New gratuities by May 1st, 2016

The more I think about this issue the more I am cynical about what RCL is doing. I will probably never know the truth BUT I do know.

1) Auto Tips have risen far far above the CPI in recent years. (anyone care to argue that?)

2) Staff levels have decreased in recent years and service levels have not improved. (again any arguments?)

3) RCL state that all the tips are spread passed on. (no proof either way)

SO If 3 is a fact then one of these MUST be occuring:

a) the staff ( who presumably were quite content with their previous wages) have gained substantial pay increases of late.

b) RCL have dropped their base wage and using the auto grats to subsidise the salary at the same level.

c) far more people are opting out and those that are paying (ME) are subsidising the opt outers cruise while the staff are no better off.

If 3 is not a fact RCL are playing me for a fool.

For the first time I am actually thinking of how to deal with my grats because each (now regular) increase is a slow drip to a larger total increase.

It is like the drinks or any gratuity rise from 15% to 18%. There is no need to increase the percentage as the inflationary price rise of the product takes care of the increase in grat returned to the server in line with inflation.

I agree it is a b & c. As for tips not being spread and passed on. Really only a couple of ways to know. Be inside Royal or hear it directly from the staff. I have heard directly from staff members that Royal does keep part of the auto gratuity daily fees. Now maybe the crew member was lying to me. But more than one has told me or my wife who is Filipino, that they make less now with auto tipping and the company takes money.

Given the choice of listening to Royal and the Corporate PR spin or listening to the crew member who came over to my table at a local wedding here in the Philippines and ask me about my next trip I will take the crew member. He did not know me or my wife, he was on his off time waiting for his next ship.

And we talked, his words "Mr ****d we do not like tipping now, much better before in cash" Could have he been lying? Absolutely he could be lying but he had no reason to do so.

As I work in commercial catering and banqueting I can tell you that you are talking absolute rubbish. They stretch the waiting staff over many tables and use assistants to distribute bread rolls etc to keep the total wage bill down. As far as royal care you have paid forward so anything they do to reduce cost is extra profit. Included the state of the food served on the ships. It's all about low cost now. May as well cruise with stelios easy cruise at this rate!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Again, the wage bill is effectively paid by customers, not Royal, so the "rubbish" as you put it comes from you still. Moreover, it's the standard cruiseline model, not something specific to RCL, although they seem to be the misdirected focus of your complaint.

As for your conclusion, that's been something people have been saying and is evident for a long time - nothing new there.

According to coca cola sugar doesn't cause obesity. McDonald's say trans fats are OK and pink slime is actually real beef. Philip Morris said that their tobacco didn't cause cancer and all car makers in the USA denied climate change.

I wouldn't trust an American company in anything they say ever. Even their European based subsidiaries are more honest than their US parent companies.

So do you trust royal to give your grays 100% to staff? Not on my life.

Maybe you should read again... I do not believe Royal is doing the right thing, I do not believe they are spreading the money collected back to the crew without taking a cut, I do not believe they are giving the money to the people who have earned it.

And as others have pointed out I have said in many posts I always remove the daily auto gratuity and will never pay it.

How is it that everything has to somehow be the fault of the passengers?:rolleyes:

The increase is 4%. Not a large amount but more than most people received in a land-bound pay increase or S/S benefits. Wonder if RC reduced the base pay for its employees???

I noticed than since the gratuities were made automatic the staff members aren't as service-oriented. They are assured of a tip.

Yes I know there are wonderful individuals on every ship so you don't have to tell me that.

Remember this is cruise CRITIC not RC's cheerleading section. If we, the customers, don't also express any concerns they won't improve.

This increase is only 4% but suggested gratuities have increased 38% over the last 5 years while, at the some time, suggested gratuities for the cabin attendant has only increased 10% - from $3.50 to $3.85. Cynical? Yes...I don't think recent service issues are due to prepaid gratuities but, rather, less staff, more work, and less income since many are not giving extra with the current gratuity structure.

RCI should just call it a mandatory Service Charge and most of us would be happy to award tips to those that are deserving.

I saw that post about the $15. I had to contain myself from commenting on it. ;) What I would like to ask you however...what does "high" post count have to do with raising the gratuities? :confused:

Look at the definition of gratuity it is not a required payment. No one has the right to question another for removing a optional fee. In the end the only thing that counts is the contract for service, and if allowed which it is then it is up to the person paying the bill.

If you want to leave in place and double the tips in cash... your money go ahead enjoy.

If I want to always remove and tip based upon service and performance....that is my choice.

If someone else says I do not believe in tipping ever.... that is their choice.

Look at the definition of gratuity it is not a required payment. No one has the right to question another for removing a optional fee. In the end the only thing that counts is the contract for service, and if allowed which it is then it is up to the person paying the bill.

If you want to leave in place and double the tips in cash... your money go ahead enjoy.

If I want to always remove and tip based upon service and performance....that is my choice.

If someone else says I do not believe in tipping ever.... that is their choice.

Are you finished with your rants yet? They are really getting tiresome. I respect everyone's right to tip or not tip.... You are the one that keeps quoting everyone and trying to pull them to YOUR side of the fence. WE GET IT. WE HEARD YOU. Enjoy your cruises and stop telling the one's that DO want to tip all the reasons we should NOT.

Are you finished with your rants yet? They are really getting tiresome. I respect everyone's right to tip or not tip.... You are the one that keeps quoting everyone and trying to pull them to YOUR side of the fence. WE GET IT. WE HEARD YOU. Enjoy your cruises and stop telling the one's that DO want to tip all the reasons we should NOT.

No I will not as long as this topic is posted about or any other topic that I have a opinion on I will post. Now if you want to challenge my right to post you will be entering a battle that you cannot win.

According to coca cola sugar doesn't cause obesity. McDonald's say trans fats are OK and pink slime is actually real beef. Philip Morris said that their tobacco didn't cause cancer and all car makers in the USA denied climate change.

I wouldn't trust an American company in anything they say ever. Even their European based subsidiaries are more honest than their US parent companies.

So do you trust royal to give your grays 100% to staff? Not on my life.

Volks Wagon isn't American. There is plenty of truth stretching to go around.

You can leave some cash on the table, or give them an envelope at the end of the cruise.

I meant do they pay regular gratuities and then tip again for CK? And how much do they give? I have 5 people in my party.

Honestly, I don't think I am going to pay regular tips and then tip the normal amounts in CK for 5 people on 4 nights out of 5. The fifth night we will probably eat in specialty.

"Dining and culinary services" tip comes out to $8.30 pp per day. Not going to leave that twice a day. I may just end up removing tips and tipping those amounts to the people in those places.

Edited by marci22

I meant do they pay regular gratuities and then tip again for CK? And how much do they give? I have 5 people in my party.

Honestly, I don't think I am going to pay regular tips and then tip the normal amounts in CK for 5 people on 4 nights out of 5. The fifth night we will probably eat in specialty.

"Dining and culinary services" tip comes out to $8.30 pp per day. Not going to leave that twice a day.

Makes sense. For us, we were in CK on 2 out of 7 days, so we left the normal tips in place and gave extra to an outstanding CK waiter.

Volkswagen is right up there with many corporate giants, huge in Europe, plus having a US market share.

I'm a retiree 30+ years with VW. What bothers me most is the arrogance, no apparent concern for their brand image and a general acceptance by people that corporations lie, like lying is no big deal. This last fact bothers me most.

Tipping is a personal thing and constantly harping on it, what for? People are entitled to their opinion, like it or not, some subjects get beat to death. Someone banging the drum to remove tips, whatever, their choice.

Makes sense. For us, we were in CK on 2 out of 7 days, so we left the normal tips in place and gave extra to an outstanding CK waiter.

yeah, I think I have reached my tipping limit. If it was one or two nights I'd probably do that as well, but I still wouldn't leave $8.30 per person at CK.

yeah, I think I have reached my tipping limit. If it was one or two nights I'd probably do that as well, but I still wouldn't leave $8.30 per person at CK.

Plus, you have 5 people in your party, where I had two. Big difference.

Has anyone has their opinions changed one way or the other?

I used to think people should just pay the recommended tips. But since the advent of specialty restaurants, increasing gratuities that go to random people, etc, I think I have changed my mind.

I still think people should tip, as the crew makes their money this way. But if someone wants to allocate it how they want, I don't think anyone can argue.

I think Royal is seeing how far they can go subsidizing even more salaries while still calling it a 'tip'. I don't think it is tipping as it used to be.

Edited by marci22

I used to think people should just pay the recommended tips. But since the advent of specialty restaurants, increasing gratuities that go to random people, etc, I think I have changed my mind.

I still think people should tip, as the crew makes their money this way. But if someone wants to allocate it how they want, I don't think anyone can argue.

I think Royal is seeing how far they can go subsidizing even more salaries while still calling it a 'tip'. I don't think it is tipping as it used to be.

I have to admit I asked the question purely rhetorically but that was a really good answer.

The way I see it, if people consistently remove the auto tips RCL will eventually be forced to increase the pay to retain the staff. Who do you think is going to pay that extra cost? Obviously it will be the customer, it will increase the standard fare probably more than it is at the moment including the tips. Overall who benefits? Not the customer because he will end up paying more for his cruise, not the staff because until the change is implemented they get to be disadvantaged financially and not RCL as the rest of the industry will continue pricing with fare + tips so RCL would appear more expensive and they may lose some market share.

I for one do not want increased cruise fares or to see the staff suffer just to save me a few bucks for this particular cruise. I accept that it is part of the cost of the cruise and pay it. You however can do what you like I am not arguing with you, neither one of us will ever convince the other to change their stance so we will have to agree to disagree :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The wage bill is paid by royal as operating fixed costs and the Grats come directly from customers. By having lower operating costs they boost share price and margins. They won't be getting any auto grats from me.. I wont play their game.

The wage bill paid by RCL for service staff is a token amount. The significant component of their income is from gratuities.

I totally agree with almost all that you have said and my opinions have changed because of this thread. This topic made me look at 2010 and 2011 invoices and who the gratuities were allocated to then and how they are "allocated" now. I do agree that people should tip, and tip well, but the current system, for the most part, is really a labor surcharge and not a gratuity.

The increase is 4%. Not a large amount but more than most people received in a land-bound pay increase or S/S benefits. Wonder if RC reduced the base pay for its employees???

I noticed than since the gratuities were made automatic the staff members aren't as service-oriented. They are assured of a tip.

Yes I know there are wonderful individuals on every ship so you don't have to tell me that.

Remember this is cruise CRITIC not RC's cheerleading section. If we, the customers, don't also express any concerns they won't improve.

An extra $5.00 per 10 day cruise - why are people so outraged? That amount covers so many different people. Everything goes ups in price that we buy. Don't forget that you tip in "real" life for everyone from your hairdresser or barber to the Starbucks coffee girl. If you can afford a 10 day cruise you can afford another $5.00 . Your porter probably got that for handling your luggage. I have not noticed that staff is less "motivated" or "service-oriented".