P&O New Build for Australia in 2019

The original repositioning cruise was practically sold out.

The original repositioning cruise was still part of the holiday season so more available to families and children. The new repositioning cruise timing is entirely outside that so lost that market.

Look at how quickly the replacement January cruises have been booked up, and are already sold out. It's a matter of timing, not a matter of popularity.

That isn't surprising, and isn't a case of not doing well either. Feb and Mar are off peak periods and sailings often have availability there - especially when they're one way. Look at the crazy cheap prices that the Princess cruises from Asia to Australia have sold at.

The early cruises sold well because they were so limited, yet offered so much more, so were expected to do well. You had lots of demand squeeze into a very limited supply - and over the peak holiday period no less!

What RCL is doing is comparing against the returns they get from where they would otherwise be in China. That period is still Winter so also off-peak and prices come down a lot there.

They are still getting a much better return from sailing here than they would there, which is what counts to them. Prices coming down a bit from already high prices isn't a big deal; compared to the relative revenue return across the fleet, and at original deployment location, it's still a very good earner.

The timing is irrelevant for the first couple of cruises since they take place during the original relocation cruise. That cruise was pretty much sold out and the ones in its exact spot as still fairly open for bookings.

It wasn't so much as saying it is not doing well but not well enough to justify having a new ship of such large capacity here year round.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

The Ovation is too big to tender efficiently so that limits itineraries considerably, especially for the South Pacific.

Just an idle thought, but wouldn't this be an excellent area to direct our foreign aid dollars? Building port infrastructure around the Pacific islands capable of handling large ships.

We get to travel to exotic locations and the locals get the trade and tourism that the ships generate. Win, win.

Although they should start with Sydney and Brisbane first.:rolleyes:

The timing is irrelevant for the first couple of cruises since they take place during the original relocation cruise. That cruise was pretty much sold out and the ones in its exact spot as still fairly open for bookings.

Actually, that's what I pointed out - they're not. The replacement cruises are sold out; first cruise with some availability is 28th Jan when she was leaving and after the holidays.

It wasn't so much as saying it is not doing well but not well enough to justify having a new ship of such large capacity here year round.

Yeah, that's what the P&O announcement said and I can see the rationale. But I don't believe that assessment is made primarily on Ovation.

Actually, that's what I pointed out - they're not. The replacement cruises are sold out; first cruise with some availability is 28th Jan when she was leaving and after the holidays.

Yeah, that's what the P&O announcement said and I can see the rationale. But I don't believe that assessment is made primarily on Ovation.

The 28th one is more what I was basing it on, since it more aligns with the original relocation cruise.

I don't believe it was only based on the Ovation but the Ovation being the final push for them to change their minds.

Just an idle thought, but wouldn't this be an excellent area to direct our foreign aid dollars? Building port infrastructure around the Pacific islands capable of handling large ships.

We get to travel to exotic locations and the locals get the trade and tourism that the ships generate. Win, win.

Can't see it happening but certainly put a submission in.:p

That is what cruise lines should be doing with all their profits but neither Carnival or Royal Caribbean will do that as they will not be happy to let the competition benefit from donations they make to make ports better.

Well technically both companies have done improvements in the ports. P&O has set up a lot of the ports to allow for cruises to be possible, noticeable in Isle of pines and mystery island. Royal recently partly paid for Port Vila to be upgrade to allow for the Voyager and above to enter the Port.