My week on the Escape - March 19th - 26th

ljrfrm

Great review. NCL owes you a commission. We are booked on the Oct 22 Escape cruise in a mini suite, large balcony cabin. After reading your review in The Haven, I called our TA and upgraded to The Haven for an extra $1000. The problem is that I'm trying to surprise my husband with this upgrade. I have to contain my enthusiasm. Your review is the first I've seen from this cabin. Where can I see pics of your review? You mentioned something about Facebook. Where? Still 6 months away UGH!

You will love the Haven - great move on your part!!! :)

I only posted one or two photos on my private Facebook page, not any other sites. I can try to put a few on here at the end. I will just need to figure out how to do that!! :) I'm a bit technologically challenged at times.

I'm dreaming about returning to the Escape in October! It will be a more last-minute decision depending on finances - but maybe I'll see you on board!!

OMG. It took me a few minutes to wipe the tears rolling down my face from laughing so much. We are on the Escape on May 21 with our 21 year old Grandson I will most likely try this slide but may not suggest it to my wife.

LOL, definitely don't show your wife my review!! I'm all for laughing at me - I still can't believe it happened!! You definitely need to try the slide - and report back to me!!!

I'm loving your review!

I sail in two weeks and I wasn't going to do the drop slide because what if I get stuck? But maybe I'll try it now because I know what to do ;)

Do it! Honestly, I will do it again. I just couldn't handle trying it again that same day - can you imagine how humiliating that would be to get stuck twice in one day. I'd walk the plank and keep going if that happened again!

On a side note- it really was fun!.........I think :)

Now everyone knows what to do when stuck..........

So son and I decide to head back to the Haven so I can get a drink and he can change to head out to Entourage. Husband headed back to the cabin after my Drop Slide fiasco. He didn't want to leave my bag etc on a chair as we went down the Aqua Slide, so he took everything back with him. I asked him to leave our shoes, my coverup and son's shirt. We grab our things and set off for the cabin. Wait? Our key cards are in the bag? What? How are we going to get into the Haven?? This is really not my day!

I told son that we will just head over there, and then call the room from the phone near there. Hopefully husband is in the room and not at the bar. I picked up the phone across from the Haven and just as I start to dial, husband walks out the Haven door. Now that's timing! It seems that son's phone vibrate and husband heard it. As he looked into the bag at the phone, he saw my key card and knew we couldn't get in. So, he came out to wait for us. Yay husband!!

I stopped by the Haven bar and grabbed a drink. I took my well-earned Pina Colada onto our balcony, grabbed my Kindle and settled into the lounger. The Carnival ship parked next to us was blasting some great music, and I alternated between reading, checking out the Victory across from us, watching the MSC Divina pull out, and looking for pier runners. It was nice and relaxing after my earlier escapades.

Son was still out at Entourage so husband and I showered and went to the Brewhouse to check out his ranking. What? Still 9th place? It seems that he is destined to finish in 9th - at least he made the top 10. Husband ordered a few beers and I got a few specialty drinks from their menu. Great service - as always! We stayed at watched the UVA game (Go Hoos!) and then walked over to the theater for the Crew Talent Show. We hadn't been to the theater once this trip (other than mustering) so I told husband we had to at least attend one show. The talent show was fun. There were several singers, a couple dancing and a few other acts. It wasn't anything over the top talent-wise but considering it was crew members, I thought they did fine. As always, the night ended with the crew all marching in singing and waving goodbye.

We debated where to go to dinner after the Talent Show finished. I was considering Food Republic (it was THAT good!) but decided to save money and we went back to the Haven Restaurant. I ordered Prime Rib yet again. One issue with the Haven Restaurant is there aren't too many options for non-seafood eating folks. I wasn't in the mood for chicken and I do love Prime Rib, so why not. I'm not complaining - it was good - just kind of seemed like I was in a rut. But who cares. I was going to order some white wine but went for a Cosmo instead. Delicious! While the service tonight was great, our food order took awhile to arrive. They kept coming over and apologizing. No worries. I don't have anywhere to go! I got the chocolate mousse for dessert which was devine. Mmmmmmm.

You will love the Haven - great move on your part!!! :)

I only posted one or two photos on my private Facebook page, not any other sites. I can try to put a few on here at the end. I will just need to figure out how to do that!! :) I'm a bit technologically challenged at times.

I'm dreaming about returning to the Escape in October! It will be a more last-minute decision depending on finances - but maybe I'll see you on board!!

LOL, definitely don't show your wife my review!! I'm all for laughing at me - I still can't believe it happened!! You definitely need to try the slide - and report back to me!!!

Just had to show that to my wife just to see her reaction. Priceless !!! She had just as many chuckles as I did . Love the way you describe what's going on. Somehow I don't think she will go for this ride.

Just had to show that to my wife just to see her reaction. Priceless !!! She had just as many chuckles as I did . Love the way you describe what's going on. Somehow I don't think she will go for this ride.

Tell your wife I double-dog dare her! :)

Bless you for the tip on the slide-stopping-tankini! That's my suit of choice...

Just love your review ~ I'm so ready for my cruise!

Yes, a tankini may be perfect for everything, other than the drop slide. Tuck it in, hold onto it, wear a different one........or get ready for the walk of shame, LOL.

Have a great time on your cruise!!!

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that we went back to the cabin and put our suitcases out in the hallway. We had packed up earlier in the day (how depressing) so it was easy to just place them out on the way to dinner.

After dinner we went by 5 O'Clock Somewhere to have a drink and say goodbye to Gene Bee. After my margarita, we went to Howl at the Moon. I really wasn't in a hurry to get there, as I found that I enjoy it more after 11 pm. That's when it's adult only and everyone (singers and audience) seems to have a bit more fun. Tonight at Howl at the Moon, they had a performer from After Midnight sitting in on drums. He was great - and really seemed to be having fun. I didn't go see After Midnight, as after reading the reviews, it just didn't seem like my cup of tea. I have read however how talented they are, and I saw that firsthand tonight.

11pm rolled around and things started hopping. The singers (and song choices) became a bit more vulgar. At that point, two young boys came walking in and sat on their mom's lap in the front row. They were probably 8 and 10ish. The performers stopped, mentioned to the parents that it was after 11 and adults only - and that if the kids were going to stay, be prepared for adults only material. I guess the moms didn't mind because they stayed the whole time we were there. They seemed to be enjoying themselves - especially hearing all the dirty words. We had a nice time and stayed until midnight. We wanted to go by and see Bong one last time so we left.

We went by to see Bong but he was closed! What? Oh no!! No last Raspberry Mojito. Bummer. We passed a few other bars as well that were closed (did everything close earlier - or did we stay out a bit later than most other nights??) so we decided to head back to the Haven bar. We got there and they were closing up also. I must have looked pitiful because he told me he'd make me my last drink!

I told him to surprise me and I expected something typical. Instead, he made me some concoction that was actually quite good. I don't remember what he even put in it, but he looked like a scientist in the middle of an experiment. He used an eyedropper and put a few blue drops of something just before serving it to me. Hmmmm, it was good. Interesting though - and it had no name. Just an invention. On a side note, the registers were already closed so he couldn't run my card for the drink. I appreciated that he still went ahead and made me one. Kudos to the Haven bar!

While he was making my drink we were chatting and I asked him what he thought of the UBP. His answer was interesting and something I've never thought of. He said the most of them find the UBP more work, BUT, it's a lot less stressful. He said that before passengers would get upset about their drinks, if they didn't like them, felt they weren't made right, or just because they felt like complaining to get a free drink. He said now the pressure is off, because the drinks are free - so there are less complaints and if there's an issue, they just order another drink. I didn't see this as him not caring anymore, or not trying to make a good drink (he was amazing BTW) but just noticing that although he's making more drinks, there's less stress.

Husband and I took our drinks out to the Haven pool area. We were there by ourselves and it was all lit up with the beautiful nighttime lights. It was so peaceful - and pretty. We sat down with our drinks and just soaked it all in for a few minutes. We then headed back to our cabin and sat out on our balcony on last time. Soon it was time to go to bed. We didn't want this day to end - because tomorrow means we are back in Miami. What a sad thought.

We went to bed sad, knowing that soon we would be forced off the ship. As we weren't flying home until Sunday, we were in no hurry to get off the ship. I saw that the Haven restaurant was only serving breakfast until 8:30 am, so we thought we'd sleep until 7:30 - which would get us to breakfast in time.

At 5:30 I was woken up by a beep. It was my text alert on my phone. I hadn't heard that noise in a week. I thought I had everything turned off, but I must have had just the roaming off - and once we were within range the texts came pouring in. Well, I don't think they actually poured - I think I only had 4, with one being from Dress Barn sending me a 25% off coupon.

I tried to fall back asleep but my mind started racing. Were we back at port in Miami? Were we still moving? I couldn't tell. I heard some moving around on the sundeck up above us. That was really only the second time I heard anything all cruise. Why would someone be on the sundeck at 5:30 am? I gave up on sleeping and went out to the balcony. I looked to my left and there were 4 men (they looked in the low 20's) on the sundeck talking and laughing. They seemed to have been up all night - I guess making the most of their last night on the ship. I didn't hear anything up above anymore - and my guess was it was them up on the sundeck - and now they've come down a level. As I looked out, I saw we were nearing land. I went and grabbed my bathrobe and a cup of coffee and came back out to sit.

Soon we passed by multiple other cruise ships. Wow, there are a lot in port already. I was a bit confused at where we were going, because we seemed to have passed where all the other ships were docked. It took about 45 minutes from when I first woke up, but then I saw it. The saddest sight one can see on a seven day cruise. I saw the exact balcony view we had on embarkation day. I recognized the road, houses, and other sights I saw from my balcony on that initial day. Well this is the pits. We really are back! Soon husband came out to join me, and we watched as we docked.

We woke up son at 8 am and went for our last breakfast. I usually get the steak and eggs my last day of a cruise. That way I have a huge breakfast and I'm full for the day. But - I was still full from the night before. So, I got a few eggs and my awesome bacon and called it a meal. I kind of went out with a wimper and not a bang - but, we got to see all our favorite servers one last time to say goodbye. After breakfast, we went back to our room and found Marivic. She gave us a huge hug goodbye and asked us to come back again. Oh - I sure hope we will!! I was glad I saw her (I didn't see her the night before) so I could give her an envelope with her tip. She earned it!!

I still needed to go look at our photos and decide what I wanted to buy. There were 5 photos I'm in love with from the ropes course and maybe one or two others from dinner. I don't have 10 I like, so the package didn't make sense. Husband was not happy with the prices (I agree - so expensive) so I needed to figure out what I was going to do. I went down and begged the lady for a discount. I was nice - and said please - but it didn't work. No discount other than my latitudes discount. So, what's a girl to do. I just couldn't justify spending that much money - so I bought one photo (of son and I together on the ropes course) and let the rest go. I'm still sad I didn't get the rest. My bank account is probably happy though! I returned to the cabin and husband was pleasantly surprised at my restraint.

Every time we sail, I always say we will stay on the ship until 10 am. We aren't in a hurry, probably can't get into our hotel room this early, and I want to enjoy every moment possible on board. But, every cruise it's the same. Around 9 am or so, we're ready to leave. The ship somehow has a way of closing everything down so it's just not worth it to stay on. That, and I guess we just come to terms with the inevitable fact that we're leaving. So let's just get it over with. So, at 9:30 we took our last walk down to the Haven Lounge. We took our last elevator ride down our secret passageway, and took our last walk off the ship. Sniff. Sniff. As we were leaving, crew members were lined up waving goodbye. I asked one of them if I could stay. He said no! :(

We were off the ship in 5 quick minutes. We found our luggage easily inside and lined up to go through customs. That line also took probably 5 minutes at the most. The next thing we knew, we were outside. All around us we saw happy, excited passengers eagerly anticipating their week on the Escape. How envious I was! I may have snarled at a few of them. Ok, I didn't - but I did wish a few a great trip and told them how lucky they were and to enjoy every moment. We called an Uber which arrived in 5 minutes. $6 later, we were at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami.

We got to the hotel and went to check in. The lobby was full of cruisers, checking out and heading to the port. Lucky them!! We checked in and as our room wasn't ready (which didn't surprise us) we checked our luggage into storage and found some chairs to set up shop. We sat around for about 2 hours - luckily we had plugs for our electronics and husband came through and brought gummy bears from our cabin. Our room was ready around 12:30 so we grabbed our luggage and went up.

The room was clean and I really don't have any complaints. Well, I guess my one complaint is the whole hotel seemed a bit old to me. We've stayed here before, and I don't remember it seeming old, so either my tastes have changed or it has aged. Again, the room was clean and the location was exceptional. Bayside Marketplace was across the street and the port was only a $6 ride away. So all was good.

After dropping off our luggage, we decided to walk across the street for lunch. Son didn't feel like going so husband and I took off. We walked around the marketplace, partly just to get some exercise and also to decide where to eat. I wasn't that hungry and told husband that I really just felt like wings. So, we went to Hooters. Going from the Haven Restaurant to Hooters in less than 5 hours. Culture shock! I bet son now wishes he came with us!! :) I got son a burger and mozzarella sticks to bring back. After a margarita and my wings, we got son's food and went back to the hotel. He was watching NCAA girl's basketball and was very happy when I gave him his food. I put on my swimsuit and went down to the pool.

While laying on the lounger I started chatting with a family that was heading out the next day on the Carnival Glory. We chatted about my cruise, the weather we had (they were worried about rain) and why cruising is so awesome. It was hot though - so after awhile I went back to the room. I read for awhile, I might have dozed a bit (after all, I had been up since 5:30!) and we just relaxed. 4:30 pm rolled around and where was Marivic with my treats? Oh, this will take some getting used to!!

Soon it was time for my Ducks to play. We turned on the basketball game and watched the first half. We then decided to go across the street to Bayside Marketplace again. It was our last night in Miami and I didn't want to just sit in. I had originally planned for us to go to South Beach - but between my Ducks and just being tired, I don't think anyone was in the mood. So, we walked across the street and found a bar that had a TV (Chili's had a bar outside with some TV's) and great music playing. We watched the second half of the game sitting at the bar (son seemed a little too comfortable at the bar - will have to keep an eye on that!) and eating dinner. I ordered a Turkey Club sandwich that was actually pretty tasty! I also had two margaritas - unfortunately my UBP didn't work!! The second margarita I ordered after my Ducks lost! Both the Oregon Ducks and I are going home - what a truly sad day!

After the game ended and I was done drinking my sorrows away, we walked around the Marketplace. They had a great band playing on the main stage (Bayside Marketplace is a great place to be on a Sat night) so we sat, listened and people-watched for awhile. Husband and son went to Haagen-Dazs and grabbed a cone - I just didn't have it in me to stuff anything else in.

We walked back to the hotel, watched TV for awhile and then went to sleep. Husband and I loved the king sized bed on the Escape. We were now in a double. I kept telling husband to move over but he claims he had nowhere to go. I should have put him with son - who seemed quite comfortable over on the double by himself! Our adventure is truly done. Tomorrow we fly home and back to reality.

We woke up around 8:30 and showered, packed and headed out of our hotel room. We decided to skip breakfast at the hotel and just grab some Starbucks or something at the airport. We went downstairs and stared longingly (and perhaps green with envy) at all the cruisers excitedly waiting for their ride to the port. It's so unfair that we are on our way home!

Husband called Uber and within about 5 minutes she arrived. I have to say that I've always had an excellent Uber experience.....until now! So our Uber driver pulls up and just sits there. Now, I know that they don't HAVE to get out and help us put our luggage in the car. But, I've always had Uber drivers get out of the car, greet us, and help us load our luggage. This lady didn't move. So, she popped the trunk and we piled all our luggage into the car, and climbed in with Ms. Uber. We told Ms. Uber we were going to the Miami airport - and off we went.

She had her phone on her lap so we couldn't see her route (usually they have them mounted on the dashboard). After awhile I see the exit to the airport. We drove right past it. WAIT! There goes the airport!! Huh?? Well, maybe she's going to the next exit. A more direct route maybe? So we then drive by the next exit and I know something's up. Husband mentions to her that we passed the airport - and she blamed it on Uber giving her the incorrect route. Uh no, I don't think so. She circled around and we backtracked to our exit. We find the terminal and she asks us what airline and we tell her United. So, of course she pulls up far from United and pops her trunk. Huh? At that point, I just want out - it would be quicker to walk the rest of the way ourselves. She apologizes for taking us on the scenic route and we grab our luggage and take off. Bye Ms. Uber. Husband said he thought she smelled like marijuana. I didn't smell anything, but he was up front with her so maybe?

We walk to United, check our baggage and went through security. Husband and son got TSA precheck and I didn't. Hey, what's with that?? Son thought that was pretty funny and waved to me while they got ushered through quickly. No worries, I slow everything down anyways with my bionic knees. I go through the xray scanner and they check out my knees and let me go. They don't feel the need to feel up my armpits like NCL I guess. Once through, we set off to find a Starbucks for coffee and food.

While drinking my coffee, I go onto my Uber app and rate my driver. I debated between two and three stars (I've never not given 5 stars before!) and decided on the two stars. Under comments I mentioned about our roundabout route to the airport which clearly cost us more money. Now, I should mention that I had a free $30 ride that I had been saving for the trip. Even with the scenic route, it still only cost around $21. But, I felt it needed to be mentioned. I also mentioned that she was unhelpful, and dropped us at the wrong entrance. I got a response fairly quickly back from Uber, apologizing and acknowledging that they checked the record and she had taken us the long way to the airport. And that they also noticed that we weren't out any money since it fell within our free ride. That's fine - I wasn't looking for anything - just felt they needed to know what a dud Ms. Uber was.

Our flight to Newark was pretty uneventful and we had a brief one hour layover before our connection back down to Virginia. Once again, we flew the scenic route. While in Newark, we went into the Red Carpet lounge for some free food. Obviously, we hadn't eaten enough this past week. I had some crackers and cheese and then found the trail mix and chocolate covered pretzels. I decided I had to bring some on the plane with me, so found some paper cups and filled them up. So now I'm hoarding food?? Wow, a new low for me. But without Marivic, what's a girl to do??

So we were on our next flight and a quick 45 minutes later we landed. Once outside the terminal we called an Uber. This must not be our Uber day, because our Uber driver cancelled on us. Once he heard we only lived 10 minutes from the airport, I guess he decided that we weren't worth his effort. I told husband let's bag the Uber and we took a taxi instead. Our taxi driver was slow as molasses but we eventually made it home.

Home, Sweet, Home. The cleaners had come while we were gone so at least it was nice to walk into the house. I had the terrible realization that I had to work the next day, and thus began my post-cruise depression. And what the heck was I going to fix for dinner?? The reality that our cruise was done set in - but what great memories we have!!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this review!!!! I felt like I was right there (in a non-intrusional, non-FKK sun deck gazing) way!!!!! It makes me even more excited for our Haven trip to hurry up and get here already. :D

Home, Sweet, Home. The cleaners had come while we were gone so at least it was nice to walk into the house. I had the terrible realization that I had to work the next day, and thus began my post-cruise depression. And what the heck was I going to fix for dinner?? The reality that our cruise was done set in - but what great memories we have!!

Hmm, I need to look into the House Cleaner thing just so I don't have to do it upon coming home. We have three cats and between a week of zero vacuuming, it ain't fun to come home to.

We forgot to buy some frozen grocery staples before we left. Our son had our car at University for the week writing his finals. Car-less, food-less, having to clean...I wasn't ready for all this upon our arrival home! ugh.

And the reality of going home sets in. Time to start figuring out when and where the next cruise will be!

Thanks for sharing your cruise with all of us:D

I have been pouring over all the cruises trying to figure it out. I have Alaska (Sun) already booked for summer 2017 but feel the urge to book another. I'd love to squeeze one in (might be a cheapo inside) before then. At least I can dream and hope. We'll see if it can happen!!

I loved this review -thank you so much for sharing it!

Thanks so much!! :)

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this review!!!! I felt like I was right there (in a non-intrusional, non-FKK sun deck gazing) way!!!!! It makes me even more excited for our Haven trip to hurry up and get here already. :D

Ha, this really made me LOL. Just remember - you can see a lot from Deck 18!! Have a great cruise!

Hmm, I need to look into the House Cleaner thing just so I don't have to do it upon coming home. We have three cats and between a week of zero vacuuming, it ain't fun to come home to.

We forgot to buy some frozen grocery staples before we left. Our son had our car at University for the week writing his finals. Car-less, food-less, having to clean...I wasn't ready for all this upon our arrival home! ugh.

The cleaners are the bomb! They only come once every 2-3 weeks, but for the brief 5 minutes that the house is clean (and it smells so good) it's amazing. Now, your car-less, food-less, non-cleaners welcome is definitely not the way to end a vacation. I say you need another cruise to re-do!!

Thanks so much!! :)

Ha, this really made me LOL. Just remember - you can see a lot from Deck 18!! Have a great cruise!

Hahahahaha My friend's and my husbands will be very disappointed. We'll be on the wrong side of the ship for the FKK witnessing. Hahaha[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hahahahaha My friend's and my husbands will be very disappointed. We'll be on the wrong side of the ship for the FKK witnessing. Hahaha[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I still can't believe I took a photo of them - and then it took me another 20 min or so to even realize they were all naked!

Oh - and send them to the sundeck on Deck 18 (right next to my cabin) for a birdseye view! :)

Edited by ljrfrm