Harvest Caye...if our ship makes it there, what IS it?

terri910

From what I can gather, it is a kind of private island that NCL will own or have exclusivity to....We are booked on the NCL Jade's Nov. 13, 2016 sailing, and so far, we are hearing that it will call into Harvest Caye for our Belize port.

But, we have never been on a cruise where the ship docks at a private island. What does that mean, exactly? Will we be able to disembark the ship and walk onto this.....this....well, what looks like a fabulous resort-style place with beaches and pools and cabanas, etc., etc.?

Or, do you have to pay a ship's short excursion price to DO anything (like sit on the beach or swim in the pool, etc.)?

It looks a bit too good to be true to have all that waiting for us by just walking off the ship, and not have to pay the ship for an excursion (which, at their prices, I figure is a major source of income for them).

If you have been to a similar stop, can you give a gal the 4-1-1?

Will ALL ports of call to Belize now go to this location? We are booked on a Panama Canal cruise in March of 2017 and Belize is one port of call. Since we have visited there before - we were hoping we would go to this new location? Our ports of call still just list Belize City - if anyone has inside information on this please let us know. I called NCL and the rep had no idea if our port of call to Belize City would be changed or not? She just said maybe - who knows? Sometimes cruises get inside information while cruising that the reps are not even aware of - sometimes this information is correct, and then again sometimes, just a rumor.

Harvest Cay is NCL's second private island that was supposed to open in February but it was announced that it will have a six month (I believe that was the right time quoted) delay in opening. We are hoping it is done as we are sailing in late November. All ships with that port of call are now stoping in Belize city until it opens.

As with their other private island, which I visited in December, it's supposed to be a private getaway and you will not pay any extra port excursion unless you decide to partake in any that they offer. It would be something like parasailing, snorkel equipment rental, cabana or sun shade rental, or maybe a fishing excursion if they have anything like that to offer. There should be a food station for lunch which is included just as if you were on the ship. Usually burgers, grilled chicken, salads etc. Soda, beer, liquor etc.. charged to your account just as if you are onboard. If you have the Beverage package it works too. The only thing we could not charge to our account was souvenirs which were staffed by locals that commuted to the island on days that ships called.

We especially love private island ports because there is no transportation to deal with besides a tender boat. Beautiful beaches, life guards, music and even the cruise director staff will have activities planned right when you step on the island. I would not waste any time scheduling an excursion if they have them, but enjoy the beach with a drink in hand.

I hope this helps.

The opening of this port has been delayed and supposedly the new date is 11/2016. Rumor is food is a la carte and your beverage package will not work here either. Who knows if lounge chairs will have a charge either. Most private islands on other cruise lines have free buffets and your drink package also works on the private island. When I booked Getaway for our family cruise(about a year ago) I envisioned it to be the same as other private islands. Now it sounds like more nickel and dime. If this is the case we'll probably get off the ship for a few hours to enjoy the beach (providing they don't charge to use the beach too) and then get back on the ship for lunch and drinks. Very disappointed in the direction NCL is headed.

Well, I hope it is as SuperMommy describes it, and I hope it IS open by the time we cruise. Although it will be the first time in Belize for some of our friends booked on the same cruise, we have been to Belize before. We enjoyed our shore excursion at that time (Shark/Ray alley), but I would just as soon chill out on the beach, now!

• 6 months later...

Hi all -

my wife and i will be cruising on 'the dawn' ship in November 2016...cant wait! VERY limited info regarding this island. some of this information is covered on this site however;

- can't use drinks package on this island

- don't know how much stuff (food, drinks) cost on island

- thinking about taking Belizan dollars

Overall information is VERY VERY limited for this island...so please share and care any new information you may come across

Cheers

UBP is unlimited beverage plan. Margaritville will be on Harvest Caye. Great Stirrup is a private island, that you tender to. Harvest you'll be docked. GSC is just like being on the ship. Food is free, but only available for a couple hours.and UBP works there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I called NCL last week to ask if UBP and/or SDP could be used on Harvest Key. The NCL rep told me no on both. We can't use either one. I said I thought it was private island owned by NCL. She said no..it's a private port and all vendors are private contractors. Wth?

OK. i am confused

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/travel/cruises/article66539687.html

We tender to Harvest Caye...how far is Great Stirrup ?

What is GSC?

You do NOT tender to Harvest Caye. GSC is Great Stirrup Caye. This can't be the first time you're seeing these abbreviations....

Okay people are getting confused here - hindocha I hope this helps.

Great Stirrup Caye (GSC) is a private island owned by NCL. It's in the bahamas. On the island there is a free buffet and you can use your UBP or soda package to obtain free drinks just like on the ship. Use of the loungers and beach etc is free, but you can hire cabanas and shades. There is also a selection of excursions you can pay for such as snorkeling. GSC doesn't have a dock, you have to tender to it.

Harvest Caye is the new island being developed by ncl near Belize. First of all it was assumed it would be very similar to GSC, but very confused info is being given by ncl. Some people are being told you can use your UBP, some that you cant. Some that there will be a free buffet, some that all food is chargeable. There will be a Margaritaville restaurant and you can bet they will charge for it, even if there is a separate free buffet. Other facilities on the island include a huge pool with swim up bar and beach. As far as we know these are free activities. There is again a range of excursions available, imcluding zip lining and lots of water sports, as well as cabanas for hire. It will have a dock so no need to tender.

Until Harvest Caye opens I don't think we will know for sure about the UBP and food as the messages are so mixed. It's supposed to open in November.

Edited by SquishTheWhale

Yeah NCL is a much less accurate source of information than Cruise Critic :p there is a thread on here called 'anything new on harvest caye' that has some good pics if you want a better idea of what it will be like (including pics of the dock under construction!)

Edited by SquishTheWhale

The big difference is that GHC is NOT a private island (Like GSC is) It is a private DOCK for NCL. That is why there are large differences in what is free on GSC and isn't on the new GHC. There are lots of private vendors on the new island, it isn't just NCL folks there.

The big difference is that GHC is NOT a private island (Like GSC is) It is a private DOCK for NCL. That is why there are large differences in what is free on GSC and isn't on the new GHC. There are lots of private vendors on the new island, it isn't just NCL folks there.

Perfect description. Dock vs island. :)