Ladies: Do you wear the same outfit twice?

trubey

Guest Celestia

Good Question! The answers have been interesting.

Depending on the length of the cruise, I do repeat for both day and evening. Anything over 10 days, I just wouldn't *have* a new outfit for each day or dinner...my working clothes are not 'cruise appropriate' (although they are very appropriate to the type of work I do) and I simply don't have 15 evening outfits.

I have specific 'cruise clothes' which live in, no kidding, the 'cruisewear' garment bag in the spareroom closet between cruises. Cleaned and pressed after each cruise, I'm always ready to pack on short notice. But I see no problem with repeats, I only buy and keep clothing I really like. As there's no part of my everyday life that includes modern-day clothes dressing up, these favorites only come out of the closet for cruises. I have outfits that have been on every cruise I've been on! We never do any of the photos (flash photography is a migraine trigger for me) so no worries there.

As for day, I usually have a different blouse for each day but I standardized long ago on good quality black pants, black hosiery and black shoes for day. I do switch off between two pair of black day shoes for foot health, daily, but otherwise it doesn't change. I'm not one to haul a lot of luggage and as it usually has to be stored in-room, don't want too much extra along. One pair of basic good dress heels takes care of formal and informal evenings for me.

I use the self-service laundry at least once a week and would not book a cruise on a ship without one. I do not like to send my things out for washing. I do use the drycleaning services if necessary, though few things I wear require it.

I do change for dinner every evening including first and last nights. I can't imagine going to dinner and the evening activities without showering first - probably because this fits in with my usual workday behavior. We don't do 'casual' unless it's a Hawaii cruise and Alohawear has been specified, we keep the informal dress code on so-called casual dinner nights (I've never understood *why* anyone would go to the dining room in casual. If you want that atmosphere, IMO, dine in the Lido).

I would only care (and probably only notice) if another passenger repeated outfits if the garments were not clean or the individual themselves were in need of bathing....sadly I have experienced both on cruises, and it can be very unpleasant.

FW&FS,

Celestia

I mix, I match, I repeat if necessary. I do not notice what other people are wearing because I do not care. The only night I do not change for dinner would be the first night depending on what time I get to the ship and whether or not we have our luggage.

I have a pair of dressy black pants, and also a dressy black long skirt. I just pack several different dressy tops to go with them, and wear the same pair of dressy black sandals. Easier to pack, and no one seems to notice that the long black skirt I wore on the last Formal night was the same one I wore on the first Formal night! It's cheaper for me to buy a formal top than a whole outfit, and no one ever looks at my sandals!

I always change for dinner. I almost always have a different outfit for each night but do use the same basic black slacks with several tops throughout the cruise. Sometimes for a back-to-back, I may re-wear an Informal outfit from the week before but never the same Formal Dress/outfit. I mix and match for daytime clothing and wear some of the same shorts/jerseys/tops again after sending them out for laundering. I definitely rewear the same exercise clothes after washing. I rewear swimsuits and the like.

I always notice what the ladies are wearing. I love to see what people in our area of the dining room have on each night. I also notice what strangers in restaurants where we dine at home are wearing. I love admiring (or less than admiring) someone else's sense of style/color and how they put it all together with shoes, handbag and jewelry. It does not ruin my cruise if people haven't put much effort into their appearance but I do notice and it does effect the general ambience IMO If they are friendly and nice, I enjoy chatting with them and don't care what they're wearing as long as they are at least close to suggested code for the evening.

Yes, I repeat outfits. Our next cruise is 31 days. There's no way I could pack a different outfit for every day and dinner. I've found that I can save luggage space by having reversable clothing - a dress and two skirts, for this cruise. My long, black skirt shows up for formal nights with different tops. A basic black jacket and slacks works for casual and informal nights, with different tops. I'm not going to worry if someone notices that I'm wearing the same thing more than once!:)

I have absolutely NO recollection of what anyone else wore on our previous cruises. I tend to think no one remembers what I was wearing either. Our cruise memories are of experiences, not appearances. I can tell you about wonderful conversations we had with our lovely tablemates, but try as I might, I cannot recall what those gracious women were wearing! The only thing I would have noticed is inappropriate attire for the evening's designation. I must add, however, that as long as an "attempt" has been made, I am willing for overlook someone's lack of knowledge, or understanding, of what is appropriate.

On a 7-day cruise, I may repeat day time wear if there is a self-serve laundry or I have free laundry service. For casual nights, watch me as I walk in as you will see the same black dress pants but not the same top. For formal nights, I prefer to do one with the basic black and one with a more vibrant color - red is my favorite but bright blues and pinks come in second. Have only done 7-dayers but on an upcoming 14 day cruise there will be repeats or I need to go shopping!

Yes, I change for dinner nightly. By the time I stand in line to board the ship, unpack the clothes, walk around the ship, and put on that life vest and stand outside for 15 minutes, I want a shower and clean clothes before dinner.

I usually don't remember what other's wear. The only outfit I remember on a table mate wearing was a gorgous red dress on a 20 something who had the figure to wear it. She looked stunning.

Ladies: Do you wear the same outfit twice? Do you notice if someone else does? Do you care? Does it matter?

Today was my day for pulling out all my clothes for the trip. I started with what I knew I wanted and then kept adding outfits until I ran out of ideas. At this point, there is a stack of about 11 things. On a 15 day cruise, this will mean I'll be in the same daytime things two or three times and the same with my dinner wardrobe.

I'd love to open this up for discussion. susana.

I've done many 15+ day cruises and have no problems about repeating outfits, particularly daytime wear. On shore days you can get away with 3 pairs of pants and different tops; the formals, 3 or 4, can be a scrunchable silk; a gown that needs pressing or black skirt/pants and 2/3 tops - belts and jewelery add variety. Informal - perhaps a long skirt, plain or patterned, black pants, blouses, dressy jacket or stoles, so much depends on the itinerary. Casual nights, again much depends on the itinerary - Caribbean, light weight slacks (2 max) co-ordinating tops.

Shoes are a bugabo - comfy runners for shore and deck days - heels/ sandals for Formal and Informal nights. We use the laundry - it's inexpensive.

We always have to fly to join a cruise - flying time can vary from 6 to 10 hours - airline weight restrictions are a prime consideration - we never travel with more than one checked bag each, plus a roll aboard and, of course, for me, a purse that can accommodate all travel documents, etc. etc. etc. :rolleyes: for two.

I really don't keep track of what our table mates wear - we've always been fortunate enough to be seated with people who observed the Lines' dress code - I'd be one of the first to object to 'hairy armpits' at any meal :D

Sometime I have a hard time remembering what I wore myself, so I can't imagine that anyone else would remember.....or care.....what I wore at a previous time. Likewise, I don't study, pay attention, or remember what others have worn (unless it's something really extreme.) With that in mind, I never hesitate to wear an item a second time. Since I have second seating dinner, if I wear something for a few hours on a casual night, I may wear it again during the day later in the cruise. I've already had surgery on one shoulder, and it looks like I'm about ready to have the second shoulder done, so packing efficiently is definitely to my advantage. I mix and match informal and casual clothes, alternating several pairs of silky slacks with different tops. I usually wear something different each formal night, but if I had to repeat, I wouldn't have any problem doing it.

My goal is to look as nice as I can and dress appropriately for the occasion. I'm way past being a fashionista...too old, too lazy, too tired, too cheap, and too uninterested.

Trubey,

Thank you for starting this thread. I just booked my first cruise on HAL through the Panama Canal for next September and have been fretting about clothing. My first cruise was on NCL and the dress was overall very causal. (There was one guy who wore the exact same clothing the entire 12-day cruise. He said his suitcases got lost by the airline but he could have at least gotten a new shirt!. Well, he was drunk before he boarded and stayed that way the entire cruise, so maybe he didn't notice he was wearing the same thing everyday!):o

I know HAL is more upscale than NCL and have been worried about repeating outfits and what to wear in general. The cruise I'm taking is 15 days long and I plan on repeating my daywear (mixing and matching) at least three times and my evening (informal) wear that many times, as well. But for formal nights I had hoped to be able to wear the same nice cocktail dress with different accessories. Naturally, everything will be clean and pressed. I travel on my own and any more than one big suitcase is just too much for me to handle. After reading the responses, I am reassured!

I know HAL is more upscale than NCL and have been worried about repeating outfits and what to wear in general. The cruise I'm taking is 15 days long and I plan on repeating my daywear (mixing and matching) at least three times and my evening (informal) wear that many times, as well. But for formal nights I had hoped to be able to wear the same nice cocktail dress with different accessories. Naturally, everything will be clean and pressed. I travel on my own and any more than one big suitcase is just too much for me to handle. After reading the responses, I am reassured!

On our first cruise we enjoyed our table mates who were a group of six ladies from the same church. It was obvious that one of the ladies was the workhorse for the church. She struggled to make ends meet but was always there for her church and the first to volunteer. It was also obvious that the other five women were treating her to the cruise. The formal attire was a sequined sweater with a dark skirt. She followed the spirit of the dress code to the best of her ability. No one would dare say a word to her. Her travel mates were just as wonderful, as they did their best to make her feel comfortable. Got to say, it was a wonderful, enjoyable table every evening.

On our first cruise we enjoyed our table mates who were a group of six ladies from the same church. It was obvious that one of the ladies was the workhorse for the church. She struggled to make ends meet but was always there for her church and the first to volunteer. It was also obvious that the other five women were treating her to the cruise. The formal attire was a sequined sweater with a dark skirt. She followed the spirit of the dress code to the best of her ability. No one would dare say a word to her. Her travel mates were just as wonderful, as they did their best to make her feel comfortable. Got to say, it was a wonderful, enjoyable table every evening.

Gotta love all six of those ladies and you, too! Exactly the kind of folks I'm looking forward to meeting on HAL!

Ginnie

I just thought of another question: do you always change for dinner?

Trubey - Almost a P.S. your second question - We always change for dinner!

Last year we traveled with a couple who lost one set of luggage for the entire 15 day trip - - they were a real class act - no mention of their plight was made until about the 4th night when he wore the same shirt (which we hadn't noticed!). With rental tux etc. and a few on board purchases, he was always suitably dressed.

:D It's vacation time! Be it a cruise, or a crossing - a fashion show it's not!

This thread is refreshing!!!! I rarely notice and really don't care as long as there is no shorts or tee-shirts in the dining room at night ever and a tie and halfway formal outfit on formal night. Now my standards for changing before dinner, trying not to repeat, and the right shoes for the outfit, is for me and me only. It makes me feel good and glad you don't notice what I wear.

I still take exception to the lady in the Lido for breakfast in her bathrobe. T-shirt, shorts, flip flops, and no bra would of been more accepable to me then a bathroom in a public place.

I still take exception to the lady in the Lido for breakfast in her bathrobe. T-shirt, shorts, flip flops, and no bra would of been more accepable to me then a bathroom in a public place.

Oops! I mean bathrobe not bathroom, however bathrobe is more presentable in bathroom then Lido. Talk about Fraudian Slip!

Yes always change for dinner..For our 17 day cruise(in 3 weeks) :) will take a long black dress, short black dress, 2 skirts & several pair of dress pants..I mix & match tops, jackets etc with these for formal/informal wear..The looks are always different with the mix & match..Have lots of casual outfits & a habit of over-packing..Many times come home with things I've never worn:o (Please don't tell my DH)..Going to make a concerted effort to cut down on this trip! ;) it's so hard to do! And have to cut back on my shoes:( as we'll be returning by air..

For daytime wear have several pairs of shorts/slacks & lots of tops, so also mix/match them..Anything to be dry cleaned only, will be done on our return..Don't trust my Delicates to the Cruise Line, but when cruising on HAL do use both self service & HAL"s laundry..

Never notice what others wear, unless I spot a gorgeous outfit!:cool:

I'm getting nervous ... RuthC, you did know I was teasing you, right???:) After all, I had just said I mix, match and repeat throughout my cruise.

I just got caught up on this thread and there's one thing that struck me as a little strange. While I do (on a cruise) change my clothes for dinner every night (with the exception of the first night) ... I never do this at home. I get up in the morning, shower and dress and that is it for the day. I do not change for dinner.

So I'm a little puzzled when someone says "yuck" if they see someone in the same clothes they wore during the day:o . If it's a "casual" night and the person has appropriate clothing on, what is wrong with wearing what they wore during the day? I wouldn't be offended at all by that.

Their clothes aren't "dirty". It might be they have returned from a tour quite late, have early dinner and just no time to change. I honestly can't see anything wrong with that at all no matter what their reason.

Truth be known, I probably wouldn't even notice unless they are just completely off "code" for dinner that night.

...but I try to never wear the same outfit twice on a cruise (except for my tuxedo, which I mix up w/ different ties, vests, cummerbunds, etc,...)

When I was about to board my last cruise, I greeted a friend in the terminal from a prior cruise who said "I remember that shirt from last year!"

I love that shirt, but what a way to be remembered! :eek:

I'm getting nervous ... RuthC, you did know I was teasing you, right???:)

You were? ;) Of course I knew that, Heather. :D

But, I'm the one who said "yuck" about not changing for the evening. I'll tell you why:

Beyond the fact that I see "evening" casual as something a little more put-together, or upscale than the typical "daytime" casual, there is the matter of what someone was up to all day.

Can we agree that for the most part we're talking about cruises to warm-weather ports, with sun and fun? I know when I'm out in the sun/humidity, or have gone to the beach, I need a shower after, and I don't want to get back in to clothes that are not fresh.

If someone wants to wear daytime clothes in the evening, how about cleaning up, then putting on what you plan to wear tomorrow. At least it's fresh.

Heather, you should have seen how one man was dressed every evening on my last (cold weather!) cruise. He was in shorts and a t-shirt most every day. And didn't change in the evening. No matter the dress code for the evening, either. He didn't look at all presentable.

For me.....part of my enjoyment of a cruise is showering and knowing I don't have to scrub the tub after myself. Using an extra towel or two each day and knowing I don't have to launder them. Our steward is taking care of us. Wearing a blouse once and knowing that our laundry/dry cleaning is included in our fare so I may (if I choose) send it out. (I send few of my clothes out but I know I can if I want. Almost all of DH's clothes are sent out. :) )

Part of my enjoyment is fussing a little more than our day to day at home so I look attractive for my husband. Just because we've been married for decades doesn't mean I don't still care how I appear for him. If I wore a nice pair of black slacks and a jersey all day on the ship or ashore, (hopefully) he knows that is what I was wearing and I can please him by putting on something fresh. Just something that we enjoy doing for eachother....I love to see him all cleaned up and looking fresh from the shower.

And if one looks attractive for one's mate or significant other or for someone you're meeting for the first time, it can only be a good thing. There's no down side to it IMO

Heather, you should have seen how one man was dressed every evening on my last (cold weather!) cruise. He was in shorts and a t-shirt most every day. And didn't change in the evening. No matter the dress code for the evening, either. He didn't look at all presentable.

Okay:D ... my turn YUCK!!!

I agree with both my pals here (Sail and Ruth) ... just trying to be extremely open minded. I, too, always enjoy my shower before dinner (in fact that's when I wash my hair for the day ... not in my a.m. shower). And as I said, I always change into something just a little more special than my daytime wear for dinner.

But I was just trying to be understanding of the person who, perhaps, might have dressed magnificently after arising, gone to the library to read and play a little Scrabble, perhaps enjoy the Trivia game or some such thing and then gone to early dinner. Just trying to say that while I think it's a rule of thumb to change, there might be circumstances where one might not need to.

See how nice I'm getting??? It's a whole new me.:)

I definately agree Ruth,

If I am on the beach all day or an excursion where I am getting sandy and salty and suntan lotion all over me ,then absolutely ,I need to shower before going to dinner be it casual formal or whatever

May I add another Yuck to the list *LOL*

Archived