Any reason to be the first to board?

packman1029

Hey,

Leaving out of Seattle on the Pearl in June for our 2nd Alaska cruise. My DW and I booked an inside room on the 10th deck.

There is no VIBE on the Pearl, so no rush to get to the ship early on that account. We DO already have Spa passes though.

The reason I ask is because we depart SEA at 4pm local time, and we fly in the day before. neither of us have ever been to Seattle before and we were wanting to maximize our time in the city...... so?

Is there anything I am forgetting about by not boarding as early as possible?

Just make sure that where ever you are, you head to the ship with a decent amount of time to spare. It is best to have no delays and be on the ship early than to run into traffic, detours, and any other delays and miss the ship. Enjoy your stay in the emerald city!

Depending on where your hotel is, it could take more time than you would think to get to the Bell Street Terminal.

Summer weekends are prime time for highway construction projects, to say nothing of community events clogging streets.

Have a great cruise and enjoy a very special city.

Yeah we are staying just west of Pike place market. Actually it is between the pier and Pike place, so it doesn't look like it would be more than a mile or two taxi to get to the pier.

does anyone have any experience on riding the light rail from the airport to downtown?

Yeah we are staying just west of Pike place market. Actually it is between the pier and Pike place, so it doesn't look like it would be more than a mile or two taxi to get to the pier.

does anyone have any experience on riding the light rail from the airport to downtown?

Yes, we did it in June, 2014. It was extremely easy. You buy tickets right at the airport to take the light rail downtown and on you do the opposite on the way back. I'm sure if you go to their website, there are instructions to follow.

I believe that it what I did and I also search under the destination city here on the CC website and found out additional information.

From what you are saying, you would have to walk uphill from the end of the light rail to your hotel. I would just grab a cab at the airport and come on in.

The Bell Street Terminal is Pier 66 at the bottom of Bell Street on Alaskan Way.

There is currently a ton of construction going on in that area of Seattle. Do give yourself time to get there from your hotel. I also highly recommend a taxi or uber because.. HILLS. So many hills here.

Uber here, btw, is cheaper than cabs during certain times of day.

The light rail from Seatac is nice and easy. But once again, depending on where your hotel is, I'd recommend private transportation unless you do not mind lugging your luggage around the streets of Seattle.

I like to board early. Personal preference. Lunch in Cagney's, unpack and relax. My friend on the other hand likes to waltz on late. She says never any lines. She always chooses a hotel close to the port. I forget which city, but once she literally walked out of her hotel, crossed the street, and walked onto the ship. She says that method relaxes her.

Different strokes.

Edited by DMH15

There is currently a ton of construction going on in that area of Seattle. Do give yourself time to get there from your hotel. I also highly recommend a taxi or uber because.. HILLS. So many hills here.

Uber here, btw, is cheaper than cabs during certain times of day.

The light rail from Seatac is nice and easy. But once again, depending on where your hotel is, I'd recommend private transportation unless you do not mind lugging your luggage around the streets of Seattle.

Yeah we are about 3 blocks from the llight rail stop, so I'll grab an uber etc, from the light rail to hotel, and then from hotel to port.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice folks.

Best embarkation we ever had was in Seattle!

Stayed at a hotel on 3rd ave at Bell.

Walked right down Bell and into the terminal.

Stayed there after the cruise also but cabbed it back.

No way was I walking back up that hill dragging luggage!

Yeah we are about 3 blocks from the llight rail stop, so I'll grab an uber etc, from the light rail to hotel, and then from hotel to port.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice folks.

If you are about 3 blocks from the light rail, I'd just walk there from the light rail station. That area should be fine without having to worry about hills. It'll be faster than waiting on an uber.

Definitely DO take the uber from hotel to port though.

Hey,

Leaving out of Seattle on the Pearl in June for our 2nd Alaska cruise. My DW and I booked an inside room on the 10th deck.

There is no VIBE on the Pearl, so no rush to get to the ship early on that account. We DO already have Spa passes though.

The reason I ask is because we depart SEA at 4pm local time, and we fly in the day before. neither of us have ever been to Seattle before and we were wanting to maximize our time in the city...... so?

Is there anything I am forgetting about by not boarding as early as possible?

There is absolutely no reason in the world for you to worry about boarding early. Spend your time enjoying Seattle and don't worry about what other people say, other than to make sure that you are there no later than the time specified on the NCL FAQ page.

Personally I would head to the ship around 1:00 p.m. which should get you there in plenty of time, and you can probably get a 1:00 p.m. checkput from your hotel which avoids the necessity of doing something with your bags.

If you are traveling light then taking the Link Light Rail is no problem from SeaTac to downtown Seattle. Keep in mind that from SeaTac Baggage Claim to the Light Rail Terminal is approximately a 1/4 mile walk. The closest stop is underneath Nordstroms with an escalator and elevator available to reach the street. Not sure where you are staying but keep in mind that there are several areas where less than desirable people hang out along Pike Street.

If you decide to walk to the cruise terminal, there is a foot bridge you can use to avoid walking down hills, crossing over Alaskan Way and into the Pier 66 Terminal.

Walking the Seattle Waterfront is a must....along with paying a visit to the Pike Market. If you are really into Starbucks, the original Starbucks is right across the street from Pike Market.

Just a suggestion if time permits. My son and I took the public ferry over to Bainbridge Island on Friday evening. We came in a day early also.

We had dinner over there. It was a nice atmosphere. There were some street performers, etc.

But the best part was the ferry ride over and back. Great views of the skyline, cruise terminal, etc. And it was a very inexpensive way to sight see. The ferry terminal is very easy to locate. Very close to the port terminal downtown. Super easy in and out.

My wife and I have been guest 1 and 2 aboard. I mean, I heard security jump on the radio to say "first guest now aboard" as we stepped from the gangway onto the ship.

We still smile about that.

I would have LOVED this!!😀