Canada/New England Shore Excursion Advice

Sauna4me

Hello Everyone,

My family and I, including my 87 year old Mom, will be taking a Canada/New England cruise in July. I have been studying Holland America's shore excursion information on their website. Frankly, there isn't a whole lot of tour options for Mom who cannot walk very far and fast. i also find the tour descriptions not very helpful in describing activity level. :rolleyes: In other words, are the described activity levels accurate? I know I should be calling Holland America. Should I be looking for independent tours? Mom will be traveling with a wheelchair, and i am particularly worried about Quebec City. Any tips or suggestions would be helpful. Thank you! :)

Hello Everyone,

My family and I, including my 87 year old Mom, will be taking a Canada/New England cruise in July. I have been studying Holland America's shore excursion information on their website. Frankly, there isn't a whole lot of tour options for Mom who cannot walk very far and fast. i also find the tour descriptions not very helpful in describing activity level. :rolleyes: In other words, are the described activity levels accurate? I know I should be calling Holland America. Should I be looking for independent tours? Mom will be traveling with a wheelchair, and i am particularly worried about Quebec City. Any tips or suggestions would be helpful. Thank you! :)

I would definitely address your concerns about HAL shorex directly with the shorex department. They can provide much more information as to how many steps/stairs/rocky terrain, etc. than we can provide here without knowing the extent of your mother's mobility issues. I would also look at private shore excursions as we have found that small vans can get much closer to entrances than big buses that HAL might use. Hopefully, between ship and private tours, your mother can be accommodated.

I can't help you with Quebec City as we just walked around. In PEI and Halifax, we did go with private tour guides and had wonderful days with them. In PEI, we used Bill Murray of Take the Island Adventure tours (http://taketheislandadventuretours.webs.com/) and in Halifax, we went with Brian Allen of Brian's Taxi Tours (http://www.brianstaxitours.com/). Both were very responsive and very good. I don't know if either can accommodate someone in a wheelchair but they should be able to if your mother does not require a wheelchair accessible vehicle.

Edited by Alberta Quilter