Carrying on Luggage

daremi3

On my previous eight cruises, I left my luggage with the porters and have one small tote bag in the terminal. I am considering carrying on my luggage for the first time leaving from Port Canaveral. :eek:

I have new luggage this time and I want to keep it that way. And even with having FTTF the last two Breeze cruises, my luggage always arrives near dinner. I don't know if its because I stay on Spa deck- that maybe the last stop? Anywho, can anyone explain the process in the Port Canaveral terminal when carrying on luggage? :confused: I have FTTF this cruise as well and plan on dropping the luggage in the room upon boarding.

Thanks.

Which ship? We were on Victory out of Port Canaveral last weekend and our luggage was outside our door by the time we got to the cabin (around 1:45). I think that's the fastest we've ever gotten luggage. We did not have FTTF.

I don't blame you at all for wanting to carry on your own luggage. The one time they lost my suitcase, it was Port Canaveral. And it always takes us forever to get our luggage, even as platinum. Carrying on all my luggage is so easy, that I can't imagine not doing it. It's no hassle at all. If your suitcases have wheels, then all you need is a couple of working fingers, and it's the easiest thing in the world to carry it on board. Even before I was platinum, I would carry the luggage on board, then pick a spot up on lido deck, take turns getting food, and relax until rooms are ready. Very easy!

The luggage does have to fit through the scanners, but there is no limit on the length, so it would have to be quite enormous to not fit. You do have to lift it up to be scanned. They scan the suitcases just like they do the small carry-ons.

I started carrying on my luggage when I got new. It's not hard as long as you are healthy enough to pull/carry all you have. I don't worry now about late luggage or crushed stuff. I have had porters argue with me, told me I couldn't carry on. Miami was the worst. They were rude! I ignore them. As long as you follow the measurements listed online you are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The late luggage was on the Breeze Miami- twice in 2014 and once in 2015.

Only twice with FTTF-all on deck 11. And Miami's porters are the worse! I vow not to return...until Vista I guess.:p

This month, I'll be on the Magic out of Port Canaveral so just thought I'd ask first.

I only will have a 26" on wheels. As a single, I know to only possess what I can handle myself. And I'm a FT nurse and FT student,

this is my opportunity to RELAX! I'm not interested in playing dress up.

I was more concerned about my luggage being opened in front of everyone or possibly holding up a line. I always see people on Lido

with their luggage, but I never noticed them in the security area. Thanks for the info about the scanner.

Edited by daremi3

I don't think you will have a problem. If you are concerned about them opening the luggage, consider getting some "packing cubes" for inside of your suitcase. That way you can keep your personal items hidden/easy to find. Also keep all of your liquid items in one bag so it can easily be pulled out if necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't think you will have a problem. If you are concerned about them opening the luggage, consider getting some "packing cubes" for inside of your suitcase. That way you can keep your personal items hidden/easy to find. Also keep all of your liquid items in one bag so it can easily be pulled out if necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the packing tips!

"I have new luggage this time and I want to keep it that way."

I would think the airlines are way more rough on your luggage then the cruise lines. Some of the terminals are long walks, I could not think of reason to schlep my bags through the terminal

On my previous eight cruises, I left my luggage with the porters and have one small tote bag in the terminal. I am considering carrying on my luggage for the first time leaving from Port Canaveral. :eek:

I have new luggage this time and I want to keep it that way. And even with having FTTF the last two Breeze cruises, my luggage always arrives near dinner. I don't know if its because I stay on Spa deck- that maybe the last stop? Anywho, can anyone explain the process in the Port Canaveral terminal when carrying on luggage? :confused: I have FTTF this cruise as well and plan on dropping the luggage in the room upon boarding.

Thanks.

It has to fit thru the scanners.

Luggage does have to fit thru the scanners but the loophole is if they get there really late, like within 30 mins to an hour before sail away, then the luggage service stops taking luggage and the late passengers have to walk on with all their stuff. I have seen it many times, latecomers rolling on massive full size suitcases around 3-3:30pm for a 4pm sail away.

It's up to you if you want to take that risk though.

Handling my own possessions has never been a problem for me. I can't expect for someone to care for my items as I would. Caring for MY possessions is a priority. I love clean and pristine.

I bought this luggage because 1) effortless maneuverability 2) I like the way it looks.

I don't mind extra steps or reps. I will not always be thirty, but I plan on looking like it as long as I can. :cool:

I was more concerned about my luggage being opened in front of everyone or possibly holding up a line. I always see people on Lido

with their luggage, but I never noticed them in the security area. Thanks for the info about the scanner.

You don't need to worry about that. I carry on my soda cans, which has typically caused them to need to check them. It doesn't hold up the line at all. I go off to the side, where another security agent checks the cans. For whomever, while whatever is being checked, other guests will be going through the line, so they aren't being held up.

To fit thru the scanner, the luggage needs to be no larger than 16"H x 24"W and no length restrictions.

If you stand your piece of luggage on its wheels and the pull handle is up (next to your hand), that is the length. Think of the width as looking at it left to right. The height as from front (where the outer pockets are) to back (where the handle is located).

We have carried on 22" suitcases with no problem.

One piece of advice I always give is to never buy luggage that would upset you if it gets damaged. Life is too short for that kind of stress. :D

Also, anytime you check bags, spread the items around so that if a single bag is lost or delayed nobody in your group is completely screwed. Obviously this advice only works for multiple bags being checked for multiple people.

Edited by gtalum

One piece of advice I always give is to never buy luggage that would upset you if it gets damaged. Life is too short for that kind of stress. :D

Also, anytime you check bags, spread the items around so that if a single bag is lost or delayed nobody in your group is completely screwed. Obviously this advice only works for multiple bags being checked for multiple people.

The times I've checked luggage, I'll have a few changes of clothes and toiletries in my carryon bag.

Agree about the stress.

We bought a 25" IT bag in light yellow, and knew it wasn't going to stay pristine. It's been oversees many times, looks horrible but isn't damaged.

We carry on because I hate waiting for luggage to arrive.

Edited by SadieN

The times I've checked luggage, I'll have a few changes of clothes and toiletries in my carryon bag.

Agree about the stress.

We bought a 25" IT bag in light yellow, and knew it wasn't going to stay pristine. It's been oversees many times, looks horrible but isn't damaged.

We carry on because I hate waiting for luggage to arrive.

They let you carry on a 25" suitcase? That's pretty large, at least my 25 inch is. I'd love to carry mine on. What port was this?

They let you carry on a 25" suitcase? That's pretty large, at least my 25 inch is. I'd love to carry mine on. What port was this?

Every port, probably. Anything that fits through the scanner can be carried on, if you're so inclined.

The late luggage was on the Breeze Miami- twice in 2014 and once in 2015.

Only twice with FTTF-all on deck 11. And Miami's porters are the worse! I vow not to return...until Vista I guess.:p

This month, I'll be on the Magic out of Port Canaveral so just thought I'd ask first.

I only will have a 26" on wheels. As a single, I know to only possess what I can handle myself. And I'm a FT nurse and FT student,

this is my opportunity to RELAX! I'm not interested in playing dress up.

According to the Carnival website, your bag can only be up to 16".

According to the Carnival website, your bag can only be up to 16".

Actually it's 24x16xhowlongisthat. So technically you can bring on your golf clubs or skis, but not a box measuring 24x24x24

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app