my desire to see Glacier Bay--she just was focused on the food being better and what she thinks is a better kids/teen program (my 12 and 15-year-olds would be able to go together, which might be beneficial). Frankly, I don't know how much my boys are going to want to attend these programs. My older son would love the rock wall and anything active (soccer, basketball, etc.) on the Norwegian Pearl and my younger son would get a kick out of the rock climbing and the bowling (which I know costs extra). Also, Celebrity does not have a mini-suite option. The two adjoining balcony cabins are just too expensive for us (as much as I would prefer a separate room for them). So I think I am taking that off the list.

It's back to Norwegian Pearl vs Crown Princess. I think Norwegian has the slight edge in fun, on-board activities that the kids would like (maybe?). Norwegian seems fun, casual (a benefit for us--I am already an overpacker without needing dressy clothes). Princess may have the edge on food (unless you pay for the more upscale on Norwegian?). Princess has more time in Juneau (a few more hours) which could be a big deal, right? If we wanted to do some kind of an excursion to a glacier by helicopter and then something after?

Help--not sure what to do. Maybe we can't really go wrong? Is there somewhere where I can read up on what "freestyle dining" really means? It sounds like we have to make all the reservations on the first day for the various restaurants as opposed to being seated in the same dining room on Princess each night? I am not clear on which dining concept will be easier. If anyone can comment specifically on the pros and cons for these two ships and their concepts, that would be great!

No matter which one you decide on. You'll be have a good cruise. Currently only RCI has ships with climbing wall in Alaska. Celebrity and Princess don't have climbing walls.

Edited by Kamloops50

________

Keep in mind that most travel agents will encourage you to cruise on whichever line provides the biggest commission. I really don't think you can wrong with either option. The mainstream lines are all more alike than different.

Freestyle dining simply means you don't have to dress up and you don't have assigned seating (you don't have to eat at the same time in the same dining room every night). If you want to eat in any of the specialty restaurants, it's a good idea to make your reservations before you board--the reservation window opens up 90 to 100 days before sailing (depending on whether you're in a suite). If there are only four of you, then you should be able to go to the MDRs (main dining rooms) on NCL and be seated. At peak dinner times, you may have to wait a few minutes, but it shouldn't be long with that small of a party.

The age of your kids, they'll likely find others their own ages and not participate in the organized kids' activities (if there even are any at that age!). There will be plenty for them to do--as you pointed out there's bowling and rock climbing wall and there's also a volleyball/basketball court. My kids have never been bored on a cruise ship and they've cruised from before 2 years old through their teens.

Whichever you decided, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Keep in mind that most travel agents will encourage you to cruise on whichever line provides the biggest commission. I really don't think you can wrong with either option. The mainstream lines are all more alike than different.

Freestyle dining simply means you don't have to dress up and you don't have assigned seating (you don't have to eat at the same time in the same dining room every night). If you want to eat in any of the specialty restaurants, it's a good idea to make your reservations before you board--the reservation window opens up 90 to 100 days before sailing (depending on whether you're in a suite). If there are only four of you, then you should be able to go to the MDRs (main dining rooms) on NCL and be seated. At peak dinner times, you may have to wait a few minutes, but it shouldn't be long with that small of a party.

The age of your kids, they'll likely find others their own ages and not participate in the organized kids' activities (if there even are any at that age!). There will be plenty for them to do--as you pointed out there's bowling and rock climbing wall and there's also a volleyball/basketball court. My kids have never been bored on a cruise ship and they've cruised from before 2 years old through their teens.

Whichever you decided, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

There actually will be 6 of us . . . would that be a problem?

Honestly, this has one of the worst itineraries in Alaska. I would not advise anyone sail the Explorer unless they don't plan on getting off the ship. Though, staying on the ship doesn't give much viewing options either.

Wow...a bit harsh... :eek:...Do you have personal experience ?

I personally prefer RCI...but the one way northbound is what we usually sail. We also recently did a roundtrip out of Vancouver...very happy with our choice....I wouldn't care for Seattle but that's what the OP is going to do.

As far as the RCI Explorer goes...it's a great ship and they have a 9 night that looks amazing...but not in my timeframe that season.

Wow...a bit harsh... :eek:...Do you have personal experience ?

I personally prefer RCI...but the one way northbound is what we usually sail. We also recently did a roundtrip out of Vancouver...very happy with our choice....I wouldn't care for Seattle but that's what the OP is going to do.

As far as the RCI Explorer goes...it's a great ship and they have a 9 night that looks amazing...but not in my timeframe that season.

I have cruised to Alaska many times and my Radiance cruise was my weakest cruise. They had no enrichment programs what so ever on the cruise (unless you count talking about Diamonds International) or speakers on board. I honestly thought they did a poor job in Alaska. I have been on Explorer of the Seas but not in Alaska. So I do have "personal experience".

But that is not why I wrote this. Look at the itinerary for Alaska out of Seattle. They may do a one off for 9 days but that is not their norm.

It goes to Tracy Arm which can often be missed. It only visits Juneau and Skagway and doesn't hit a 3rd port like most cruise lines (either Ketchikan or Sitka). The time in Juneau is not the best. It does spend more time in Victoria but that is NOT Alaska. It is a very weak itinerary. I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise.

If someone is ONLY interested in the ship and not Alaska, this is the cruise for them. If they want Alaska - this is pretty weak. I thought Disney's was weak but this beats Disney for worst itinerary.

Edited by Coral

There actually will be 6 of us . . . would that be a problem?

We were 6, and the only "problem" was getting everyone to want to eat at the same time! :rolleyes: But that's what makes Freestyle great--our youngest were 10 & 13 at sailing, and they could just walk into the buffet and get what they wanted, when they wanted it, or some of us could eat Italian and others go for sushi...

I don't have experience on other lines, but I found the Pearl to be exceedingly family-friendly.

You mention the concern for the port time in Juneau--we had plenty of time for self-guided touring to Mt. Roberts and Mendenhall (though in retrospect might have spent less time hiking up on the mountain and saved the time to hike to the waterfall at Mendenhall instead...), with stops at the fish ladder and Alaskan Brewing in between. Ultimately it's up to you...

Update: well, after all of that deliberation, my brother's need to travel in July made the decision. Crown Princess did not have the staterooms we need for the last week in July, so we put deposits down on the Pearl.

It seems that many in our party are happy with the idea of casual dress and not having to pack extra clothing. Hopefully, it will be a fun ship and a good experience for all. I am a little worried about lines for food, but we did book with the Dash sale's dining promotion, so that means 3 nights in the specialty restaurants (I will have to pay for one of my two kids each of those times as it only covers 2 per stateroom).

I was a little disappointed to find that when we tried to book the UBP, that our travel agent said we they added a surcharge of $99/person. I could see that for me, but for my kids (who could only drink the sodas)--that is ridiculous. I don't think I want to be paying $300 for the privilege of drinking. That would be an awful lot of drinks just for me to break even.

Wondering if we should go with the 250 minute internet package--not a lot of minutes for the 3 of us, but the daily package is expensive!

I am thinking to skip the shore excursion credit of $50/stateroom/port, as we will likely not be booking through the ship.

Thoughts?

So hope we made a good decision. The total was $5730 for the 3 of us--and that, of course, is without airfare, hotel in Seattle, transfers, or any excursions. I think we have $140 ship onboard credit--have to double check that that went through. But it still is going to be an expensive trip--hope we'll be thrilled with it.

Congratulations! I'll bet it feels good to have a date and ship chosen. :)

I think you may have misunderstood about "lines for food." I have never ever waited in a line for food on NCL. If you arrive at the MDR and they're unable to seat you immediately, you'll be given a little pager that vibrates and you're free to roam around for a few minutes, take a seat, people watch, get a drink, whatever... You may encounter lines in the buffet, but it's a buffet and the lines move quickly. You don't need to stress over lines for food! :D

The "surcharge" on the drinks package (UDP) is actually the gratuities for the bar staff. You're charged 18% of the package price as if you purchased it outright. That won't apply to anyone under 21, so you won't be charged that for your children. Anyone under 21 who is eligible for the perk as 2nd guest will get the soda package and the gratuities for that are just a few dollars. With drinks running $9ish to $15ish each, if you drink just a couple a day, the drink package is good deal.

Alaska is an amazing cruise destination. It's expensive, but IMHO it's worth a dime! :D

Now comes the really fun part: planning!! It's second only to the actual vacation!

Enjoy!

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

Update: well, after all of that deliberation, my brother's need to travel in July made the decision. Crown Princess did not have the staterooms we need for the last week in July, so we put deposits down on the Pearl.

It seems that many in our party are happy with the idea of casual dress and not having to pack extra clothing. Hopefully, it will be a fun ship and a good experience for all. I am a little worried about lines for food, but we did book with the Dash sale's dining promotion, so that means 3 nights in the specialty restaurants (I will have to pay for one of my two kids each of those times as it only covers 2 per stateroom).

I was a little disappointed to find that when we tried to book the UBP, that our travel agent said we they added a surcharge of $99/person. I could see that for me, but for my kids (who could only drink the sodas)--that is ridiculous. I don't think I want to be paying $300 for the privilege of drinking. That would be an awful lot of drinks just for me to break even.

Wondering if we should go with the 250 minute internet package--not a lot of minutes for the 3 of us, but the daily package is expensive!

I am thinking to skip the shore excursion credit of $50/stateroom/port, as we will likely not be booking through the ship.

Thoughts?

So hope we made a good decision. The total was $5730 for the 3 of us--and that, of course, is without airfare, hotel in Seattle, transfers, or any excursions. I think we have $140 ship onboard credit--have to double check that that went through. But it still is going to be an expensive trip--hope we'll be thrilled with it.

Congrats on booking!!!!

We, DW and 6yo DD, just booked a mini-suite on the Pearl for late June a little over 2 weeks ago for our first time in Alaska. Originally we had booked the specialty dining (4 nights) and the $50 per port sure excursion. On the day of final payment I noticed they were offering the OBC of $140 for mini-suites. When I went to make the payment I had it changed and kept the dining (but lost one night which isn't a big deal) and changed from the $50 per port to the internet package but got the OBC which IMO pretty much makes up for the $50 port excursion I lost. In Ketchikan I booked an excursion on my own and saved $150 from what NCL wanted and IMO the excursions in Victoria would not exactly wow a 6yo, especially not getting their until 6p. So over all that special didn't seem to be worth it to us.

Don't forget to book your dining 90 days out and you can also book the main dining rooms as well. If there is a line when you get there go to the desk and let them know you have a reservation.

My plan will be to compliment the 250 min free internet with our cell phones data plan when we can, such as in port. I figure in port we will use our cell phones to post to facebook, check e-mails etc. On board if we have a cell signal (not NCL's) we may ever use our phone as a hot spot if needed. It's the 6yo I'm worried about as she likes to stream videos etc :)

Also be sure to check the West Coast departures and Alaska boards here if you haven't already done so.

Remember in the end it's all what you make of it. As others have said, in Alaska it's all about the ports and not so much the ship.

Edited by jimsig

I

In my ideal world, I'd pick: route with the most time viewing glaciers, good times in ports, clean/nice/bigg(er) cabins, good food, nice, helpful staff, and no nickel and diming. It is a bit discouraging to think how little of this I might get.

The Regent luxury cruises seem like they avoid some of these problems, but they are quite expensive and I don't know how much they would be appropriate for my kids. To me, 700 people sounds a heck of a lot better than the larger groups, and the appeal of the true all-inclusive is a strong one. Still, probably not the best idea for my family.

Any receommendations based on what I have shared with you about which way to go? Are others discouraged by the many negative reviews: ships looking shabby, food like a bad Vegas buffet, lackluster staff, nickel and diming? Boy oh boy--please tell me that this is somewhat overblown and that this could still be a great experience.

TIA!

I hope the choice that you made works out for you. Feel good with the time frame cabin limitation being your choice factor & go with it.

Edited by TheCalicoCat

Congratulations! It sounds like an excellent choice. The Pearl gets good reviews, and with that onboard credit, your kids will be able to participate in a few more of those fun onboard activities without breaking the bank.

• 1 year later...

Hi there OP lmintzer,

I just read this thread from a year ago and you sound exactly like me!! We're also doing roundtrip to Alaska out of either Seattle or Vancouver and trying to decide between NCL and Princess. We have 6 ppl, 3 generations including 11 and 13 yo kids. I'm leaning toward NCL because of the Freestyle dining and because NCL seems to be able to meet everyone's needs. It looks from later posts that you liked NCL. Between the two NCL itineraries, one goes to Glacier Bay and the other goes Inside Passage. Is Glacier Bay really worth it? I feel inclined to go on the other itinerary that does Inside Passage because I'm worried about seasickness coming out of Seattle. I would appreciate your opinions after having done it! Thanks in advance!