Wine Tour Company Adelaine

PG13

I want to go on a wine tour in Adelaine, I've searched this forum and fine it only a bit helpful. I'm hoping for something more specific. I've gone to TripAdvisor and read reviews and think I like "Groovy Grape Barossa". They have a seal of excellence, whatever that says about them. Usually there are lots of folks with opinions on these things. So, how about it? Anyone done this with this company?? I don't see any cruisers reviewing this company. The time frame is tight. I have e-mailed them. What company have you used? As usually I worry about getting to the ship on time, but sometimes the best is done independently. Who's done independant and how'd it work out.

Thank you for your help. Pat

Pat

Don't know if your spell check went haywire but its Adelaide :D

Looked at Groovy Grape - standard tour, you get a good glimpse of the Adelaide Hills, then onto the Barossa through the backroads. However two of the wineries mentioned are big commercial wineries. So if you are a wine aficionado the wine tastings will only be so-so but the wineries are set up for tourists.

I can't recommend a tour company as we live close to several Adelaide wine regions and just visit by car, never done a tour. However may I suggest that you look at a different region, McLaren Vale. The wineries there are more boutique, the right tour will pass you through Adelaide, you will see some good coastal scenery and you might even do one that includes a trip to Cleland Wildlife Park.

Nevertheless Groovy Grape have a good reputation on Trip Advisor. Keep in mind the time of year you are travelling as in the middle of our summer it can be very hot and dry and in our winter from April to October all the grape vines will be bare of leaves.

Pat, when we toured Australia and New Zealand last year I also found Trip Advisor to be an excellent source for identifying tours including several wine tours. We didn't do one in Adelaide so I can't give you a recommendation.

Keith

Not so much a spell check issue as a finger issue, plus I type things then read what I meant to say and not what is actually on the page sometimes. And, sometimes I ignore spell check as it doesn't always like proper names. SHouldn't have this time. :(

Groovy Grape got back with me and they do not have a tour to fit our cruise time frame. I am not a wine aficionado, but really enjoyed the different wine we tried in Greece and Italy, the tours were a fun experience and tasty, plus you got a tour of some nice scenery and learned about the area.

I'm not fussy where I go it's just that our port is Adelaide and I didn't want to take the cruise wine tour, I was hoping for a smaller tour group.

So, I have time yet I'll have to look some more. Thank you. Pat

Pat

Don't know if your spell check went haywire but its Adelaide :D

Looked at Groovy Grape - standard tour, you get a good glimpse of the Adelaide Hills, then onto the Barossa through the backroads. However two of the wineries mentioned are big commercial wineries. So if you are a wine aficionado the wine tastings will only be so-so but the wineries are set up for tourists.

I can't recommend a tour company as we live close to several Adelaide wine regions and just visit by car, never done a tour. However may I suggest that you look at a different region, McLaren Vale. The wineries there are more boutique, the right tour will pass you through Adelaide, you will see some good coastal scenery and you might even do one that includes a trip to Cleland Wildlife Park.

Nevertheless Groovy Grape have a good reputation on Trip Advisor. Keep in mind the time of year you are travelling as in the middle of our summer it can be very hot and dry and in our winter from April to October all the grape vines will be bare of leaves.

Did you go on a wine tasting tour and which port?

Pat, when we toured Australia and New Zealand last year I also found Trip Advisor to be an excellent source for identifying tours including several wine tours. We didn't do one in Adelaide so I can't give you a recommendation.

Keith

Hi Pat.

We also live in Adelaide so never done a wine tour other than by car. Looked up done yours McLaren Vale and found this company with excellent reviews. I'd give them an email and see how you go. This is one you could tailor to your time in port.

Cheers Wendy

Check out Top Notch Wine Tours on TripAdvisor

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g255093-d7043714-Reviews-Top_Notch_Wine_Tours-Adelaide_Greater_Adelaide_South_Australia.html?m=19904

I ended up with Top Food and Wine tours, they had 5 stars and the Award of Excellence and they are doing small group tour for cruise ship passengers. Several I contacted from Tripadvisor(Premium included) didn't want to accommodate cruise passengers. So I'm excited about this.

 Pick-up from Cruise Ship Terminal

 All Transportation to and from Barossa Valley

 Inclusive informative narration from friendly driver/guide

 Regional Platter lunch including wine

 Four (4) cellar doors / attractions (May include: Schild Estate, Chateau Yaldara, St Hallet, Peter Lehmann, Grant Burge or Basedow ) Subject to availability on the day that.

They claim these are smaller boutique wineries, I really wouldn't know.

Thank you everyone.

Pat

Another one worth considering with. 125 excellent reviews.

Wendy

Check out Premium Wine Tours by Scott Ninnis on TripAdvisor

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g255093-d3398761-Reviews-

Premium_Wine_Tours_by_Scott_Ninnis-Adelaide_Greater_Adelaide_South_Australia.html?m=19904

Pat, you have a lovely variety of wineries there, yes boutique rather than giants except Chateau Yaldara which is o w of the beautiful old estates. You'll love it.

My daughter and I are visiting Adelaide for a fortnight in September and plan to visit some wineries. As we will be in a hire car, would these be the wineries you would recommend visiting by car? Any other region?

Off Topic - How did your trip on the Fram go? Did you have smooth seas and good weather?

Hi Marion, yes we had a fabulous trip, smooth seas inc Drake Passage which was good. Wonderful landings 12 in all, and all fantastic. Loved the ship and are now planning the Greenland, Iceland and Spitsbergen one in the next couple of years. Thanks for all your help in planning for clothing too as we were so unsure. Did well with packing the right gear and because it was mainly 2-6C in Antarctica and 11C in Falklands, we were able to utilise our silk as well as wool thermals so great suggestion to have both.

Yes the wineries named are lovely depends on whether you like reds or whites but most have a variety of both. If you're driving though, remember that one of you wont be able to drive as they are hot on drink/ driving over here. 0.5 is the limit! But you can taste then spit!! Also try McLaren Vale of Adelaide Hills as they also have wonderful wineries. Adelaide Hills is a bit more cooler climate than the others as its in the hills above Adelaide, but all are very good. Cheers, Wendy

Hi Marion, yes we had a fabulous trip, smooth seas inc Drake Passage which was good. Wonderful landings 12 in all, and all fantastic. Loved the ship and are now planning the Greenland, Iceland and Spitsbergen one in the next couple of years. Thanks for all your help in planning for clothing too as we were so unsure. Did well with packing the right gear and because it was mainly 2-6C in Antarctica and 11C in Falklands, we were able to utilise our silk as well as wool thermals so great suggestion to have both.

Yes the wineries named are lovely depends on whether you like reds or whites but most have a variety of both. If you're driving though, remember that one of you wont be able to drive as they are hot on drink/ driving over here. 0.5 is the limit! But you can taste then spit!! Also try McLaren Vale of Adelaide Hills as they also have wonderful wineries. Adelaide Hills is a bit more cooler climate than the others as its in the hills above Adelaide, but all are very good. Cheers, Wendy

Thanks Wendy. I will be the non-drinking driver, whilst my daughter will be the taster/buyer of wines.

Pleased you had a fabulous trip. I think the correct clothing is the key to being comfortable in all weathers in Antarctica. Nice to have the Arctic trip to look forward to.