New gratuities by May 1st, 2016

Well said. You cant make the blind see or a narcissistic you give a dam about anyone but themselves.

Because they don't tip as you do? Why is it the customer's problem? It's Royal's problem, and since they're keeping it the way it is, I suppose it's working well for them.

There are two types of people, the selfish and generous. No one can convince the other that their way is right. You are an affluent person if you can cruise, from interior to owners suites. Such first world problems. Generous people tend to have good things happen to them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There are two types of people, the selfish and generous. No one can convince the other that their way is right. You are an affluent person if you can cruise, from interior to owners suites. Such first world problems. Generous people tend to have good things happen to them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree 50/50 and the part I disagree with may be just semantics. Yes, there are definitely two types of people, and your label of them is fine: selfish and generous. As you point out, neither will convince the other to change. But it I can't agree with the label of 'affluent' to be able to cruise. We are far from affluent, but we have cruised quite a bit in the last 12 years and we don't cruise in inside cabins nor in suites. But we do make choices about how to spend our money and time. I totally agree that 'generous people' tend to have good things happen to them. Generous people consider themselves fortunate (whatever circumstances they find themselves in) and willing to share with others as appropriate.

Well more than 50% of cruisers I meet on ships are generous is what I have found. I like believing that way.

To me tipping threads serve at least one purpose. I get to know Posters on CC and i can easily spot the jerks among the masses. It also Comes in very Handy if you happen to be on the same sailing as some.

People can argue about the Topic as much as they wish, but no one is going to win the other over. Once you have realized that you can just sit back, relax and have a laugh at all the People making themselves known as the jerks.:cool:

To me tipping threads serve at least one purpose. I get to know Posters on CC and i can easily spot the jerks among the masses. It also Comes in very Handy if you happen to be on the same sailing as some.

People can argue about the Topic as much as they wish, but no one is going to win the other over. Once you have realized that you can just sit back, relax and have a laugh at all the People making themselves known as the jerks.:cool:

I agree that people have different viewpoints, but I disagree that the ones who have different viewpoints than you are jerks.

For a very long time, I paid gratuities without question, and advised others to do the same, so it's not like I can't see the other side. But I disagree with Royal's new policy of auto grats that include 'other housekeeping services' etc, so my choice is to tip the way I choose to.

I also find it difficult to view this as a simple matter when so many people are now eating in specialty restaurants, some every night. It does complicate the matter of 'tipping'.

The thing I find most interesting is people fighting each other to get someone else to pay more. Royal must absolutely love this. Their OWN SYSTEM makes tipping optional. So there is really no reason to get annoyed at anyone for their choice. If it wasn't working very well, Royal would change their system.

I agree that people have different viewpoints, but I disagree that the ones who have different viewpoints than you are jerks.

For a very long time, I paid gratuities without question, and advised others to do the same, so it's not like I can't see the other side. But I disagree with Royal's new policy of auto grats that include 'other housekeeping services' etc, so my choice is to tip the way I choose to.

I also find it difficult to view this as a simple matter when so many people are now eating in specialty restaurants, some every night. It does complicate the matter of 'tipping'.

The thing I find most interesting is people fighting each other to get someone else to pay more. Royal must absolutely love this. Their OWN SYSTEM makes tipping optional. So there is really no reason to get annoyed at anyone for their choice. If it wasn't working very well, Royal would change their system.

I could care less what other people do, regarding tipping....it is in the end a choice. But my question to you is: What disturbs you so much with the 'other housekeeping services' are included in the gratuities distribution?

Once you've worked in the public sector you would at least understand why the service industry would prefer not to go to a salary type system. You may not agree but you'd have a better understanding.

I never said that. Re-read my post. I said I can identify the jerks, I never specified who they are or how I identify them and I never said anything about disagreeing with me.

You shouldn´t assume stuff or put words in my mouth I never said.

Looks like I hit a button with you though.

Once you've worked in the public sector you would at least understand why the service industry would prefer not to go to a salary type system. You may not agree but you'd have a better understanding.

Maybe you should be more specific in what you are trying to say, for those of us that can't be sure.

No incentive to go above and beyond.

You have clarified the position you were trying to make and I appreciate that.

The most important aspect of doing your job efficiently and exceeding standards is for the opportunity to keep your job and EARN an increase in your salary/pay scale. The incentive should always be there -- to keep your job. If you do a less than satisfactory job....your contract is not extended or you are not offered a new contract. The should be the most important incentive for going above and beyond -- job security.

I do believe all cruise lines should pay a living wage, even taking into account that they are providing room and board for the contract length. These employees do have families back home for which their rent and food needs to be paid for. Tips should add income to the employees, for the excellent service they provide to the cruisers.

I do believe all cruise lines should pay a living wage, even taking into account that they are providing room and board for the contract length. These employees do have families back home for which their rent and food needs to be paid for. Tips should add income to the employees, for the excellent service they provide to the cruisers.

I don't care what they pay their employees. It is none of my concern. My point was I can see why the service industry wants to keep a gratuities system.

Edited by Big_G

I don't care what they pay their employees. It is none of my concern. My point was I can see why the service industry wants to keep a gratuities system.

I can see it also.....and if the industry could not get people for the jobs because of the wage scale, they would have to change their system to offer a wage plan that was more attractive to prospective employees. Either system though should have as its default incentive....doing a good job has the employee KEEP their job or be offered a new contract.

No matter what the job, if you don't do it well, you should be replaced. How the compensation is handled is irrelative.

Because they don't tip as you do? Why is it the customer's problem? It's Royal's problem, and since they're keeping it the way it is, I suppose it's working well for them.

Well said.I don't pay auto tips.Also i don't need Royal to decide who to give my money to.I tip the people that i want to.They take care of us,and we will take care of them. :)

You should tell that to Royal Caribbean,let's all hope good things happen.:)

I never said that. Re-read my post. I said I can identify the jerks, I never specified who they are or how I identify them and I never said anything about disagreeing with me.

You shouldn´t assume stuff or put words in my mouth I never said.

Looks like I hit a button with you though.

Not sure who you were referring to then, as you said tipping threads served a purpose of helping you to spot jerks. Maybe you could rephrase so we can understand what you mean. If it is general jerk-spotting, then I suppose any thread would do.

Edited by marci22

I could care less what other people do, regarding tipping....it is in the end a choice. But my question to you is: What disturbs you so much with the 'other housekeeping services' are included in the gratuities distribution?

In the past, tips were distributed to people who we had a lot of contact with personally, namely waiter, asst waiter, steward and head waiter (although some have argued that last position as not tip-worthy). I am not interested in tipping 'other services' of any kind. Personal preference, I suppose.