New gratuities by May 1st, 2016

According to the FAQs the suggested gratuities raise by May 1st by 0.55 USD:

12.95 -> 13.50 (regular cabins)

15.95 -> 16.50 (suites)

Deadline for paying the old gratuties in advance is April 14th.

steamboats

Thanks for the update...Did this happen last year or so??? I remember paying in advance for a change in gratuities when I booked the Harmony in 2014.

It's more a service charge than a gratuity, in my opinion. At least that's what it feels like. I wish the lines that do this would just include it in the posted cost of the cruise. They are just like the airlines in that regard. Post artificially low fares and then have add-ons. Just give me the bottom line. Lol [/rant]

Thanks for the update...Did this happen last year or so??? I remember paying in advance for a change in gratuities when I booked the Harmony in 2014.

Last increase was June 1, 2015, so less than a year this time.

Interesting. I have a cruise that departs on April 26th so it will not be in force yet. Having said that, I was on with RCCL a couple of days ago and the rep asked me about prepaying gratuities. I said that I was planning to pay them on board unless they are going up or the sort. While mine will not go up I would think that would have been a good opportunity to educate me about the new charges.

I wonder if the bartenders are also getting a raise, oh I mean increase in gratuities.

I would bet this is all for dining staff, stateroom attendants and helpers, and company pockets.

I would bet this is all for dining staff, stateroom attendants and helpers, and company pockets.

I am getting a bit tired of RCI telling me how much I'm going to tip. I always say I'm going to stop handing out extra on top of the auto tips but so far I keep right on doing it. Maybe I should start worrying about my own pockets just as RCI takes care of theirs.

We had heard about the increase last summer and were surprised it took this long.

Well actually we heard a lot of rumors last summer on Oasis and I think this is the first one to happen.

Thanks for sharing.

Safe travels.

I have never had a problem paying daily gratuities/service charge, and will consider to do so, and also tip extra.

However, judging by the number of posts from people on these boards who choose to remove their tips, perhaps we are in actuality paying extra because of them.

It is time RC stopped allowing removal of gratuities without reason and even if service was suspect it should be reported and corrected and not used as an excuse.

I just posted a comment on another thread where a passenger reported removing gratuities and paying $15 per person for the week. This is just not appropriate, nor fair to other people who take the service charge/tips seriously and do the right thing.

It's also time to use the phrase service charge.

they already get 18% of the tab :eek:

Heck, our last cruise on Oasis I bought a glass and the guy got 18% for picking it up and handing it to me. He didn't even pack it in anything to make sure it would survive the trip home.:rolleyes:

We had heard about the increase last summer and were surprised it took this long.

Well actually we heard a lot of rumors last summer on Oasis and I think this is the first one to happen.

Thanks for sharing.

Safe travels.

Interesting that they would be talking about a gratuity increase right after they had one on June 1.

I have never had a problem paying daily gratuities/service charge, and will consider to do so, and also tip extra.

However, judging by the number of posts from people on these boards who choose to remove their tips, perhaps we are in actuality paying extra because of them.

It is time RC stopped allowing removal of gratuities without reason and even if service was suspect it should be reported and corrected and not used as an excuse.

I just posted a comment on another thread where a passenger reported removing gratuities and paying $15 per person for the week. This is just not appropriate, nor fair to other people who take the service charge/tips seriously and do the right thing.

How is it that everything has to somehow be the fault of the passengers?:rolleyes:

Heck, our last cruise on Oasis I bought a glass and the guy got 18% for picking it up and handing it to me. He didn't even pack it in anything to make sure it would survive the trip home.:rolleyes:

I believe it :rolleyes:

Most do deserve the 18%, others, well not so much :mad:

I saw that post about the $15. I had to contain myself from commenting on it. ;) What I would like to ask you however...what does "high" post count have to do with raising the gratuities? :confused:

Last raise was June/July 2015 (June 1st for prepaid gratuities, July 1st for onboard paid gratuities).

FAQs also give an answer to the question who participates:

* Dining & Culinary services 8.30 USD

* Stateroom Attendant 3.85 USD, Suite Attendant 6.85 USD

* other housekeeping staff 1.35 USD

steamboats

Last raise was June/July 2015 (June 1st for prepaid gratuities, July 1st for onboard paid gratuities).

FAQs also give an answer to the question who participates:

* Dining & Culinary services 8.30 USD

* Stateroom Attendant 3.85 USD, Suite Attendant 6.85 USD

* other housekeeping staff 1.35 USD

steamboats

Thanks once again for the distribution.

Thanks for the info. I think I will call and pay the gratuities ahead for my May 5th cruise. I do not begrudge the staff the increase but I do dislike booking cruises under one understanding and have that changed without notice. I will let it ride on the others that I have booked....

According to the FAQs the suggested gratuities raise by May 1st by 0.55 USD:

12.95 -> 13.50 (regular cabins)

15.95 -> 16.50 (suites)

Deadline for paying the old gratuties in advance is April 14th.

steamboats

I am waiting on the Northeast Anthems dates being released week of April 4th. So if I pre-pay my gratuities I will be able to get the lower rate ?