Preparing for Eastern Caribbean June 2016

Hi All,

My group of 6 passengers, all 18+ will be taking a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean in late June 2016. Any tips on preparing. I am seeing that people say to reserve tickets for shows prior to departing, how do we do that? Also, for excursions - any advice on the best activities by destination?

We have cruised before with Norwegian and Carnival, but this will be our first cruise with Royal Caribbean.

In summary, here are my questions:

- Best activities/excursions by destination.

- What is formal night like, I see there are two formal nights, do we really need to dress up as if we are going to a gala?

- What does "My Time" dining mean and do we have to stick with it? Never experienced a set time to eat on previous cruises.

- should we arrive the day before the cruise leaves or would arriving on the exact day be ok? We are coming from California.

- if we do arrive the day before and stay at a hotel, would you know the cost of the taxi rides to the cruise port?

- if there are any tid bits of advise or tips that I am missing, I would really appreciate it. Any tips would be very helpful.

Lastly, should I be concerned about safety on any of the islands?

Thanks so much for your help.

Hi All,

My group of 6 passengers, all 18+ will be taking a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean in late June 2016. Any tips on preparing. I am seeing that people say to reserve tickets for shows prior to departing, how do we do that? Also, for excursions - any advice on the best activities by destination?

We have cruised before with Norwegian and Carnival, but this will be our first cruise with Royal Caribbean.

In summary, here are my questions:

- Best activities/excursions by destination.

- What is formal night like, I see there are two formal nights, do we really need to dress up as if we are going to a gala?

- What does "My Time" dining mean and do we have to stick with it? Never experienced a set time to eat on previous cruises.

- should we arrive the day before the cruise leaves or would arriving on the exact day be ok? We are coming from California.

- if we do arrive the day before and stay at a hotel, would you know the cost of the taxi rides to the cruise port?

- if there are any tid bits of advise or tips that I am missing, I would really appreciate it. Any tips would be very helpful.

Lastly, should I be concerned about safety on any of the islands?

Thanks so much for your help.

Congrats on your first RCCL cruise....help us out a little. What ship and what Islands?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

It would help to know what ship you are cruising on.

If you are on Oasis or Allure, then I highly recommend that you reserve your entertainment in advance, especially the comedy show as that is a small venue. You would do this in your Cruise Planner, which you can access here:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/asr/login.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=3&snav=3

With My Time Dining, you can make a reservation for dinner, or just show up, your choice.

I recommend you arrive at least one day before the cruise.

Hi There,

Thank you for your quick response. We will be on Allure of the Seas, deck 14.

Do you know how far the hotels are from the embarkation?

Thanks!

There are many hotels very near the cruise port. I would take a look at the Florida Departures forum for many good ideas on hotels new Port Everglades:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=672

I'd fly in the night before and stay in a hotel. Some of the hotels have made arrangements for shuttle service to the airport. We've gotten a shared shuttle for as low as $6 per person.

We prefer to stay in the Renaissance Cruise port (across from the cruise port). We also found a Walgreens right across the street from the hotel for supplies. The Renaissance was very helpful when I got off the ship w/ a bad case of bronchitis.

All taxi rides are outrageous! And many charge an extra person fee! We took a taxi in Quebec that charged by the minute. Our bill was over $30 for only a few miles, because of bad traffic. They're pretty consistently pricy, but at least you get an exclusive. With six, you may also check into booking your own private shuttle. We spent $30+ driving to the Fairfield. Airport, only a few minutes away is $15-25. You can also check w/ concierge to see if they can set something up. Renaissance's web page has some estimated taxi fares from Airport to Hotel. No shuttle for Renaissance, but other hotels offer shuttle rides.

St. Kitts has a good train excursion. San Juan has some nice forts and churches.

We do shore excursions through the cruise lines almost exclusively, because if the tour is late returning, the ship will wait for you.

Bring bug repellent, and bring your cruise compass ashore w/ you. It has port authority information in case you get stuck, and also has the all aboard time listed as well.

We're also passport people. If you have to fly back to the states, you'll need a passport to return.

Get your ice skating show tickets the first day.

About 60% of the people dress up for Formal Night. It's more about getting the formal portraits, which is a great souvenir for the first time cruiser.

Take about $100 in singles for tips. We tip porters, bell hops, taxi drivers, room service, etc. For taxis and shuttles, we set aside the estimated fare and keep it in the safe.

Luggage delivery usually arrives between muster drill and dinner. But it's been into the evening a few times.

Edited by knittinggirl

Awesome tips.

You mentioned there is a Walgreens across the street, do you know if we can bring bottled water on to the ship or if there is a bottled water package onboard?

For the excursions, do you bring snacks from the ship or do you have packaged snacks such as chips or beef jerky.

I believe our ports are San Juan, St. Marteen, and Labadee...only three stops. I hear that Labadee is also known as "Coco Cay" and is RC own private little beach front, I am not hearing too much about San Juan and St. Marteen besides the regular walking around the town. Are there any other attractions besides seeing the town and shopping for knick knacks? Since I will be there in late June, I have a feeling it will most likely be hot and humid, I am trying to get a clearer picture to see if it is worth getting off the ship.

Also - do you have any tips for quiet pool areas?

Thanks so much!

There is a bottled water package.

Labadee and Coco Cay are two different places. Royal has two "private islands". Coco Cay is in the Bahamas. Labadee is a small area on the north coast of Haiti. It is a very pretty place. Check the Ports of Call board for St. Martaan for info about touring with Bernard. His tour is a great choice for a first visit to that island. He leaves time for shopping. Tour the forts in San Juan. It is definitely worth getting off the ship.

You can't take any food except pre packaged snacks off the ship.

We took the eastern Caribbean cruise on Freedom last month. No safety issues unless you consider the crazy but effective way the locals in St Thomas drive around mountain corners: step on gas, honk horn. Works for them though.

St Thomas. Take the open air bus tour to Mountaintop for stunning views.

St Martin take a private taxi for about $50 to see the island. Or take the water taxi into Phillipsburg for good shopping. Antonia's restaurant is right on the water with excellent French and Italian food,

Slacks and a collar shirt are fine on formal night. No flip flops.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by 2CatsInFlorida

• 1 month later...