CruiseNext Bait & Switch tactic

esm54687

I am going to suggest that you misread the promo. I just bought two myself, and it was clear that I was paying $250, or buying one and getting one free. In fact, that is the only reason I bought two of them. It was clearly the better deal. I normally only buy one at $150. For $100 more, I received two, which is exactly the same as buying one and getting one free.

It took me a while, but now see how it worked vs. a BOGO literally. It's kind of a roundabout way to do it as long as you can apply your $250 towards the second one and didn't use the OBC towards anything else. Right?

It took me a while, but now see how it worked vs. a BOGO literally. It's kind of a roundabout way to do it as long as you can apply your $250 towards the second one and didn't use the OBC towards anything else. Right?

It is more like an instant rebate than a true buy one get one free. If you buy one certificate it's $250 with $100 obc so the net cost of the certificate is $150. A true buy one get one free offer you would buy the certificate for $250, get $100 obc, receive 2 certificates and have a net cost of $75 for each certificate. The way NCL does it is they sell you 2 for $500, they give you a rebate of $250 in obc and the net cost is $125 per certificate. The chart used in the promotion does make it clearer but I can certainly understand someone being confused by the term "buy one, get one free". At the end of the day it is still a really good deal as long as you are planning on cruising with NCL again.

Edited by sparks1093

The real issue here..... And a typical ploy from ncl is using the term....OBC

In reality.....a $250 cruise credit....only costs you $150....bottom line no matter how you look at it and of course you are able to apply it at $250 when you book your next cruise

But something else comes in to play when ncl insists on using the term "OBC" and many savvy cruisers are on to it....

Ncl is hoping you will now think you actually have $100 obc to spend and book a dinner or buy drinks etc.

In addition.....they have now dangled another carrot by offering a bogo deal....where in essence you get $125 off per cert if you buy 2

Each cert in that case costs you $125..... Or $250 total.... But you now can book 2 cabins on 2 different cruises or you can book 2 cabins on the same cruise....it's a good deal in my mind

Or you can get lucky and use both certs on the Same cabin on one cruise when ncl offers that deal....another of the few really goods deals ncl has

Bottom line.....a cruiser can save either $100 or $125 on their next cruise....can book a cruise with zero cash outlay by using a cert as the deposit....even if the deposit requirement is $400 per pax you still only use a cert and have zero cash outlay at booking

They are a good deal for the pax plus ncl increases their cash inflow by selling you a cert now that you aren't using now but will use up to 4 years from now. In essence we are giving ncl use of our $150 or $125 and they are paying us an excellent amount of interest for that use. Lol Something like 66%!!!! We give them $150....they give use back...$250....

Why you may ask? Because ncl knows we have a reason to book another cruise with THEM....not ccl or rccl....and they know they will make $$$$ on us

I've said it before and will say it again....

1. Ncl is a marketing genius regardless of how long time ncl pax feel about their methods

And.....more telling of how ncl is going in the future

2. Ncl is more concerned with attracting newbie unseasoned cruisers than retaining seasoned cruisers because we see things a little too clearly

Case in point.....fake KSF deals and those very costly to the pax "freebies" but newbies do t have anything to compare to......but we do

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is buy one get one free though...you're not understanding because you're leaving out the words (at normal price)
Who left out the words, the OP or the person who wrote the ad? Why do the missing words have to be "at normal price" (i.e. full price with no OBC) and not "as you would normally" (i.e. with the standard OBC deal)?
Why in the world you would believe that a deal or promo would be on top of and in addition to another deal/promo is beyond me?
Because NCL's promos are often combinable. The ad did not say either way, and that was the whole point: to make people think that maybe there was an additional deal being offered. You have to go visit the CruiseNext desk to find out that it's in fact the same deal that you already knew about, but then the consultant has you there and they can try to sell you stuff.

So I agree with the OP that the ad was open to misinterpretation (I do not agree that it was a bait and switch, or that it was worth writing to the hotel director about, etc.). It is typical of the way this product is marketed on board. The whole program is designed to confuse people (and it is very effective, if you look at the number of threads here where people are confused about how it works). They could just say you get a deposit worth $250 but you only pay $150. Or two deposits worth $500 but you only pay $250. That's how we always explain it here on CC. But you will never hear that on board. What you will hear from the CruiseNext consultant is "We have an exciting new offer, for a limited time only, if you put down a deposit on your next cruise for $250, we'll give you $100 of free spending money for you to use on jewelry and spa treatments right away, on this cruise!"

Case in point.....fake KSF deals and those very costly to the pax "freebies" but newbies do t have anything to compare to......but we do

I agree with your whole post - perfect explanation. What is a fake KSF deal? My family & I have made out very well on the KSF deals.

So, if you are such a frequent cruiser, why are you trying to recoup an expired certificate? Your kid had 4 years to give it to you. Expired is expired. Yes?
I would never think of calling NCL to see if I could use an expired certificate. If there was a reason I couldn't use it or I forgot about it, it would be on me. If NCL was nice enough to let someone use an expired certificate, they should say thank you and use it.

Well, you really aren't getting an OBC. The cost for 2 is $500, and they are crediting you $250 to your account. I know it says "OBC", but you really aren't getting one.

I would never think of calling NCL to see if I could use an expired certificate. If there was a reason I couldn't use it or I forgot about it, it would be on me. If NCL was nice enough to let someone use an expired certificate, they should say thank you and use it.
Earlier this year they did run a promotion allowing people to use expired deposits. I thought it was very generous of them. But apparently at some point they decided to stop allowing people to transfer expired deposits to others, which is understandable, since the point was to get these infrequent cruisers to come back to NCL. (swedish weave's son learned about the promotion when they were still transferable, but by they time they got around to acting on it, it was too late, the rules had changed. And then the people at the CruiseNext office were mean to them. You can find full details of this complaint in about 1000 other threads where swedish weave has posted it.)

Earlier this year they did run a promotion allowing people to use expired deposits. I thought it was very generous of them. But apparently at some point they decided to stop allowing people to transfer expired deposits to others, which is understandable, since the point was to get these infrequent cruisers to come back to NCL. (swedish weave's son learned about the promotion when they were still transferable, but by they time they got around to acting on it, it was too late, the rules had changed. And then the people at the CruiseNext office were mean to them. You can find full details of this complaint in about 1000 other threads where swedish weave has posted it.)
Thanks. That was very generous of NCL to allow that and I can understand why they change the terms not allowing it to be transferred, as I'm sure folks were either selling them or transferring them to friends, which wasn't NCL intention when they did the promotion.

Thanks. That was very generous of NCL to allow that and I can understand why they change the terms not allowing it to be transferred, as I'm sure folks were either selling them or transferring them to friends, which wasn't NCL intention when they did the promotion.

Maybe NCL should give some thought to those types of things before they run a promotion- to run a promotion and then change the terms in the middle of it makes them look like neophytes.

Maybe NCL should give some thought to those types of things before they run a promotion- to run a promotion and then change the terms in the middle of it makes them look like neophytes.

Well, just like the OBC purchases, they probably didn't think people would take advantage of their generosity like they did. I seriously don't blame them for changing the terms. But what happens in the end, a few take advantage and it ruins it for everyone. Best to act when you first see a promotion, then to wait!!!

Edited by NLH Arizona

So, if you are such a frequent cruiser, why are you trying to recoup an expired certificate? Your kid had 4 years to give it to you. Expired is expired. Yes?

I consider that a rather inane question, but will answer it anyway. He has a very full work schedule, and he forgot about the cert. He was reminded of it when he got an email from NCL telling him it would be reinstated and he could use it or transfer it to someone else.

If you post was an attempt to belittle me, it didn't work.

Edited by swedish weave

Well, just like the OBC purchases, they probably didn't think people would take advantage of their generosity like they did. I seriously don't blame them for changing the terms. But what happens in the end, a few take advantage and it ruins it for everyone. Best to act when you first see a promotion, then to wait!!!

People are always going to take advantage of advantageous terms in any promotion and if they find a way to make it more advantageous than the company intended then they will. That's why company's have the power of the small print on their side, to minimize that. There is a world of difference between taking advantage of something and taking unfair advantage of something. If the company didn't take measures to protect their interests that's on them. If they change the terms for new transactions that is one thing, it's another if they go back an re-do completed transactions.

I agree, they probably didn't think people would take advantage of their generosity but isn't it their job to think about stuff like that? I think it is.

Your account of this scenario is the product of a vivid imagination.

Try to accept it for what it is --- A shoddy advertising tactic by NCL that they would not support. My son's response was very soon after he received the email.

Please try to keep your posts to facts instead of imaginary details.

People are always going to take advantage of advantageous terms in any promotion and if they find a way to make it more advantageous than the company intended then they will. That's why company's have the power of the small print on their side, to minimize that. There is a world of difference between taking advantage of something and taking unfair advantage of something. If the company didn't take measures to protect their interests that's on them. If they change the terms for new transactions that is one thing, it's another if they go back an re-do completed transactions.

I agree, they probably didn't think people would take advantage of their generosity but isn't it their job to think about stuff like that? I think it is.

Never said anyone was taking unfair advantage, just that they were taking advantage. Who knows, they might have got a lot of calls from folks saying they just bought the certificates and that was the reason they changed the rules. If they were going to protect themselves, they should put on all certificates that they are non-transferable....maybe something that might come in the future.

That is not true. I read the email and have no difficulty understanding what I read, so your constant attempts to distort facts in support of NCL is not acceptable.

Who left out the words, the OP or the person who wrote the ad? Why do the missing words have to be "at normal price" (i.e. full price with no OBC) and not "as you would normally" (i.e. with the standard OBC deal)?

Because NCL's promos are often combinable. The ad did not say either way, and that was the whole point: to make people think that maybe there was an additional deal being offered. You have to go visit the CruiseNext desk to find out that it's in fact the same deal that you already knew about, but then the consultant has you there and they can try to sell you stuff.

So I agree with the OP that the ad was open to misinterpretation (I do not agree that it was a bait and switch, or that it was worth writing to the hotel director about, etc.). It is typical of the way this product is marketed on board. The whole program is designed to confuse people (and it is very effective, if you look at the number of threads here where people are confused about how it works). They could just say you get a deposit worth $250 but you only pay $150. Or two deposits worth $500 but you only pay $250. That's how we always explain it here on CC. But you will never hear that on board. What you will hear from the CruiseNext consultant is "We have an exciting new offer, for a limited time only, if you put down a deposit on your next cruise for $250, we'll give you $100 of free spending money for you to use on jewelry and spa treatments right away, on this cruise!"

No one left out the words...it is implied. Anyone who doesn't understand this is simply being naive or wanting EVEN MORE discount. Let's try this again.

One certificate costs $250 at normal price (100% of cost)

2nd certificate costs $250 at normal price (100% of cost)

You go to the desk...you buy 2 certificates at $500 total (200% of cost of 1 certificate). They charge your OBC $500

Immediately, they they say here is your rebate and credit your OBC $250 (100% cost of 1 certificate).

The end result is your OBC credit is net charged $250 (the 100% cost of 1 certificate) and you walk away with 2 certificates (200%)

You BOUGHT 1 (at $250 / 100%) and GOT 2 (worth $500 / 200%)

------------------------------------

What you, and anyone who is confused is trying to say is that you want to buy 1 certificate...a $250 value, but rather than pay full price, you want to pay only $150 (60% of that cost) and get $100 OBC.

In addition to that...you then want a 2nd certificate for free because that's what the add says.

You are trying to combine 2 offers. If you take the 1st certificate and pay only 60% of it, you get OBC...but you can't then get a whole other certificate for free.

If you buy 2...NCL will credit you for one. And that is the buy 1 get 1 free.

Getting 2 certificates for $150 net amount spent is NOT buy one get one free. It is buy one at 40% off AND get 1 free. That is NOT the offer

I can't believe I spent the time explaining this again. People really do want anything and everything free in this world. And even when it is common sense that they are wrong...then they say it's a scam, bait and switch.

If they change the terms for new transactions that is one thing, it's another if they go back an re-do completed transactions.
In this case there was no completed transaction. There was no transaction at all, and the deposit that the son allowed to become worthless remains worthless. But who knows, the promo may come back one day at a time when the son is able to take advantage of it.

I do think that the CruiseNext people should have been explained upfront that they changed the rules (and why) instead of telling swedish weave and his son that they had misunderstood the initial communication, which is just insulting. (But then again I haven't seen anyone else's account of the initial communication, only swedish weave's.)

Anyone who doesn't understand this is simply being naive or wanting EVEN MORE discount. […] People really do want anything and everything free in this world. And even when it is common sense that they are wrong...then they say it's a scam, bait and switch.
About half the threads on this board are from people wanting EVEN MORE discount from NCL. And NCL often gives it to them, so you can hardly blame them for thinking that it's possible to get a deal on top of another deal. You are right about people in this world, and unfortunately NCL does little to discourage this attitude of entitlement.

Never said anyone was taking unfair advantage, just that they were taking advantage. Who knows, they might have got a lot of calls from folks saying they just bought the certificates and that was the reason they changed the rules. If they were going to protect themselves, they should put on all certificates that they are non-transferable....maybe something that might come in the future.

Of course they were taking advantage, that's what people do and what company's want since that is why they make these offers. If they didn't want the expired to be eligible to transfer all they needed do was put an * and at the bottom say "expired certificates may only be redeemed by the original purchaser and may not be transferred". They had to know that some people that had expired certificates would not be in a position to use them and would try to transfer them to someone that could use them. People are always going to take full advantage of terms that are favorable to them.

In this case there was no completed transaction. There was no transaction at all, and the deposit that the son allowed to become worthless remains worthless. But who knows, the promo may come back one day at a time when the son is able to take advantage of it.

I do think that the CruiseNext people should have been explained upfront that they changed the rules (and why) instead of telling swedish weave and his son that they had misunderstood the initial communication, which is just insulting. (But then again I haven't seen anyone else's account of the initial communication, only swedish weave's.)

There was an offer and that offer should have been honored. It's not like NCL actually would lose anything by honoring the offer, they still get a booking.

Edited by sparks1093

Ncls's generosity?????

Now that's funny. Always the pro NCL.

Remember, NCL sails on water, they don't walk on water.

No one left out the words...it is implied. Anyone who doesn't understand this is simply being naive or wanting EVEN MORE discount. Let's try this again.

One certificate costs $250 at normal price (100% of cost)

2nd certificate costs $250 at normal price (100% of cost)

You go to the desk...you buy 2 certificates at $500 total (200% of cost of 1 certificate). They charge your OBC $500

Immediately, they they say here is your rebate and credit your OBC $250 (100% cost of 1 certificate).

The end result is your OBC credit is net charged $250 (the 100% cost of 1 certificate) and you walk away with 2 certificates (200%)

You BOUGHT 1 (at $250 / 100%) and GOT 2 (worth $500 / 200%)

------------------------------------

What you, and anyone who is confused is trying to say is that you want to buy 1 certificate...a $250 value, but rather than pay full price, you want to pay only $150 (60% of that cost) and get $100 OBC.

In addition to that...you then want a 2nd certificate for free because that's what the add says.

You are trying to combine 2 offers. If you take the 1st certificate and pay only 60% of it, you get OBC...but you can't then get a whole other certificate for free.

If you buy 2...NCL will credit you for one. And that is the buy 1 get 1 free.

Getting 2 certificates for $150 net amount spent is NOT buy one get one free. It is buy one at 40% off AND get 1 free. That is NOT the offer

I can't believe I spent the time explaining this again. People really do want anything and everything free in this world. And even when it is common sense that they are wrong...then they say it's a scam, bait and switch.

We are considering buying the 2 Cruisenext certificates on our cruise this weekend.

Quick question for you all.....

We have pre-purchased $1000 in refundable OBC. Not sure if we'll use it or not, but since it is refundable we went ahead and got it (its at a preferable exchange rate since we are Canadian).

If we buy the 2 Cruisenext certificate for $500 using our refundable OBC and THEN subsequently the $250 OBC "refund" is applied to our account - is this $250 now considered refundable or non-refundable OBC (ie. do we have to absolutely spend it onboard or can it be refunded)?