New gratuities by May 1st, 2016

Has anyone has their opinions changed one way or the other?

Best question on the thread. Answer? No, I still don't care. I only read these threads for the entertainment and they never disappoint. I pay what I feel is a fair price for the cruise. Sometimes I prepay grats and sometimes I don't and I almost always over tip in the bars and restaurants. It's my money and I'll spend how I want. I don't care what others do but it sure is funny reading others argue about. :D

An extra $5.00 per 10 day cruise - why are people so outraged? That amount covers so many different people. Everything goes ups in price that we buy. Don't forget that you tip in "real" life for everyone from your hairdresser or barber to the Starbucks coffee girl. If you can afford a 10 day cruise you can afford another $5.00 . Your porter probably got that for handling your luggage. I have not noticed that staff is less "motivated" or "service-oriented".

You're like a boiling frog. "Tips" for my family of 5 for a 10 day cruise in a 'regular' room would be $675. It's not about the $5. It's about what they call it and how they distribute it.

Edited by marci22

Best question on the thread. Answer? No, I still don't care. I only read these threads for the entertainment and they never disappoint. I pay what I feel is a fair price for the cruise. Sometimes I prepay grats and sometimes I don't and I almost always over tip in the bars and restaurants. It's my money and I'll spend how I want. I don't care what others do but it sure is funny reading others argue about. :D

I agree with 'it's my money and I'll spend it how I want'. If everyone understood this, no use for tipping arguments.

Royal will have to do what they have to do. Apparently there are still enough people paying the auto grats that it is still 'optional'.

I don't have a paid job, I do voluntary work , neither salary or tips. My husband works 72hours a week . Our cruise is a luxury and we have a small budget. If it's a choice of tipping or a few well earned treats like speciality dining or an excursion, well....

I just went ahead and prepaid my gratuities yesterday and saved the few bucks I would have had to pay extra in late May when we cruise. We will pass the savings on to our Jr. Suite Steward in cash during the week to show our appreciation.

I just went ahead and prepaid my gratuities yesterday and saved the few bucks I would have had to pay extra in late May when we cruise. We will pass the savings on to our Jr. Suite Steward in cash during the week to show our appreciation.

You really did not save anything because only a suggested amount. You can pay the old rate, new rate, any rate in between, or pay nothing. It always has been your choice and still is.

You really did not save anything because only a suggested amount. You can pay the old rate, new rate, any rate in between, or pay nothing. It always has been your choice and still is.

I would never consider opting out of the gratuities. So I did save a little change by prepaying my gratuities at the old rare instead of paying daily on the ship at the new rate.

Edited by Ryansdaddy
Missspell

I would never consider opting out of the gratuities. So I did save a little change by prepaying my gratuities at the old rare instead of paying daily on the ship at the new rate.

Pay no attention. He's just trolling and the concept is completely lost on him. ;)

Again you saved nothing because you could have wanted until the cruise and paid exactly the same thing. These are not required payments or charges. Like the guy who is so happy he gets a big tax refund check at the end of the year.... The only thing he did was overpay all year so the Government can give you back your same over payment.

The way I see it, if people consistently remove the auto tips RCL will eventually be forced to increase the pay to retain the staff. Who do you think is going to pay that extra cost? Obviously it will be the customer, it will increase the standard fare probably more than it is at the moment including the tips. Overall who benefits? Not the customer because he will end up paying more for his cruise, not the staff because until the change is implemented they get to be disadvantaged financially and not RCL as the rest of the industry will continue pricing with fare + tips so RCL would appear more expensive and they may lose some market share.

I for one do not want increased cruise fares or to see the staff suffer just to save me a few bucks for this particular cruise. I accept that it is part of the cost of the cruise and pay it. You however can do what you like I am not arguing with you, neither one of us will ever convince the other to change their stance so we will have to agree to disagree :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The cruise fares have already been increased.ROYAL WILL SUCK EVERY PENNY THEY CAN FROM US.We have decided not to cruise Royal until there is a real price drop.People keep complaining,and then cruise anyway. Why should Royal lower the price.They know you will continue to cruise,no matter what they charge.:eek: :)

You are not a veteran until you post a complaint and the real veterans jump all over you. That is when you have truly arrived.

I really wish you would stop complaining like this all the time!;)

We are all God's creatures. These workers are someone's children. Imagine if they were yours and you knew how hard they work yet some ignorant travelers held back their tips so they could slosh down another drink??? I just dont get it...shame on some people!

We are all God's creatures. These workers are someone's children. Imagine if they were yours and you knew how hard they work yet some ignorant travelers held back their tips so they could slosh down another drink??? I just dont get it...shame on some people!

oh my.

And he will bore you to death.

Just got our "official" notice from our T/A..going up to $13.50 p/p p/d for interior, balcony. Higher ups will be $16.50 p/d p/p. Therefore, instead of the tipping being $310 for 2 people for 12 nights, it wlll be $324. for 2,

Personally for the $14.00 more on a 12 night cruise, I don't need RCI to hold my money till the end of October.(7 months). So we'll have the daily charge. Who knows, there probably be another sale or two before we go and they'll free grats included. Not like the promo now running! It stinks. With all the hype about the deal, we are still $200 under the best deal...It's C&A OR Grats. Not both...

Just got our "official" notice from our T/A..going up to $13.50 p/p p/d for interior, balcony. Higher ups will be $16.50 p/d p/p. Therefore, instead of the tipping being $310 for 2 people for 12 nights, it wlll be $324. for 2,

Personally for the $14.00 more on a 12 night cruise, I don't need RCI to hold my money till the end of October.(7 months). So we'll have the daily charge. Who knows, there probably be another sale or two before we go and they'll free grats included. Not like the promo now running! It stinks. With all the hype about the deal, we are still $200 under the best deal...It's C&A OR Grats. Not both...

That is great and I hope you have a wonderful cruise, but why are you quoting me?:confused: Did I say something that you thought was directed at you? BTW.....my cruise on the Anthem is right before yours. I MIGHT return the ship and I MIGHT not. We'll see.

Edited by champagne123
cccccvvvvv

And he will bore you to death.

Help me understand. Why is it so important not to let RCCL or any cruise line "hold" you money for several months? I know personally, I do not "borrow" money to cruise, and the definition of "borrow" is the use of a credit card and finance it for the next 12 months. Rather I pay for it with current money. Once I pay tips, I really don't care how long they have it. I paid it, and it's a done deal. Forgotten about. Totally irrelevant in my mind.

I go on many trips that I paid for it completely as much as 6 months early. My next trip, I paid for it 8 months early.

On another note, tips, are way too low for them. I have never found a reason to remove them. Maybe I can't grasp why it such a big deal to be in control of it.

I personally wish, they would include the "tips" in the cruise fare, and eliminate all the drama, and in particular from many that come from other countries that are confused about USA's way. I know when I travel, I get sometimes confused with European's ways. So just simplify it and bury it in the cost.

That is great and I hope you have a wonderful cruise, but why are you quoting me?:confused: Did I say something that you thought was directed at you? BTW.....my cruise on the Anthem is right before yours. I MIGHT return the ship and I MIGHT not. We'll see.

Sorry about 'quoting you"....Didn't really mean to do that. Just spaced out and grabbed the first post about tipping Hope you have a great time. Please return the ship for us :-) Thanks, and again, my apology!

They are not holding your money for 7 months. You can add the gratuities today and they will be showing on your bill as part of the total that is due at final payment. They are holding your money for around 90 days depending on when you make your final payment.

I added gratuities to my cruises for Dec 2016 and July 2017, the gratuities are now locked in at the current rate. I did not have to actually pay them now.