Concierge canapés

DaisyFire

Im sailing this weekend on a 17 day Trans Atlantic on Reflection. As I have before, after the first day or two, I usually have a feeling for the cabin attendant. Yes, I understand they are required to provide us with excellent service, but I also have wonderful memories of those individuals that went "above and beyond" caring for their guest.

If I get a good vibe, I take the individual aside and give them an advanced tip, usually $50. You can call this what you want, but it's a cheap investment considering the cost of the trip. These people work 7 month contracts, usually on a 7 day work week. Personally I still don't know how they keep their positive attitude, especially considering some of the attitudes from passengers they have to deal with. A little tip up front after a day or two has always paid off for me.

I have great respect for the crew and their care overall. And I always go out of my way to tell them that !! In addition, I seek out the hotel manager and make sure that an outstanding crew member that has assisted me is recognized.

We had a concierge cabin on Millennium and received 3 apples which stayed on the table for the entire cruise.:( Sailing out of Singapore - they may not get the canape thing , although we didnt care anyway - still put on the usual 5 cruise kilos.:eek:

Our experience was that there was a slip in the "Today" handout that we received each night for the following day. You used this form to indicate whether or not you wanted the canapés and what time you wanted them the following day. They asked for you to leave this out for them in the morning if you wanted canapés. If you did not fill out the slip, you did not get the canapés. (Except for the first day - where they were set out automatically since we wouldn't have had an opportunity to fill out the form.)

I gave up on the afternoon canapés a long time ago. Afternoon tea comes up in the buffet at 4.00pm and the fare leaves the crap served up as canapés for dead. If we are peckish in the afternoon we go there. Rarely though with the amount of food served up during the day do we need something at 4.00pm

A few months ago in Eclipse we had Concierge cabin

We asked for cheese plates (they also had crackers and grapes) every afternoon in exchange for canapés and also a bucket of ice.

They were provided. We didn't tip additional upfront, just at the end of the cruise although we did give cash (a few $) each time we had breakfast room service -- loved that expanded menu.