Noordam Auckland-Sydney

jmps

Here are my thoughts from the March 12 Noordam sailing from Auckland to Sydney.

Overall, the cruise experience was wonderful. The Noordam crew seemed happy and gave great service. The ship is in very good condition. They were using the late night to replace carpeting in the public areas. The only service issue we had was when calling from the room for service (e.g. laundry pickup) the phone would not be answered at times.

This is the first cruise for us since HAL made some Lido changes. Having drinks brought to your table makes for a MUCH better experience with not having to run back for drinks in a crowded Lido. Having the salads prepared for you works well. You just have to tell them amounts of ingredients. The pre-made sandwiches were good with an OK assortment. However, I would recommend that they make the condiments (e.g. mustard, mayo) for them available instead of pre-applied. This is the one change that needs some rethought.

The main dining food was good and sometimes excellent. The only issue was food that wasn't hot the first day but that was fixed. The prime rib was very good but the strip steak was only OK. Soups were very good. We ate a Le Cirque for the first time and enjoyed it. Service was excellent as usual in the Pinnacle. The food was very good but will stick to the regular Pinnacle menu in the future given the extra cost.

We sat at a table for eight in second seating. I don't know how they choose table mates but they did a GREAT job this time. We really hit it off and had a wonderful time with these wonderful people. We looked forward to getting together each evening and closed the place each night.

We had a well attended Meet and Greet and met some very nice fellow CCers. It is so nice of HAL to host these events. No ship staff/officers attended.

The cruise was very port intensive at the start. We did not do any HAL tours but were told by those that did that the process to get the tours going was very smooth and well organized. The ship singer/dancer shows were more modern than before and the young members very talented. The other shows were mixed and seemed to be where costs were saved. The ventriloquist was funny even with the "standard" cruise jokes and the mentalist interesting.

I would certainly recommend the Noordam for a future cruise.

Edited by jmps

Here are my thoughts from the March 12 Noordam sailing from Auckland to Sydney.

Overall, the cruise experience was wonderful. The Noordam crew seemed happy and gave great service. The ship is in very good condition. They were using the late night to replace carpeting in the public areas. The only service issue we had was when calling from the room for service (e.g. laundry pickup) the phone would not be answered at times.

This is the first cruise for us since HAL made some Lido changes. Having drinks brought to your table makes for a MUCH better experience with not having to run back for drinks in a crowded Lido. Having the salads prepared for you works well. You just have to tell them amounts of ingredients. The pre-made sandwiches were good with an OK assortment. However, I would recommend that they make the condiments (e.g. mustard, mayo) for them available instead of pre-applied. This is the one change that needs some rethought.

The main dining food was good and sometimes excellent. The only issue was food that wasn't hot the first day but that was fixed. The prime rib was very good but the strip steak was only OK. Soups were very good. We ate a Le Cirque for the first time and enjoyed it. Service was excellent as usual in the Pinnacle. The food was very good but will stick to the regular Pinnacle menu in the future given the extra cost.

We sat at a table for eight in second seating. I don't know how they choose table mates but they did a GREAT job this time. We really hit it off and had a wonderful time with these wonderful people. We looked forward to getting together each evening and closed the place each night.

We had a well attended Meet and Greet and met some very nice fellow CCers. It is so nice of HAL to host these events. No ship staff/officers attended.

The cruise was very port intensive at the start. We did not do any HAL tours but were told by those that did that the process to get the tours going was very smooth and well organized. The ship singer/dancer shows were more modern than before and the young members very talented. The other shows were mixed and seemed to be where costs were saved. The ventriloquist was funny even with the "standard" cruise jokes and the mentalist interesting.

I would certainly recommend the Noordam for a future cruise.

I fully agree with your above assessment. I loved the ports in New Zealand. And we had fabulous table mates. Did you make the Easter service at the Opera House in Sydney? We were too far to walk, and couldn't get a cab or bus at that time.

I fully agree with your above assessment. I loved the ports in New Zealand. And we had fabulous table mates. Did you make the Easter service at the Opera House in Sydney? We were too far to walk, and couldn't get a cab or bus at that time.

We did make the Easter Service at the Opera House. We took the train to Circular Quay at 5AM (two stops). It was neat seeing that area when it was deserted. The service was good and it turned out to be broadcast across the Australia and the Pacific. We hope to see you again cruising sometime.

Edited by jmps

Thank you for commenting on your Noordam cruise.

What did you do at the Ports of Call?

Tauranga - Went to Rotorua on a tour with Hinterland Tours

Napier - Used the Art Deco Trust architecture tour in a 1939 Packard

Wellington - Tepa Museum and Botanical Gardens (cab up/walk down) self tour.

Akora - walked around. Ate oysters and bought some sheepskin slippers

Dunedin - used the I site to book a bus tour of the city with Good Company

Hobart - Took a tour to Bonorong Animal Sanctuary and Mt. Field National Park with Judy of Eye See Tours

Melbourne - Used the tram/bus system to tour the city (gardens, lunch, churches, etc.) There is a $NZ10 "visitor hop on/off" bus we used.

We enjoyed all the tours and were happy with our choices.

Edited by jmps

Tauranga - Went to Rotorua on a tour with Hinterland Tours

Napier - Used the Art Deco Trust architecture tour in a 1939 Packard

Wellington - Tepa Museum and Botanical Gardens (cab up/walk down) self tour.

Akora - walked around. Ate oysters and bought some sheepskin slippers

Dunedin - used the I site to book a bus tour of the city with Good Company

Hobart - Took a tour to Bonorong Animal Sanctuary and Mt. Field National Park with Judy of Eye See Tours

Melbourne - Used the tram/bus system to tour the city (gardens, lunch, churches, etc.) There is a $NZ10 "visitor hop on/off" bus we used.

We enjoyed all the tours and were happy with our choices.

Thank you for your reply.

Did you walk up to the Giant's House in Akaroa?

Sounds like you enjoyed your visit to our little country.(NZ).

Thank you for your reply.

Did you walk up to the Giant's House in Akaroa?

Sounds like you enjoyed your visit to our little country.(NZ).

We did not go to the Giant's House.

We LOVED New Zealand. Prior to the cruise we did a drive tour including some hiking around Mt. Cook, explored Queenstown, and spent a few days along the coast near Waipu. It was a good balance to the coastal cruise to follow.

We did not go to the Giant's House.

We LOVED New Zealand. Prior to the cruise we did a drive tour including some hiking around Mt. Cook, explored Queenstown, and spent a few days along the coast near Waipu. It was a good balance to the coastal cruise to follow.

Hope you will return for another visit in the future.:)