New gratuities by May 1st, 2016

I guess I am one of the last hold outs who pre pay gratuities when I book the cruise because I never have any intention of ever removing gratuities. I just believe what is split among all who gets a cut from what I pay don't amount to a whole lot anyway to base it on the logic of if they did a good job or not! I give extra at the end of the cruise in cash if I really had a pleasant experience and exemplary service from my room attendant and waiters. I am also one who tips they bartenders even though the 18% has already been added, especially if they have been mixing me some good drinks. :cool:

???:confused: post # 100

He quoted Paulette who did not use that term.

How true......when I think of all the food service people around the ship that may serve me something for which I don't tip them, I could get upset. The staff at Cafe Promenade or Latte-tudes for my evening, afternoon or mid morning snack. The staff member that keeps the frozen yogurt machine filled, so that when I want it, it is there to have.

I just can't get overly upset by this....actually it won't affect my decision about cruising at all. Perhaps some who are angry should consider another vacation type.

How true......when I think of all the food service people around the ship that may serve me something for which I don't tip them, I could get upset. The staff at Cafe Promenade or Latte-tudes for my evening, afternoon or mid morning snack. The staff member that keeps the frozen yogurt machine filled, so that when I want it, it is there to have.

I just can't get overly upset by this....actually it won't affect my decision about cruising at all. Perhaps some who are angry should consider another vacation type.

It was my understanding that those people ARE covered under the portion that is for "dining and culinary services"...

I'm not trying to argue with the CC Police, but it could be they added "arm and a leg" as their own thought about it; without it referring to the quote.

Most people on a cruise don't consider $.55/day to be a lot. Maybe that's what they were referring to with the, sort of, euphemism.

It is kind of slowly creeping up, but so are so many other costs these days for just about everything.

My opinion... if someone *is* bothered by the $.55/day increase they could easily adjust they post cruise tips or remove the gratuities altogether and pay whatever they please. There seem to be options.

Tom

He quoted Paulette who did not use that term.

I guess I am one of the last hold outs who pre pay gratuities when I book the cruise because I never have any intention of ever removing gratuities. I just believe what is split among all who gets a cut from what I pay don't amount to a whole lot anyway to base it on the logic of if they did a good job or not! I give extra at the end of the cruise in cash if I really had a pleasant experience and exemplary service from my room attendant and waiters. I am also one who tips they bartenders even though the 18% has already been added, especially if they have been mixing me some good drinks. :cool:

I prepay and have no intention of removing them UNLESS there is an issue which I bring to the right people's attention that continues to be an issue with no sign of correction. I would just rather have as much of my vacation paid for in advance as possible. IF and only if someone really blows my socks off will they get extra - and I will admit my standards are set pretty high to begin with, so if someone earns extra they have really gone above and beyond. And that includes the bar staff - 18% is what they will get unless they wow me in some way. So far only one bartender on the Disney Fantasy has earned extra from me - you see me coming and have my specialty coffee ready for me - or at least in progress - at the coffee place OR you go above and beyond to have a blinking light cube in a glass of Merlot for me, you earned extra.

I do not have a problem with tipping but I do have a problem with $13.50 per day. I will be adjusting mine to an amount that I feel is appropriate based on the service at the end of the cruise. I am not a fan of automatic tipping. I believe that a tip is earned, not for just doing your job. Royal is responsible for paying the crew a decent wage for doing their job. They make enough money to do so. Again, I don't have a problem with tipping and have only removed them 1 time, and just for the Room Steward because he was not doing a good job and this was after speaking with several people to try to resolve the issue.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

Now I'm confused :eek::eek::eek:

Me too.....but 'it isn't an arm and a leg' so there. Now I feel compelled to help all of you out.

I know people will say "gee, they increased the auto tips, just last year". I also realize that people save up for cruises and it isn't easy to save the money for the trip....I consider myself fortunate that I just put it into the overall cost. If I could cruise more I would, be golly work gets in the way.

It was my understanding that those people ARE covered under the portion that is for "dining and culinary services"...

YES, I fully understand that....but if people only tip their respective waiter and assistant and remove the automatic tips....some people under the 'dining and culinary services' are left out.

As I cruised more and more, I have gotten a better appreciation for all that does get done to make my cruise as good as it can be.

In the same vein as if you don't like tipping you should stop cruising, if the staff ever feels like they are not being compensated for their job they will find another way to make a their living. When cruise lines have trouble staffing their ships cruise lines will have to adjust their pay scale. It's the same supply and demand argument all over again about price increases over cabin, drinks, specialty meals...

So for the time being, I give extra tips to the people who perform a service for me in a satisfactory or above satisfactory level.

It amazes me how much people defend the auto gratuities on this forum. I guess it's out of the goodness of their heart? But if you do not realize that a cruise line can pay their employees % less and have auto gratuities make up the rest you are drastically misinformed.

I don't really mind the auto tipping.. I pay it early, one more thing paid..

I havent really thought about the tipping added to the beverage package, as we've not purchased them before. Are bar staff not in on the pooled tips? If so, what is the reasoning for the added gratuity? Just curious about the reasoning?

Just got the email.

Dear

We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon for your upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise vacation!

As you prepare to set sail, we wanted to notify you of an update to our daily service charges. As of May 1, 2016, Royal Caribbean will be adjusting the automatic daily service charge from $12.95 to $13.50 per day for regular staterooms and $15.95 to $16.50 per day for suites. This service charge is shared by dining & culinary services personnel, stateroom attendants and other housekeeping and guest services personnel.

We want to extend the opportunity to prepay your service charge now at the current rate, before it adjusts on April 14, 2016. After this date, any service charge applied will be at the new rate.

Other onboard gratuity policies remain the same: an 18% gratuity is automatically added to bar service beverages, specialty dining reservations, spa services and mini bar items, and will be itemized on your receipt.

Call 1-866-562-7625, log onto RoyalCaribbean.com or contact your travel agent by April 13, 2016, to prepay the daily service charge at the current rate.

Thank you for choosing to cruise with us.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International®

If paying autotips bothers you so much, why not go on a cruise line where tipping isn't required, such as Regent or Azamara? That way you can abide by your principles and not punish the workers who have no control over their employer's policies.

If worrying what other people pay in tips bothers you so much.Why don't you tip more.That way the workers won't be punish.Maybe Royal will see what you have done and pay them more.:D :eek:

Seriously. The outrage over $0.55! Divided amongst the staff servicing you each day, they each get a whole nickel! I'm not understanding the argument that RCI is "stealing" their money by adding gratuities--that the poster then removes without any problem from RCI! Expat, surely you haven't been out of the US for so long that you forgot standard American tipping practices. At $13.50 per day, we're certainly paying far less than the American standard of 20% of the value of the food--especially also including the room cleaning in that total. If they did away with the service charge and instead upped the price of the cruise by $13.50 pp/pd to make up the difference, I have no doubt the arguments of RCI stealing from the poor customer would be ratcheted off the charts because then it really wouldn't be optional.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I liken this more to the BK slogan, "Have it your way!" ... you want an all-inclusive, pay nothing "extra"? Book a Star Class suite. Everything's roped in. You don't drink? Don't book a Star Class suite so you're not paying for the drinks. Want to control your own tips? Don't book Star Class suite so you have the option.

To the previous poster's point, are you happier paying $1,650 for a cruise and they just include the gratuities but don't tell you that so your righteousness on behalf of the poor workers remain -- Or $1,500 + $150 pre-paid for that more all-inclusive feel?

I don't get it. Maybe it's because at the hotel you don't get to know your maid or whatnot so don't have the personal connection -- and they don't have the opportunity to tell you about how they don't see their family for months at a time and how poorly paid they are, thereby you feeling indignant about their treatment and want to pay them more?

Mostly incoherent rambling on my part so apologies for that, but if people are so upset by the notion then why cruise at all? Why feed in to the machine that's causing so much personal angst for their workers?

Just got the email.

Dear

We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon for your upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise vacation!

As you prepare to set sail, we wanted to notify you of an update to our daily service charges. As of May 1, 2016, Royal Caribbean will be adjusting the automatic daily service charge from $12.95 to $13.50 per day for regular staterooms and $15.95 to $16.50 per day for suites. This service charge is shared by dining & culinary services personnel, stateroom attendants and other housekeeping and guest services personnel.

We want to extend the opportunity to prepay your service charge now at the current rate, before it adjusts on April 14, 2016. After this date, any service charge applied will be at the new rate.

Other onboard gratuity policies remain the same: an 18% gratuity is automatically added to bar service beverages, specialty dining reservations, spa services and mini bar items, and will be itemized on your receipt.

Call 1-866-562-7625, log onto RoyalCaribbean.com or contact your travel agent by April 13, 2016, to prepay the daily service charge at the current rate.

Thank you for choosing to cruise with us.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International®

Me too. I am glad that they sent that out to everyone.

I have not gotten an email and I have a cruise booked far enough out that will see the increased gratuity. I have not gotten an email from RCCL announcing this new policy. The only way I found out about it is that I am active on Cruise Critic right now.

So, while it is posted it is not very well publicized. A courtesy email to RCCL Crown and Anchor Members and/or those who have a cruise reserved prior to announcing the new policy is appropriate. I don't have an issue paying gratuity or what I signed up for, but, I don't like things changing after the fact.

I received an email from Royal this afternoon informing me of the increase and how I could pay for my upcoming cruise at the current rate if I pre-pay. I am cruising next on Empress on 5/5 -- though I suppose I could also pre-pay for my TA next October. Though, I doubt that I will. I do think these 2 increases are a little close together - however, we aren't talking about a ton of money here and the vast majority of the crew do a fantastic job. The few times that we've run across sub-par service, we talk to someone in charge and it gets fixed.

Mike