New gratuities by May 1st, 2016

If worrying what other people pay in tips bothers you so much.Why don't you tip more.That way the workers won't be punish.Maybe Royal will see what you have done and pay them more.:D :eek:

I'm not worrying about anyone else. I was just pointing out that the poster said autotipping was against his/her principles. It that's the case why go on a line that has autotipping?

As far as Royal paying more and possibly doing away with autotipping, the higher salary will just be passed to the cruisers in the form of higher cruise fairs. Basically you either pay the tips or pay more for the cruise, one way or another the passengers will be the ones paying.

The ratings directly affect how many guests (and therefore how much gratuity they get) the dining staff are assigned. I don't know how the ratings affect the stateroom attendants.

Well, I if they are getting stiffed as much as people make them out to be waiters might prefer less tables and less guests. No sense in working more tables if you are making nothing either way. I suspect the stiffing is nowhere near what some around here like to make it out to be.

As far as Royal paying more and possibly doing away with autotipping, the higher salary will just be passed to the cruisers in the form of higher cruise fairs. Basically you either pay the tips or pay more for the cruise, one way or another the passengers will be the ones paying.

Customers or passengers in the cruise line industry, in one way or another, pay for everything a business does. A business can do one of a few things to handle their overhead and reap profits: 'get more customers' or increase cost/raise prices or cut services.

We hear all the time about the disappointment cruisers have with reduced services. Since a ship has a finite number of cabins, there is a limit to what they can do per sailing as to the # of customers on board. Last is increase costs or overall raise prices. But in the end, the customer pays -- it is that way in ANY industry.

Yes, a company COULD have less profits on their books and in so doing keep fares/costs down/lower -- I don't know of too many companies, especially public ones with stockholders, that do that.

I added the tips to my booking to be paid at final payments.

Is that called pre pay?

Yes.

So ,let me gt this straight...if I add the tips now and final payment is not till,say August,it stays the old amount,right?? I know that's how it has been in the past and one just never knows their current thinking......:rolleyes:

So ,let me gt this straight...if I add the tips now and final payment is not till,say August,it stays the old amount,right?? I know that's how it has been in the past and one just never knows their current thinking......:rolleyes:

No. I believe that you need to pay them now--not just add them--or it will go up.

I'm on my phone and trying to copy/paste the passage from the email but instead it's copying the embedded url (which is just going to Cruise Planner, so edited a second time to remove). It says basically we're giving you the opportunity to prepay at the current rate before April 14; after that you will be billed the new rate.

Edited by Bound4Bermuda

Well, I if they are getting stiffed as much as people make them out to be waiters might prefer less tables and less guests. No sense in working more tables if you are making nothing either way. I suspect the stiffing is nowhere near what some around here like to make it out to be.

Good ratings also give opportunities for promotion - if an assistant waiter wants to become a waiter or a waiter wants to be a head waiter, as examples they would need good ratings. Also if they want to keep their job good ratings are required. For many a job, even with less gratuities some weeks is better than no job if they have a family to feed.

That's the way I understand it, but as always with Royal, who knows what will really happen.

Ok,I called the DP desk @ C&A...........they are NOT sure yet how it is to interpreted..They are working on it and trying to get answers.They should know in a day or two.But she thinks it is probably like the past(just add them on before and pay at final),but couldn't say for sure.I'll call back Friday,if no one else has heard for sure by then..

Let me get this straight. They have openly and clearly announced a price increase. It's not hidden, it's not deceptive, it's right there. And people are whining about it like spoiled children.

Here's a suggestion: Look for a cruise in which you are interested. Price it out. I don't care if they call it a gratuity, a service charge or just a cheapskate recovery fee. If the total cost is worth it to you, book it and enjoy your vacation. If it's not, shut up, stop crying like a child and move on.

Problem solved!;)

The Irish site still lists gratuities as $12 per day, and 15% per drink, so it is hidden, and it is deceptive. And no, they don't charge the Irish passengers any less. So here's a suggestion - pay people proper wages and include it up front in the price of the cruise. Don't make the staff depend on the whims of passengers to find out how much they'll get paid this week.

http://www.royalcaribbean.ie/frequently-asked-questions/

What are Service Charges/Gratuities?

Gratuities/Service Charge

On all our ships, it is customary to offer tips to staff members for their good service and personal attention. You can pre-pay your service charge as part of your booking and this will be shared among Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and Other Housekeeping Services Personnel. Beginning with all sailings commencing after 1st March 2013, if you have not pre-paid your tips/service charges, for your convenience, we will automatically add a $12.00 per guest per day* service charge to each guest's SeaPass account on a daily basis. Please note, we no longer provide vouchers for you to present to the staff at the end of the cruise to show you have paid your gratuities, but staff will be aware on the last evening which guests have already paid. A 15% gratuity is also automatically added to beverages, mini bar, spa & salon purchases on board. *For Grand Suites and above the daily charge is $14.25.

Ok,I called the DP desk @ C&A...........they are NOT sure yet how it is to interpreted..They are working on it and trying to get answers.They should know in a day or two.But she thinks it is probably like the past(just add them on before and pay at final),but couldn't say for sure.I'll call back Friday,if no one else has heard for sure by then..

Thanks Kathy.

I've been told that if the gratuities become part of the fare, and paid to crew as part of their wages, they will be taxed in their home countries on the total. By receiving the gratuities as gratuities they are not taxed on them.

When I look at the fare for a cruise, I add the gratuities fit the total. Same thing as having them lumped in. It's not like we're blindsided on the ship with them. So what's the big deal about calling them gratuities?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've been told that if the gratuities become part of the fare, and paid to crew as part of their wages, they will be taxed in their home countries on the total. By receiving the gratuities as gratuities they are not taxed on them.

When I look at the fare for a cruise, I add the gratuities fit the total. Same thing as having them lumped in. It's not like we're blindsided on the ship with them. So what's the big deal about calling them gratuities?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The real reason that the crew are paid in wage and DSC (and not all crew are in the DSC pool) is not for tax reasons, the company could care less about the crew's individual tax burden. It is used as a "team building" incentive, where one member's poor performance affects the entire team. Peer pressure costs less than disciplinary action from above. It also takes the onus of reducing someone's pay for poor performance, from the company to the guest. Further, it keeps the advertised cabin fare lower.

The crew employment contract explicitly states the breakdown between wage and DSC income, and this contract is known to the hiring agencies in the home country, and hence to the taxation officials. What is generally done, however, is that the base wage is required (by the hiring agency) to be sent to the home country every month, while the DSC and overtime pay can be credited to the crew member's onboard account for purchases or cash withdrawals.

Edited by chengkp75

"According to the line, the new increase puts Royal Caribbean "in line with its competitors in the industry . . . "

Actually, Royal Caribbean is NOT in line w/ the competitors. HAL charges $13.50 for Suites (Effective Dec. 1, 2015). And last year, Princess charged close to the amount for their Suites that we pay for non-Suites.