Lets talk about something else---MARINA

fb0075

We were on Marina last year for 32 days - first 16 days Sydney to Auckland. That cruise was sold out 18 months in advance and many, many travelers were offered enormous cash payments to give up their cabin and take another cruise.

OTOH - the second 16 days was so poorly sold that folks that got on in Auckland heading to Papeete told fantastical stories about the discounts, large amounts of OBC, etc. that were offered to entice them to sail that journey. Many of these folks had booked in the 30 days prior to the sailing and the ship still sailed with around 1100 passengers vs 1250.

JMO - but they have to low ball some if not all of the FP cruises and it would certainly be easier to fill a 680 passenger ship.

BTW - since we were booked for the whole 32 days as a Grand Journey, we were not offered any discount or increased OBC. There were about 98 passengers doing the Grand Journey and we weren't terribly amused listening to the stories about the tremendous pricing offered for the second half of our journey!

We got what we paid for and the cruise was wonderful so no complaints except that it will be a long time before I get hooked into another Grand Journey!

I could have written this post pretty much word for word for the trip we just got off of this year.

One thing about the Sirena itineraries is that they are much more interesting around Australia, and are more varied than what has been offered in the past.

I haven't seen any postings about the Atlantis charter that Marina either recently did or is just completing. Anyone heard anything about it?

Paulchili,

Thanks for the info, I will be anxious to hear your impressions of the refurbishment when you do your Lisbon to London cruise as well as your suggestions for port excursion "must sees". We are doing Barcelona to London 2017 with stops in Lisbon and maybe some similar ports as your itinerary.

We typically arrange our own private excursions with others from our Roll Call but for our 2017 cruise we have the O Life 4 included port excursions. We are not a big fan of the ships excursions but hate to not utilize them since they are a free perk included in our booking. Wish they would rebate the 4 excursions $$ back to our booking and then we could book independently. Kinda like when you don't use the Oceania airfare.

Not sure on your booking, but on most O Life sailings you have the option of getting OBC, or a drink package, which is in answer to folks just like you that like to book independently.

Not sure on your booking, but on most O Life sailings you have the option of getting OBC, or a drink package, which is in answer to folks just like you that like to book independently.

You are correct.

However, it depends on whether OP has O Life or O Life Choice - in the latter one can choose which option to take; the former has PPG, free Internet and excursions (no OBC).

You are correct.

However, it depends on whether OP has O Life or O Life Choice - in the latter one can choose which option to take; the former has PPG, free Internet and excursions (no OBC).

That is correct. We have O Life as you have stated. Would love to just have cash reimbursement back as we have a nice OBC from our TA which will pretty much cover our alcohol [emoji4]

I agree with you on this, but I have more to say. They have a more authentic feel to the experience. Once a person has done Gaugin..they will never look back. I did and I was sorry.

Caroldoll, I have been very impressed by what I have read on the PG website. Great itineraries, sea days that are not on the Sirena itinerary. Pricing for similar cabin size is quite a bit more expensive on PG, is it worth it in your opinion?

PG does FP pretty much year round so more flexibility with dates. Last Sirena round trip Papeete for 2018 is in early March.

I could have written this post pretty much word for word for the trip we just got off of this year.

One thing about the Sirena itineraries is that they are much more interesting around Australia, and are more varied than what has been offered in the past.

I haven't seen any postings about the Atlantis charter that Marina either recently did or is just completing. Anyone heard anything about it?

I doubt you will. It was a gay cruise.

Caroldoll, I have been very impressed by what I have read on the PG website. Great itineraries, sea days that are not on the Sirena itinerary. Pricing for similar cabin size is quite a bit more expensive on PG, is it worth it in your opinion?

PG does FP pretty much year round so more flexibility with dates. Last Sirena round trip Papeete for 2018 is in early March.

PG is VERY MUCH WORTH IT, and you can go in October which is the best time of the year. Great, great local food and entertainment.

from July until the end of October. The closer you go to December, January, February, you are in monsoon season. March is getting CLOSE to a shoulder month. June is still very, very, hot and humid and then starting September and October it is wonderful. Just saying!

from July until the end of October. The closer you go to December, January, February, you are in monsoon season. March is getting CLOSE to a shoulder month. June is still very, very, hot and humid and then starting September and October it is wonderful. Just saying!

Thanks Caroldoll for your recommendation. September and October sound wonderful. One of our Snorkel guides in Bora Bora said September was his favorite season in FP. We were last there on Marina in April and had great weather but very humid!

Caroldoll, any insight you can offer based on your PG experience on cabin locations and sizes comparable to Marina for FP?