CruiseNext Bait & Switch tactic

esm54687

Here's a twist on my future cruise credit. If you want to purchase a 500 Haven fcc you only get 100 obc. No way is it buy one get one free and you cant use a 250 fcc x2 in exchange for the 500 haven certificate....i would have loved to buy one get one free but alas with the prices of the haven lately i probably cant afford more than one!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
This has to be the lamest complaint I have ever seen. There is absolutely ZERO difference between buying one item for $250 and getting as second one free AND buying two items at $250 each and getting $250 back. You still have two of the items in your hand and you still netted paying $250. Did you REALLY expect them to charge you $250, give you a second one at $0 AND credit you with $250? You were asking them to give you the certificates for free! :rolleyes:

I think there is a difference. If the certificate net cost is $150, then they should charge $150. NOT $250 with a $100 OBC. The OBC comes with too many restrictions as to when you can use it and on what your can use it on. I tend not to have any use of the OBC as everything I want is pre-paid (dsc, ubp, sdp). In essence it forces you to buy things/services that you would otherwise not want. Also if you don't use the OBC, it's forfeited.

The better offer is to allow you to use the OBC on a future cruise booked when you use the certificate to book the next cruise or have it be transferable same as the certificate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think there is a difference. If the certificate net cost is $150, then they should charge $150. NOT $250 with a $100 OBC. The OBC comes with too many restrictions as to when you can use it and on what your can use it on. [...] In essence it forces you to buy things/services that you would otherwise not want. Also if you don't use the OBC, it's forfeited.

You are mistaken and that's why you think there is a difference. The OBC is immediately used on the purchase of the certificate, there is no extra OBC that "forces you to buy things/services", albeit customer spending extra $100 is the idea behind the whole marketing gimmick/wording.

I think there is a difference. If the certificate net cost is $150, then they should charge $150. NOT $250 with a $100 OBC. The OBC comes with too many restrictions as to when you can use it and on what your can use it on. I tend not to have any use of the OBC as everything I want is pre-paid (dsc, ubp, sdp). In essence it forces you to buy things/services that you would otherwise not want. Also if you don't use the OBC, it's forfeited.

The better offer is to allow you to use the OBC on a future cruise booked when you use the certificate to book the next cruise or have it be transferable same as the certificate.

If you purchase nothing else on your cruise, then the $100 OBC comes off the price of the certificate, so technically you are only being charged $150, which is what you say you should be charged.

You are mistaken and that's why you think there is a difference. The OBC is immediately used on the purchase of the certificate, there is no extra OBC that "forces you to buy things/services", albeit customer spending extra $100 is the idea behind the whole marketing gimmick/wording.

Thanks for the clarification, I leave in 6 days for another cruise. I will be sure to point this out to the cruisenext Rep. Hopefully, their answer will be the same.

Thanks for the clarification, I leave in 6 days for another cruise. I will be sure to point this out to the cruisenext Rep. Hopefully, their answer will be the same.

It's basic math, and those of us responding have done it many times. $250 certificate minus $100 OBC = $150. If the rep is doing their job well, they will try to get you to spend the $100 on other things other than the certificate itself. You don't have to. Edited by LrgPizza

It's basic math, and those of us responding have done it many times. $250 certificate minus $100 OBC = $150. If the rep is doing their job well, they will try to get you to spend the $100 on other things other than the certificate itself. You don't have to.

Yes, the Reps job is to bring in as much revenue as possible....that was not my argument. I have had the experience of being told that the OBC could not be used towards the certificate. That it could only be used during the current cruise or else forfeited. Which (based on what you have stated) is a misrepresentation of the offer.

Yes, the Reps job is to bring in as much revenue as possible....that was not my argument. I have had the experience of being told that the OBC could not be used towards the certificate. That it could only be used during the current cruise or else forfeited. Which (based on what you have stated) is a misrepresentation of the offer.

Never heard that one. Ever! who ever told you that, should be fired. I have always bought the certificates. I have always used the OBC from them to pay for half of them. Going on 5 years now using them(15 cruises).

Edited by CruisinHarvey

I didn't read through all of this, but I can absolutely see where the OP thought it was a bait and switch.

I'm just off the Breakaway and I was between buying one and two all week and finally decided just to get one the last day. So I went to the desk and bought one and the guy said "Well we have a deal today where if you don't take the $100 back I will give you two cruise rewards instead," I thought about it for a second and said "that's the same exact deal" and he said "no, instead of getting the $100 back you will get two reward certificates" and I said, "Yes, that's literally the deal."

I did buy the second one and he said "so I'm going to charge you for two reward certificates and then when I close tonight I will issue you a credit for one of the certificates, does that sound good?" I said "yes, it sounds exactly word for word like the original deal."

I chalked it up to a language barrier and how he was trained to upsell the certificates. I don't believe he was trying to bait and switch me. But it was just bizarre.

In the end its six of one, half dozen of the other.

Whomever told you you couldn't use the OBC toward the certificate was mistaken. I've purchased 8 certificates and used the OBC from those purchases to help pay for the certificates. You don't have to do anything to have it applied--what you'll see on your statement is the charge for the certificate(s) followed immediately by a credit in the applicable amount of OBC.

You are correct if you were told that it must be used during the current cruise. That is right. But it is incorrect if you were told it can't be used towards the certificate. I've done it many times. I've never even thought to ask, so I guess I'd never have been told differently. Nor have I ever, in hundreds and hundreds of posts here, ever heard of anyone having an issue.

It's basic math, and those of us responding have done it many times. $250 certificate minus $100 OBC = $150. If the rep is doing their job well, they will try to get you to spend the $100 on other things other than the certificate itself. You don't have to.

Actually on my October 15 gem cruise they stopped pushing the term...obc

They very clearly had it displayed...in print..as well as on the big screen in the atrium during the presentation that the net cost is $150

I think they got the hint and stopped saying it's an OBC that you can spend onboard however you wish

Ncl reads these boards

Just too many things are hashed out ad naeuseum on these boards and ncl IS adjusting things to meet our demands and concerns

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I didn't read through all of this, but I can absolutely see where the OP thought it was a bait and switch.

I'm just off the Breakaway and I was between buying one and two all week and finally decided just to get one the last day. So I went to the desk and bought one and the guy said "Well we have a deal today where if you don't take the $100 back I will give you two cruise rewards instead," I thought about it for a second and said "that's the same exact deal" and he said "no, instead of getting the $100 back you will get two reward certificates" and I said, "Yes, that's literally the deal."

I did buy the second one and he said "so I'm going to charge you for two reward certificates and then when I close tonight I will issue you a credit for one of the certificates, does that sound good?" I said "yes, it sounds exactly word for word like the original deal."

I chalked it up to a language barrier and how he was trained to upsell the certificates. I don't believe he was trying to bait and switch me. But it was just bizarre.

In the end its six of one, half dozen of the other.

It sounds to me like he has dealt with one too many newbie cruisers that need to sold a bill of goods or they won't understand it

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just got back from a cruise on Getaway, and I thought the program was explained pretty clearly, sorry. I purchased 1 CruiseNext deposit for $250, and got two CruiseNext deposits in my NCL account right now, each for $250. So I bought one, got one free. I didn't think it was confusing. I also didn't think I'd get any sort of OBC in addition to the extra/free CruiseNext deposits.

I saw the subject of this thread and got freaked out for a seconds thinking I missed something, but reading other replies, it seems that OP misinterpreted something, or else the CruiseNext person on board didn't explain things well.

So glad I'm still being judged 8 months after my initial caning because I had a different opinion...... the promos are all now worded completely different than they were in March and are much clearer today..... but nothing better than reviving a dead thread!!

How about that new carry-on beverage policy NCL has? That's only 4 months old....

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

So glad I'm still being judged 8 months after my initial caning because I had a different opinion...... the promos are all now worded completely different than they were in March and are much clearer today..... but nothing better than reviving a dead thread!!

How about that new carry-on beverage policy NCL has? That's only 4 months old....

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

It wasn't meant to admonish you (not in the least). I thought you made a good point in terms of the wording. I find nothing wrong in having a a well argued discussion.

Recently I was on the Breakaway and decided to take advantage of the CruiseNext promotion. The day I went down to purchase the certificate, the promo ad in the Freestyle Daily said "buy one $250 certificate and get one free". The standard $250 certificate came with a $100 OBC so I figured it was a great deal..... two $250 certificates for $150... why would I think it wasn't a deal considering everything else on the ship was being marked down... what a great way for NCL to increase CruiseNext purchases \ metrics while locking in future revenue from passengers by discounting them. NOPE! It turns out that NCL's definition of buy one and get one free is completely different than the the real world.

NCL requires you to buy TWO $250 certificates for $500 and get a $250 OBC.... wait, the ad said buy ONE not TWO...this actually cost me $100 more than the ad read. So I talked to the CruiseNext Manager and gave her an example using the CruiseNext ad's wording.... "the Best Buy ad says buy a $250 television and get a second for free. You would walk into Best Buy with $250 and expect to walk out with TWO tvs..... not walking into Best Buy and pay $500 and being issued a $250 store credit".... she agreed with my Best Buy example but could not understand her own ad....... I then gave an example "NCL is running a promo where the first two guests pay and the third \ fourth are free..... NCL doesn't charge full price for the third \ fourth and then issue an OBC for that amount, right?".... of course she said that they don't charge for the third \ fourth.

While in the big picture, it's not a huge deal..... but considering NCL is nickel and diming us, increasing prices quarterly, holding the passengers accountable for all their T&Cs that are out there, and I'm sure their legal counsel ok'd the ad..... I expected it to be honored. According to her, I am the only one who has ever read the buy ONE get ONE free exactly as it was written....or the first to challenge the promo ad.... she seemed out of sorts that someone actually was standing in front of her complaining. She did not have a viable solution other than comping me a specialty dinner, however this offer wasn't made until 7:30pm on our last night and logically impossible to use.

I had submitted a card to the Hotel Director and he referred me to Guest Services..... while I appreciate his response... the CruiseNext Manager reports directly to him.

Make sure you have NCL explain their promos before you do anything... it was a great cruise and didn't really ruin anything but I was not pleased with the "bait and switch" tactics and the "dismissive" attitude from the CruiseNext staff

You not reading the details of an offer does NOT equal bait and switch. It means you ASS_U_MED something and (literally) paid the price for doing so.

I appreciate everyone's take on the situation and the dialogue... I understand and respect that there is always a second way to look and read into things.. I read the T&Cs fully and the promotion was buy ONE free get another ONE free.... no where did the T&Cs say "you are actually going to buy TWO and get a credit for the other" .. this is where I think the disconnect is because if you buy four and get a credit of $500 you are mathematically getting 2 for 1.... but the ad specifically said "buy ONE $250 reward and get another free" (no gray area there)

There is no difference. One way they bill you $500 and they credit you $250, the other they bill you $250. Nest effect is EXACTLY the same. You bought two and you paid $250. Your argument is silly and absurd.

There is no difference. One way they bill you $500 and they credit you $250, the other they bill you $250. Nest effect is EXACTLY the same. You bought two and you paid $250. Your argument is silly and absurd.

It's also silly and absurd to post a reply 8 months after something is posted.

Bill

It's also silly and absurd to post a reply 8 months after something is posted.

Bill

Agreed!! .... as I am the original OP and just posted #118

Next, they will have an opinion of how absurd NCL's policy to ban bringing buffet food back to the room is..... ☺

Hope they realize it's Trump / Clinton today and not Kennedy / Nixon.... 😁

sent using Forums mobile app