Ladies: Do you wear the same outfit twice?

trubey

Add my "Yuck" to the list.

Heather, of course, has a point. If someone rolled out of their bed at 10:30, dressed in clean slacks and a nice shirt/blouse, decent shoes etc, had a leisurely lunch, read a book for a few hours, played a few games of scrabble and went for an early dinner, I don't see how anyone could object to her/him appearing that way on a casual night.

BUT, for those going to the beach, getting hot and sweaty walking laps on promenade, playing basketball and not bothering with a shower........frankly, they are outright offensive and I don't care to dine with them. Sorry. Who wants to put up with a person like that? Not me. I wouldn't at home; I won't on vacation. But.....I never have had to. Never been put in that position, thankfully.

There. You see? We all agree. Such a friendly thread ... I love it.

Although, Babyher, I'm getting a little turned on by your description of that rough and tumble, sandy, salty, gritty and suntan lotioned style at dinner. Hahahahaha .... I think you may even know how funny that is:D .

Ruth, you're too funny. Not to worry ... I am here. You know what they say about tigers and stripes, right?;)

Why Heather you make me blush :)

Perhaps sometime we could share a table for two on SilverSea or Seabourn after a long day at the beach *LOL*

Its funny though, I actually love the smell of Hawaiian Tropic suntan lotion. Its the gritty , sandy, salty, dirty part I could do without *LOL*

Thanks for all the help, everyone. And it has been a fun topic.

I've now got 15 tops (with some duplications of skirts and pants) sitting all over the couch. Now, I'll go through everything and check for loose buttons, unraveled hems, unexpected stains, etc. If anything needs dry cleaning or pressing, I'd prefer to have that done on the ship and not have to worry about the transport.

This is where I have to make a confession. When we moved here, 6 years ago, I gave away my iron because the electric voltage is different. I still haven't replaced it!

Now, my next problem is trying to remember where I "hid" my #2 formal dress. susana.

The best tip I have ever been given is:-

Lay out everything on the bed you intend to pack and then put half of it back in the wardrobe! lol It has always worked for me and I no longer break my husbands back carrying it!

Another tip is to roll clothes: It really does work particularly with slacks and trousers and takes up less room!

I also have a couple of reversible dresses, which are great especially if someone is wearing the same dress you can slip to the bathroom and reverse it round!

Who cares and who remembers if you where wearing the same outfit! Men get away with it why can't we!

. . .I also have a couple of reversible dresses, which are great especially if someone is wearing the same dress you can slip to the bathroom and reverse it round!

Who cares and who remembers if you where wearing the same outfit! Men get away with it why can't we!

I don't expect to find any reversible dresses quickly, but what are they like?

And, my dh thought the whole idea of my worrying about wearing the same clothes twice a "non-starter". I guess, no matter how liberated we think we are, we are still carrying around fashion baggage from our mothers. susana.

They would be two dresses cut on the same pattern, and done up in a light-weight fabric to prevent bulk; the materials used would be different, however.

Instead of a facing at the neckline the two dresses would be sown right-sides together, so that when they are turned right-side out the neckline would be finished. Depending on how well they are constructed there should be tacking (at least) at various points along the seams to prevent much shifting and bunching up. I would tack them at the shoulder, under arms, and at a place (or two) along the side seams. I would also probably blind-stitch the ends of the sleeves.

I hope this gives you the idea. I'm not a dress-maker, but I've seen reversable dresses.

And, my dh thought the whole idea of my worrying about wearing the same clothes twice a "non-starter". I guess, no matter how liberated we think we are, we are still carrying around fashion baggage from our mothers. susana.

Hi Trubey I think RuthC pretty much summed up the reversible dress, I bought three locally last year, then earlier this year saw them for sale in a RCCL onboard shop. Fortunately not the same patterns, they also come with matching scarves or you can change the look with a contrasting shawl! The other brill thing is they are uncreasable and can be washed and drip dried! Perfect for cruising!

On a 7-day cruise, I may repeat day time wear if there is a self-serve laundry or I have free laundry service. For casual nights, watch me as I walk in as you will see the same black dress pants but not the same top. For formal nights, I prefer to do one with the basic black and one with a more vibrant color - red is my favorite but bright blues and pinks come in second. Have only done 7-dayers but on an upcoming 14 day cruise there will be repeats or I need to go shopping!

I usually don't remember what other's wear. The only outfit I remember on a table mate wearing was a gorgous red dress on a 20 something who had the figure to wear it. She looked stunning.

As many of you who live in Southern Florida know, we don't often get a chance to "dress up" which is what I miss the most..Also like vibrant colors & change my tops over those basic black pants/skirts/dress, however would like an honest opinion from the ladies only..Men including my DH always say it's OK..

Have a plain, Ankle length "Jessica Howard" short sleve, red dress, with a self tie belt in the back..It's in a plain basic material (not chiffony) & has a simple adornment of 9 black beaded bows on the bodice front..Have only worn the dress to our club dinner/dance around the Holidays, & once on a December Cruise..

Would love to wear it at other times, such as a formal night on the Prinsendam Amazon Cruise next April..If it were a short dress & didn't have the beading it would be considered a nice cocktail party/theater dress...Now my dilemma..Wonder if it would look too "wintry" for that cruise..:confused: I sometimes tire of the "basic black"..

Also pack too much & insist that on the next trip will pack half that amount..It never seems to work, because I have so many cruise outfits & want to take them all with shoes to match:o .. Know that I can't use this on our Nov. 5, cruise on the "Crown" because NCL does not have that many optional formal nights..Your opinions would really be appreciated..

Thanks all & Happy Cruising..

Betty

I remember having some reversible clothing as a kid, but I really can't remember what the item(s) was(were).

But, if you think about it, if you really have two dresses sewn into one, isn't that really the same in packing space and weight as two un-lined dresses.

We have important issues to discuss here. susana.

Susana...Go to: travelsmith.com

where you will find any number of reversable dresses, skirts & tops..They are wonderful & come in regular & petite sizes..

Happy cruising all..:)

where you will find any number of reversable dresses, skirts & tops..They are wonderful & come in regular & petite sizes..

Even after all the cruising we have done we still come home with plenty of clothes that were never even touched. You'd think I'd learn... I absolutely would wear the same outfit twice...I figure 50% of the population on the ship must be men. They won't remember what I was wearing 5 minutes after they see me let alone 24 hours after. I don't worry about the other 50% of the population...they'll be too worried about what they are wearing, if they look fat in it, and what their husband said to them as they left the cabin.

Besides...if you underpack and you find that you need something that you don't have...oh darn...guess I have to go buy a new dress.:D

Hi Trubey

Like you I also live on an Island and sometimes shopping is limited.

Check out ebay.co.uk they have some very nice reversible dresses in various colours! You can pay by paypal and goods are normally with you in days! I have even bought from US and China and item has only taken 5 days to arrive!

These dresses are so light, you could fit one in your handbag

Hello!

I loved the lady who changes into Jammies! funny!!

as to the changing of outfits.. I too have all cruise wear already in zip's ready to go. I have always brought 2 formals for each cruise, and never worn them previously on a cruise. This year will be different. I gained weight and refuse to buy anything .. bah humbug.. ; )

but do I notice.. well up till 7 years ago, when I started to follow zydedo music, I really never noticed unless it was either so flattering or not. But in the zyde community there was a lady who wore the same outfits over and over again, from one festival, cruise to another.. by the 4th year, it seemed like you could take her pix like a Coney Island cut out.. and put it in a different location or have different people stand next to her. At first it seemed amusing. .. but then I thought, I would never want to make someone feel bad about their limited budgets so... I changed my focus.. Now I look to see what shoes, what jewelry .. hairstyles.. but those things really help me in looking better for myself. It is not always easy to see yourself.

If I was with a friend, and saw a hairstyle that looked good and easy to care for.. I would say, hey Think I could do that? or if the person had really Kewl shoes, I would be aching to go over and find out ..Where did you get them? Comfort AND style??

or jewelry. I don't take anything with real anything in it for a cruise just in case.. so "Costume" jewelry interests me.. I still want to look good, and Cruise Critics and cruising has done alot to help me achieve that confidence!!

Hello!

as to the changing of outfits.. I too have all cruise wear already in zip's ready to go. I have always brought 2 formals for each cruise, and never worn them previously on a cruise. This year will be different. I gained weight and refuse to buy anything .. bah humbug.. ; )

but do I notice.. well up till 7 years ago, when I started to follow zydedo music, I really never noticed unless it was either so flattering or not. But in the zyde community there was a lady who wore the same outfits over and over again, from one festival, cruise to another.. by the 4th year, it seemed like you could take her pix like a Coney Island cut out.. and put it in a different location or have different people stand next to her. At first it seemed amusing. .. but then I thought, I would never want to make someone feel bad about their limited budgets so... I changed my focus.. Now I look to see what shoes, what jewelry .. hairstyles.. but those things really help me in looking better for myself. It is not always easy to see yourself.

If I was with a friend, and saw a hairstyle that looked good and easy to care for.. I would say, hey Think I could do that? or if the person had really Kewl shoes, I would be aching to go over and find out ..Where did you get them? Comfort AND style??

or jewelry. I don't take anything with real anything in it for a cruise just in case.. so "Costume" jewelry interests me.. I still want to look good, and Cruise Critics and cruising has done alot to help me achieve that confidence!!

Hello!

Hello!

Hello!

Hello!

Archived