MLU --> SJU February 2017

maeormaenot

I have never booked a flight.

I am curious as to the best way to go about this. I've read the stickys, and researched. I'm just kinda lost!

I was looking at Carnivals Fly 2 the Fun, hoping someone will chime in on my other post in regards to that.

Could someone give me a short version of the ins and outs of this!

Thank y'all!!!

Do the research on one of the sites that covers everyone, or at least most every one, like ITA matrix, or Expedia. If you have time to watch prices for awhile- a month or more- to get the idea what is a reasonable price is. Note I didn't say "lowest price". People obsess over the lowest price, and are frequently asking "if I wait a little longer....will the price go down?" There is no real answer to that...no one can possibly predict.

Select the date, time, routing and price that suits you, and book. Then don't look back. We book through the website for the airline we use- takes out the middleman, which is helpful if changes or problems arise.

I am seeing $611 on several carriers for your flights (picked the day before your sailing, and a random day for your return). The routing is convoluted...

Edited by CruiserBruce

Yes the routing is crazy! You would think they would save money not going from here to Chicago to new Jersey to Atlanta and then San Juan!!!

Thank you! That is pretty much what I have been doing. Just making sure I am on the right track!

Yes, I believe you are on the right track. If you are willing to drive a bit, even getting to a slightly bigger place like Jackson or Shreveport may provide savings, but make sure to factor in the cost of driving and the cost of your time too.

Yes the routing is crazy! You would think they would save money not going from here to Chicago to new Jersey to Atlanta and then San Juan!!!

You might be the only person from MLU going to San Juan that entire week, so you need to fly to join the already existing system, which is built for system wide efficiency. The system will not come to you, per se.

I am thinking- no definitive knowledge- that MLU is not a heavily served airport.

Edited by CruiserBruce

You might be the only person from MLU going to San Juan that entire week, so you need to fly to join the already existing system, which is built for system wide efficiency. The system will not come to you, per se.

I am thinking- no definitive knowledge- that MLU is not a heavily served airport.

Indeed, MLU is only served by three airlines to three cities, but I am not sure how many frequencies per day. Certainly not a big market by any means, which often demands and justifies a higher price.

Drive to Shreveport and go from there. I actually had to look up where MLU is and you will have much better options from Shreveport. You can do it with one stop on AA (DFW) or UA (IAH). Probably Delta as well I just don't have a DL app on my phone to check it.