New gratuities by May 1st, 2016

A Little Harsh!

Sorry but not really harsh enough if the Captain lined up the crew and told me I am throwing a crew member over board unless you pay me a one cent surcharge.... I would tell him he will need to jump first because I will throw the money over board before paying a cent.....

You are allowed to do what you want, these fees are voluntary and optional and that means I can do what I want. So now is that harsh enough for you? Not one extra penny to save a crew members life or all the crew members because it is not my responsibility.

Have a great weekend, I know I am.

Edited by Expat Cruise

Royal does not want to operated under US Labor laws. They do everything they can to be able to operate with control from the US Labor Department. If you posters who keep saying how we should help these poor crew members really want to help them then get Royal to operate as a US staffed and paid crew.

What Royal and other cruise lines do is to want to be a US Operator when it comes to stealing money in the form of Auto gratuities which they then control and spread as they see fit. But they don't really want to help the crews they just want us to pay the crews.

RCCL has a corporation is not responsible for caring about the crews, they are responsible to the shareholders. And it makes prefect sense to con the passengers into paying extra money for staff wages.

Can you imagine having Union Room Stewards aboard our cruise ships? What a disaster! No one would tip these Union Stewards because service would be

horrible! Never let the US get involved with cruising personnel! Look at the

Veterans Administration. 80% union employees and a complete failure at the

VA! Imagine what it would be like on a cruise ship! This would not be a JOKE!

Can you imagine having Union Room Stewards aboard our cruise ships? What a disaster! No one would tip these Union Stewards because service would be

horrible! Never let the US get involved with cruising personnel! Look at the

Veterans Administration. 80% union employees and a complete failure at the

VA! Imagine what it would be like on a cruise ship! This would not be a JOKE!

They do not need to be union. But why apply US Standards to non US workers? That was the whole point. Tipping is not a Worldwide practice, most of the World is non tipping. The people that tip are Americans it is a idea that came about in America in the early 1900's. No reason to tip as part of the standard service received, tip for those who go above the standard level.

Tops should be earned not required or expected just for doing your job. Not US Workers or Standards.

And you are entitled to allow Royal to steal from you.... But you are not entitled or allowed to tell others what they must do or believe. Royal is stealing with the Auto Gratuity policy that they have in place. I will keep posting as I see fit and know is correct.

You don't know it's correct.

You may think it's a certain way, but you don't have any facts to back that up.

You are also absurd to claim he is letting RCL steal from him when he gives it willingly.

My guess is about 80% of Aussies remove the auto tips. Most would give a tip to the room guy and waiter at well below the recommended amount.

I can't see it's anywhere near that rate.

Certainly the queues at guest services appear no longer than anywhere else.

I'm sorry but gratuity is not for them. They should be on standard wages paid by royal. Not paid by guests. Gratuity is for good service rendered by a member of serving staff. Royal are just using guests to meet their wage bill.

As per your definition, a gratuity is for them as they are also a member of the serving staff.

Incidentally, I've had some occasions where the assistant waiter did a much better job than the waiter.

Just wondering can you get them refunded like you do on the princess as I like to choose who I pay mine to eg the room attendant and regular dining staff that take care of me. Never sailed on the rcl before

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just be aware that the tips that cover dining cover ALL those in dining who "take care of you" - at breakfast and lunch, at the little cafes, and behind the scenes. Not just those at dinner.

Just go to guest services and have them removed once you are on the ship. But do not select to prepay them during the booking process, getting a refund would make it harder.

If you did prepay them contract Royal and get the credit back to your charge card before you sail. If your package included no cost gratuities you can not change things.

I always have removed the auto daily gratuity from my account. I will never pay it.... don't care what the company says, never going to happen. For me these auto daily gratuities are nothing short of robbery and thief.

I have more respect for a armed robber than Royal over this, at least he/she puts a gun in my face and says they are stealing. Royal wants to say how poor hard working crews have little money and are so needy, and work so hard to make my cruise better.... All worthless garbage from company PR, pay your own employees, if they can't live on what they make find another job.

So you claim that RCL robs from you, yet you give them your business.

Not a lot of commonsense there.

Then he should be a waiter.

Grats are paid to personal service staff. Not to people handing out bread rolls

He is a waiter. A junior one.

And yes that means he is doing personal services. He also does more than hand out bread rolls. I've had some great service from assistant waiters.

You don't know it's correct.

You may think it's a certain way, but you don't have any facts to back that up.

You are also absurd to claim he is letting RCL steal from him when he gives it willingly.

Sorry but you are wrong I have direct statements by Royal crew members (off the ship) here in the Philippines that is what I am basing my statements in part on. Royal uses fraud and deception in the processing of these daily gratuities. And I have said the same to Royal's legal department and openly Challenged them to talk auction against me for my statements..... The reply was they folded and did exactly what I told them they would do.

Believe me don't believe me.... Really doesn't matter each reader is free to form their own opinion.

Sorry but you are wrong I have direct statements by Royal crew members (off the ship) here in the Philippines that is what I am basing my statements in part on. Royal uses fraud and deception in the processing of these daily gratuities. And I have said the same to Royal's legal department and openly Challenged them to talk auction against me for my statements..... The reply was they folded and did exactly what I told them they would do.

Believe me don't believe me.... Really doesn't matter each reader is free to form their own opinion.

Indeed - opinion. Not facts, and not claiming that someone is stolen from when they give it willingly.

Just wondering can you get them refunded like you do on the princess as I like to choose who I pay mine to eg the room attendant and regular dining staff that take care of me. Never sailed on the rcl before

Just so you know, when you remove the auto gratuity on Princess, your attendant and dining staff have to turn in the cash that you give them and it goes into a pool, so they likely get less than they would get if you left the gratuity in place. They are only allowed to keep additional cash.

I don't know if RCI operates the same way. I have to say that, fresh off Azamara Quest, it was wonderful not to have to worry about gratuities at all because they are included in the fare. We did give some extra money to certain crew members who took really REALLY good care of us, but didn't give a moment's thought of whether to tip more for the specialty restaurants vs the MDR. I wish that RCI would adopt the same model.

No need! You posted that Royal is "stealing" with the auto gratuities probably more than a dozen times (feels like 3 dozen times, but I'm not going to go back and count) between this thread and another thread on the topic. We all get that's what you think! It doesn't make it any less unfounded--especially when you've also said many times that you remove the gratuities so they're not "stealing" from you. This is how inflation works! Every good and service you pay for goes up in price over the years. I picture you arguing with vending machines and yelling at the cashier in the grocery store over rising costs.

It stealing and I will post it as many times as I want within the threads here and as allowed under the rules. If you don't like it you have a few choices:

1) Post Back

2) Leave site

3) Live with it.

Really very simple, as you have every right to your opinions. But so do I have the same rights.

They are not the people responsible for my dining experience and are not the people get the grief if things go wrong. So I would not tip those people unless they did something to go out of their way to help me.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

They each have roles to play. If you don't get your water, or bread served quickly/correctly and general serving support, they would and do get the grief. Whereas when there are issues with the meals, that goes to your waiter. Both have a role to play. And if the assistant waiter wasn't there, the waiter would get a lot more grief due to being overwhelmed. They (should) work as a team, and usually where you get a good experience, it's because they are working as a team, helping each other out and knowing where to support the other.

The only reason you have an assistant is because the waiters have to many tables. So why am I paying tips exactly? So royal can offload nearly all its costs on to guests. I'll go speciality from now on. 190 USD for 14 nights... Will stay out the MDR food sucks in there anyway

How do you gone up with $190 for 14 nights of specialty dining?

With MTD and prepaid gratuities it bothers me when my waiter team changes from night to night, that I may have great service one night and terrible the next one, and still RCI is dividing my tips evenly to both teams. That does not sound right.

The only reason you have an assistant is because the waiters have to many tables. So why am I paying tips exactly? So royal can offload nearly all its costs on to guests. I'll go speciality from now on. 190 USD for 14 nights... Will stay out the MDR food sucks in there anyway

I like the way you think, it is clear not everyone here believes Royal's PR.

100 for 5 on package and then 10 for every visit after in the small print.

I actually just found that and the way that I am reading it is that you are allowed 1 visit to Wonderland and each additional visit to Wonderland is an additional $10.

Please report back if you actually get the 14 nights for $190.

Here is the fine print...

*Specialty Dining Packages must be booked at least two days prior to boarding and may not be available for every sail date. One reservation must be used on the rst or second night of the sailing. Package includes one visit in Wonderland. A $10 cover will be charged for each additional visit per person. Packages include service charge and food portion only for dinner and, when available, lunch service. Beverages not included. For venues with a la carte pricing, package includes a $30 food credit. Participating venues and cover charge prices vary by ship; additional charges may apply for food selections. Not available on holiday sailings. Not valid for premium experiences including Chef’s Table, wine pairings dinners, and Mystery Dinner Theater. ©2015 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships’ registry: The Bahamas. 15047175 • 10/28/2015

Sorry, Granny but some of us resent being told what we have to tip folks. RCI needs to stop nickel and diming guests and just pay their folks a decent wage and fold it into the cruise price.

How do you figure that you are paying extra because some folks elect to not have their gratuities automatically charged to their account?

Excuse me, but what do you do when you eat at a restaurant--I'm assuming you don't tip--can't believe that. Do you go by the suggested or not. Also, many restaurants have a prescribed/included % grats for a party of 8 or more--what do you do in that case, ask them to remove.

I like the way you think, it is clear not everyone here believes Royal's PR.

I hope you and Irzero, never step into an US restaurant. By the way, if you're in Italy, ask them to remove the table service. LOL

Excuse me, but what do you do when you eat at a restaurant--I'm assuming you don't tip--can't believe that. Do you go by the suggested or not. Also, many restaurants have a prescribed/included % grats for a party of 8 or more--what do you do in that case, ask them to remove.

I think most people go with a baseline/average and adjust up or down based on actual services they get. Great service = more. Poor service = less.

The only reason you have an assistant is because the waiters have to many tables. So why am I paying tips exactly? So royal can offload nearly all its costs on to guests.

No, not at all.

RCL (and other lines) had assistant waiters for a long time, when staff were not so overloaded. Given they manage multiple diners, having assistants enables better coverage rather than just a single point of contact if the primary waiter is gathering meals and queuing the galley, or just attending to another diner.

As said though, if waiters didn't have assistant waiters, the service you receive would be much poorer.