New gratuities by May 1st, 2016

I agree that people have different viewpoints, but I disagree that the ones who have different viewpoints than you are jerks.

For a very long time, I paid gratuities without question, and advised others to do the same, so it's not like I can't see the other side. But I disagree with Royal's new policy of auto grats that include 'other housekeeping services' etc, so my choice is to tip the way I choose to.

I also find it difficult to view this as a simple matter when so many people are now eating in specialty restaurants, some every night. It does complicate the matter of 'tipping'.

The thing I find most interesting is people fighting each other to get someone else to pay more. Royal must absolutely love this. Their OWN SYSTEM makes tipping optional. So there is really no reason to get annoyed at anyone for their choice. If it wasn't working very well, Royal would change their system.

I agree with you 100%,could not have said it better.:) :) ;)

It's more a service charge than a gratuity, in my opinion. At least that's what it feels like. I wish the lines that do this would just include it in the posted cost of the cruise. They are just like the airlines in that regard. Post artificially low fares and then have add-ons. Just give me the bottom line. Lol [/rant]

You say Royal artificially post low fares then have add on.And you are OK with this.You can't control fares,but you can control AUTO GRATUITY.And we do tip the people that serve us.But we control the amount,and when it will be raised.

Edited by caribbean sailor