taxis in Brisbane????

I have been trying to find out about taxi availability in Brisbane. We will be docking at Portlands in November.... on a Sunday.... and I'm trying to find out if there will be taxis readily available at the cruise terminal or if we have to book in advance? (to visit Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary)

Can anyone provide me with accurate information?

(Tourist information office AND Portlands have both ignored my inquiries.)

Depending on your time in port, you can catch a ferry close to Portside to the City, then catch the boat to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary.

If you will be short on time, I'd recommend that you book a taxi to take you from Portside to the city to catch the ferry (pretty river trip) or to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary direct.

You can phone and book early on the day.

http://blackandwhitecabs.com.au/brisbane/home

or

http://www.yellowcab.com.au/

PS I loved your beautiful part of Canada so much, I bought a book on the boat houses on the lakes as a souvenir.

Edited by MMDown Under

The ship will also run a shuttle into Brisbane. You could take that and then catch a taxi , take a local bus, or cruise up the river on the Miramar tourist boat.

http://www.mirimar.com/site/daily-cruises/

Note tickets can be purchased on the boat on the day -

Schedule of times

Every day except Chistmas Day and ANZAC Day.

Departs Cultural Centre Pontoon 10.00am

Arrive Lone Pine 11.15am

Depart Lone Pine 1.45pm

Arrive Cultural Centre Pontoon 3.00pm

Yes Uber is in Brisbane and yes it is illegal but we still use it. Much cheaper than taxis and much better service

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you. I have been wanting to try Uber as I pay a fortune for a taxi to and from the airport. Can you arrange for them to pick you up at the airport?

I have been trying to find out about taxi availability in Brisbane. We will be docking at Portlands in November.... on a Sunday.... and I'm trying to find out if there will be taxis readily available at the cruise terminal or if we have to book in advance? (to visit Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary)

Can anyone provide me with accurate information?

(Tourist information office AND Portlands have both ignored my inquiries.)

To answer your direct question - yes there will be taxis available at Portside - even on a Sunday. I am not sure what it will cost you - according to Google Maps it is almost 20kms and 30+ minutes to get there. Others have suggested a ferry and that is the only ferry that goes to Lone Pine. Worth investigating. At least you would have an exact idea on fares that way.

We are scheduled to arrive at portside at 7:00 a.m. and depart at 3:00 p.m. I had planned to use the ferries both ways but it's too difficult a schedule, assuming we would spend about 2 and 1/2 hours at Lone Pine.

I looked up the taxi rates and it appears a taxi will cost us $50-55 each way, so it's still cheaper than the ship's excursion, assuming we share with another couple.

Thanks, 'MMDown Under' for your lovely comments about Muskoka. The Muskoka Lakes "cottages" (I call them mansions) and their boathouses are truly wonderful, as are the fabulous restored wooden boats contained in many of them.

'Cabansail' - no, we don't plan to cuddle a koala. Your comment makes me concerned that we should maybe reconsider a visit to Lone Pine...?

More comments and suggestions welcome!

Anyone having a port stop in Brisbane please be aware there are 2 ports, one evidently nice and close to the city with easy transport options.

The other which is at the grain terminal on fishermans island is way out in the "sticks", Unfortunately both times we have had a day stop in Brisbane it has been at the grain terminal so we didnt even bother going into brisbane.

We were on QM2 and boarded in brisbane on march 13th, I did lots of research and prebooked a motel the night prior nearby. One poor lady also flew to brisbane the night before and her TA booked her into a hotel near the departure port but unfortunately not the right port. Poor lady had a very expensive taxi ride the next day to the right terminal plus much more expensive hotel costs.

'Cabansail' - no, we don't plan to cuddle a koala. Your comment makes me concerned that we should maybe reconsider a visit to Lone Pine...?

More comments and suggestions welcome!

Tourists cuddling koalas used to be widespread. It was then found that doing this was very stressful to the animals and their lifespans were shortened.

The practice was made illegal in all states except Queensland. They put the tourist trade before animal welfare.

The other which is at the grain terminal on fishermans island is way out in the "sticks", Unfortunately both times we have had a day stop in Brisbane it has been at the grain terminal so we didnt even bother going into brisbane.

We were on QM2 and boarded in brisbane on march 13th, I did lots of research and prebooked a motel the night prior nearby. One poor lady also flew to brisbane the night before and her TA booked her into a hotel near the departure port but unfortunately not the right port. Poor lady had a very expensive taxi ride the next day to the right terminal plus much more expensive hotel costs.

I doubt there are any hotels in the vicinity of the other port in any case.

It is really remote and isolated, aside from industry and quiet suburban.

We stayed at the Anchor motel in wynnum. Very reasonable at $139 per night, absolutely top level managers, not a fancy hotel but the old family friendly motel, spotlessly clean, better than some 5 star hotels I have stayed in. Our group of 12 stayed in 6 rooms, some ordered breakfast which we were able to sit outside around the pool in the bbq area and eat. it was a great bonding time for many who had never met. Taxi from airport to the motel was $55 and from motel to terminal in a maxi taxi was $60. The motel do have a 4 person airport transfer at the cost of $40 total but only til about 7pm and we had a very late arrival of 10.30pm. Location was just wonderful, quite and a 30 second walk to the water not swimming beach but water. Hearing the birds early in the morning was just magical. The groups who arrived earlier in the day took a free shuttle to one of the local clubs for dinner, all arranged by the managers.

Edited by Tara Jane

We are scheduled to arrive at portside at 7:00 a.m. and depart at 3:00 p.m. I had planned to use the ferries both ways but it's too difficult a schedule, assuming we would spend about 2 and 1/2 hours at Lone Pine.

I looked up the taxi rates and it appears a taxi will cost us $50-55 each way, so it's still cheaper than the ship's excursion, assuming we share with another couple.

!

If you decide to visit Lone Pine Sanctuary, sharing a taxi with another couple will be your best option, as departure at 3.00 pm. will probably mean boarding at 2.00 pm.

If you decide against Lone Pine Sanctuary, you can catch a scenic ferry from close to Portside in to the city - Southbank, Art Galleries, Museum, walk across the bridge into CBD and visit the Town Hall, Brisbane Museum, and the Clock Tower, which used to be the tallest building in Brisbane. Or you can walk across the pedestrian bridge from Southbank in to the Botanical Gardens and visit the Old Government House and QUT with its interesting Cube. If you wish to shop, Brisbane has a vibrant mall in the middle of the city.